Community Message Boards

Thread: Mint Extract vs. Peppermint Extract

Post Mint Extract vs. Peppermint Extract

Is there a noticeable difference in the taste of mint extract and peppermint extract? I only have mint extract in my cupboard, but I have a few cookie and brownie recipes I want to try that use peppermint extract. Are the two extracts interchangeable, or should I go to the store to buy peppermint extract? Please advise. Thanks!
    The road to someday leads to nowhere.

I would say they are the same thing.
    The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

Mint extract contains both oil of spearmint and oil of peppermint but I would use whatever I had on hand for the recipes.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I once used mint extract instead of peppermint in a chocolate cookie recipe because that is all I could find at the store, and in a word...BLECH!!! To me they taste very different. Mint extract is more like the minty toothpaste flavor(spearmint). Whereas peppermint complements chocolate much better(IMHO!). Just my(and my taste buds 2 cents)!

Karen

Ditto what Karen said.... I made Mint Brownies once and only had Mint extract. They were so yucky that we just threw them away.

Kim

Originally posted by KimKelly
    Ditto what Karen said.... I made Mint Brownies once and only had Mint extract. They were so yucky that we just threw them away.

Kim
    Double Ditto!!!!! Mint is really spearmint -- which I learned from this board. Most recipes calling for mint extract mean peppermint extract. I honestly don't even know what people use spearmint extract for unless they are making GUM. Ick. Maybe it's good in iced tea.

the McCormick brand mint extract is a mixture of spearamint and peppermint (it says on the label), as Sneezles said. I only used it once (to make cream cheese mints at Christmas) and it tasted fine. In fact, I also made a batch of the same mints with peppermint extract and the two batches tasted almost the same.

so I guess it depends on what kind of mint extract you buy.

Originally posted by valchemist
    the McCormick brand mint extract is a mixture of spearamint and peppermint (it says on the label), as Sneezles said. I only used it once (to make cream cheese mints at Christmas) and it tasted fine. In fact, I also made a batch of the same mints with peppermint extract and the two batches tasted almost the same.

so I guess it depends on what kind of mint extract you buy.
    Interesting. That's the brand I inadvertently used in a mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe. DH thought it was okay, but I was terribly disappointed because the mint tasted "off". Maybe I am overly sensitive to spearmint.

yes, everyone's tastes are different.

I just went down to check the jar to be sure...
    the McCormick's jar lists oil of peppermint and oil of spearamint on the label.

Claire and Val,
    That's the same brand I had used in my chocolate cookies that were dumped in the trash. Perhaps our taste buds are just more sensitive to spearmint in any amount!? I've subsequently made them with McCormick peppermint extract and they turned out fine. Even DH agreed with me on this one.

Karen

A-ha, so now I'm realizing why my mint Christmas cookies from a few years ago were so awful. They were roll-out cookies, flavored with mint and dyed green with food coloring, and drizzled with chocolate. But by the time I got done rolling out a batch, the smell in my kitchen was nauseating. Spearmint gum is right - yuck. It never occurred to me that it was the kind of mint extract that was the culprit.

So I'm curious, what IS McCormick's mint extract good for? Anna, have you found any other use for yours?

Originally posted by aggie94

So I'm curious, what IS McCormick's mint extract good for? Anna, have you found any other use for yours?
    No. Maybe I'll make gum.

I'm glad I asked

I had a feeling that peppermint extract would make it's way on my shopping list this week. I have heard that there is a taste difference...I just didn't know what it was. It's spearmint, which I loathe. I'm trying to figure out why I bought the mint extract to begin with. I have a whole unopened bottle (it's McCormick's) and no recipes to use it in. I think the trash can may make a new friend today.

Thanks for all of your input!!!
    The road to someday leads to nowhere.