Community Message Boards

Thread: Pillsbury quickbread banana bread mix?

Question Pillsbury quickbread banana bread mix?

Hi, I use the Pillsbury banana bread quick bread mix quite a bit, and although I know I could probably make it from scratch, it's not likely, so....anyone know if I can make it without the oil? To help lower the fat content.

I always add in a mushy banana. I was thinking that perhaps the mushy banana could replace the oil? Would that work?

If anyone has a lowfat, but still tasty banana bread recipe from scratch, I would like that, too. Just in case I get more ambitious. thanks!

Nwheeler, I think you could replace most of the oil with applesauce. That seems to be a trick with low-fat baking. But wait and see what others say! Martha

this is the BEST banana bread and it just so happens to be low fat. it does not taste low fat, though.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Epicurious Low-Fat Banana Bread

Recipe By : posted by catharine
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 large eggs
    3/4 cup sugar
    3 ripe bananas -- 1 cup smashed
    1/3 cup buttermilk
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    1 3/4 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly grease 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2-inch pan; dust with flour. Using electric mixer; beat eggs and sugar in large bowl until thick and light, about 5 minutes. Mix in smashed bananas, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt over mixture; beat until just blended. Transfer batter to prepared pan.

Bake bread until golden brown on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Turn bread out onto rack and cool.

Makes 1 loaf.

Source:
    "Epicurious website"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 254 Calories; 3g Fat (11.9% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 51g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 47mg Cholesterol; 360mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES :
    Here, buttermilk replaces nearly all of the oil. Very ripe bananas give the best flavor.

We also like the banana bread Val posted above. Somtimes I add cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. If I want to splurge, I also add some Skor toffee chips.

As for the packaged stuff, you could use drained applesauce in place of the oil - although the mashed banana might add enough extra moisture. Keep in mind though that it will yield a different texture than when made with oil.

But anyway here is my favorite banana bread recipe...

Banana Bread
    Source: Laurel's Kitchen
    Yield: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup ripe bananas
    juice of lemon
    1/3 cup drained applesauce*
    cup brown sugar
    1 cups whole wheat flour
    teaspoon salt
    teaspoon baking powder
    teaspoon baking soda
    cup wheat bran (or wheat germ)

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly coat an 8x4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and applesauce. In a small bowl, mash bananas and add lemon juice; add to sugar mixture.

In another large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Gradually mix dry ingredients into the sugar-banana mixture. Transfer batter to the prepared pan.

Bake at 375F for 45 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
    Per Serving: 172 Calories; 1.3g Fat; 5g Protein; 38.4g Carbohydrate; 4.6g Dietary Fiber; 47mg Cholesterol; 306mg Sodium.

*Recipe originally called for 1/3 cup oil; I use drained applesauce and use that for the nutritional info.
    Kristin

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

Val, I will take your word on your recipe (that it's the best). You are always right on matters of taste. I'm printing it now and just have to wait for my bananas to ripen. Thanks. Martha

well, everyone has a different opinion of what is best, but I think it is great. maybe due to the buttermilk. I use real buttermilk because I am a buttermilk snob. I can't vouch for it if it is made with powdered buttermilk or milk/vinegar. let me know how you like it!

thanks everyone, I have printed out both recipes and will try them some winter weekend, once I have some tired bananas.

I will also experiment with the applesauce in the mix. Thanks!

Just wanted to say, I have Val's Banana Bread in the oven now, and it smells great! Never fear, I used real buttermilk; I had some in Ziploc bags in the freezer. Will post more after I taste it! Martha

Editing to say, it was wonderful! I took it to preschool and the kids inhaled it AND two teachers came into my room looking for a piece. My only regret is, DS slept too late and never got a piece. He's going to be bummed when he finds out it's gone.
    Last edited by memartha; 01-10-2003 at 01:06 PM.