Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! Sour Smelling Bath Towels

Help! Sour Smelling Bath Towels

I recently bought bath towels and left them in the washer for a week(YUK) I have washed and washed and after a fews days using them the smell returns. they are burgundy so I cant use bleach.

Is there anything that will get this out or do I have to buy new towels again?

It sounds as though they mildewed or something. I've done the same thing, but it's never been such a long-term problem. I would try soaking them in a washer with some Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda. It's good stuff, and inexpensive. It would be worth a try--just don't leave them for another week!

I have successfully eliminated some odors by running a wash cycle with some baking soda in it (I do this separately from the detergent because I don't know if you are supposed to mix the two?). Not sure if it will work on this kind of odor, but it might be worth a shot (and it is definitely cheaper than new towels!)

Claire

I've done this before, but never for a week. After a second wash, the clothes are usually fine.

If the baking soda doesn't work, try Surf. My mom uses it on all the boys' clothes, including barn clothes when my brother was milking cows. She says it's the best for eliminating odors.
    "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."
    ~Rajneesh

I wonder if you could add a few drops of essential oil like rosemary or tea tree in a rinse. Both are antimicrobials and have a nice scent to them.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Borax and/or a color safe bleach.
    The Queen of Clean's website might have more advice-check out Heloise as well.

Crystal
    "Feelin' Guilty
    For finding a Cheerio in my bra and then going ahead and eating it." Dooce

Allow them to soak in hot water and vinegar, then wash as usual. It really does help.

We had some smellies after we moved --- not sure what started it, but I have used baking soda for the most part, and I have tried vinegar -- but not together (that would give you classroom volcano science experiment in your washing machine ). I have also put a few squirts of fabreeze or a similar product in the washer -- kind of depends on what I have handy. Arm & Hammer also makes detergent that says it is super odor fighting, and I bought that -- it costs less than half what Tide does and gets my clothes just as clean.

Mildew usually doesn't like sun... maybe after you've done the baking soda and/or vinegar you could give them a good long dry in the sun? I don't know if it would do anything but I've always liked the fresh air dried feel and smell. Sure hope it works!

Kim

thanks for all of the info, I was going to try putting vinager and baking soda in the washing machine together, But I will try the baking soda first and see what happens. then soaking them in vinager if that doesnt work

I have tried drying them outside but that didnt work either.

thanks!!

Poor Laurie!! Hope some of these suggestions work for you!

Peggy