Community Message Boards

Thread: (Spicy) Sesame Green Beans

Thumbs up (Spicy) Sesame Green Beans

I love Szechwan-type green beans and tried this recipe tonight (with jasmine rice and the famed fish in ginger sauce) – I really liked ‘em! Would be even better made with Chinese long beans. I used a little over a pound of beans so should have cut back the oil – but I kept the red pepper and sesame amounts the same. Mmmmm, good and spicy!

Sesame Green Beans
    (From Rachel Ray/"30 Minute Meals")

1-1/2 pounds green beans, washed and trimmed
    1 tablespoon wok or vegetable oil - 1 turn of the pan in a slow stream
    1 teaspoon dark sesame oil - several drops or a drizzle
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds - a handful
    Coarse salt

Steam green beans covered in 1/2-inch boiling water for 2 minutes. Transfer beans to a colander and run under cold water. Drain well.

Heat a wok shaped skillet or large nonstick frying pan over high heat. Go once-around-the-pan with wok or vegetable oil, add several drops sesame oil, and crushed pepper flakes. The pan will smoke. Add beans and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add sesame seeds and coarse salt and toss to coat beans evenly.

Ooh, that sounds good--and easy. Dh's favorite veggie is green beans. Since he eats few other green vegetables, I'm always in search of new ways to prepare them. This one is a definite maker for us. Thanks for posting.
    TeriK