Community Message Boards

Thread: Is there a substitute for tomato paste?

Is there a substitute for tomato paste?

I know that's kind of crazy, but I'm making the merlot pot roast in the crock pot tomorrow (recipe from this bb--Wendy's?), and I don't have tomato paste. Arrggh! I do not want to make yet another trip to the grocery store in the morning, but I don't want to ruin the recipe either. Is it possible to sub?
    Thanks.
    TeriK

I have successfully used canned tomato sauce (like Hunt's or Contadina's smallest can) in a crockpot chicken and mushroom dish (I don't remember which one at the moment). I'm not familiar with the recipe you mention, but it seems like this sub. should be fine.
    You may want to cook the recipe down a little longer if thickness of the sauce is an issue...or cut back a little on some other liquid.
    Jane

JaneStarr is right - here is what www.foodsubs.com says:

tomato paste = (in Britain) tomato puree Substitutes: tomato sauce (Use twice as much, but compensate by reducing another liquid in recipe. Tomato sauce has salt, pepper, and other seasonings added; tomato paste includes only salt.) OR tomato puree (Use twice as much, but compensate by reducing another liquid in recipe. Tomato puree is unseasoned, while tomato paste has salt added.)

Thanks so much. I will give this a try.
    TeriK

teri, i sometimes use ketchup and it works fine!

in fact, i made a beef pot pie that called for tomato paste for an ingredient in the gravy, didnt have any so used ketchup. we all agreed that it was much better than the one i made with the tomato paste! go figure!

depending on what else is in the recipe, I've used ketchup
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Originally posted by wallycat
    depending on what else is in the recipe, I've used ketchup
    Ditto
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge