Community Message Boards

Thread: Now that's a cookbook challenge!

Now that's a cookbook challenge!

Have you heard about this woman? She decided to make every recipe in "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" in a year's time!!
    http://blogs.salon.com/0001399/2002/08/25.html

You can click on the calendar to follow her progress day-by-day. She's a great writer, but how can she work, cook, and write every single day?!

Wow, now that's ambition!! 536 recipes...I don't think I could do it. Jeanne might be up to the challenge....
    Bakers have the best buns.
    "Cookie Bearchild" by Boyds Bear

Julie Powell is a friend of a friend. Canice, I'm so glad you posted this! I told Claire797 about the blog but was a little hesitant to post it on the CL boards because some of the entries are not PG and I didn't want to offend anyone. I hope everyone gets a chance to check it out and post some comments. Julie could definitely use all the moral support she can get in this effort. I try to read it every day.

Laura
    BACON - A Los Angeles librarian reports she finally found it necessary to revoke a gentleman's library card. Because her repeated letters to him, telephone calls, and face-to-face pleas still failed to break him of the peculiar habit of using strips of raw bacon as bookmarks.

-Boyd's Book of Odd Facts

This is so fun to read - she's a very funny writer! I've only just started but feel like I have to read the whole thing.

How much weight has she gained? Everything she makes seems to include a stick of butter!

Thank you so much for sharing this site! I have spent the past hour reading some of her entries-I am addicted!
    She is a great writer and very ambitious. her husband sounds like a great guy as well.
    I noticed you could make a donation-why would anyone do this. Donate to what? her food budget? Well I won't be doing that but I will keep reading!
    Thanks again Canice.
    And Laura-can you tell us any thing more about Julie?
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

If she hasn't already, she'll get to make some great French Bread. Julia's recipe is considered the classic by many chefs and writers. I made them and was impressed. I will say that it is a challenge I would not undertake.

I just got Mastering the Art of... just the other day and I'm excited to read it and follow along with Julie.

She's a very entertaining writer!

Thanks for posting this site!
    kim

"Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love." -Charlie Brown

Verrrry funny. This will make for some good reading. Thanks for the link. What an undertaking!
    TeriK

I'd be lucky to make all those recipes in my lifetime!
    Lori

I want to know when someone takes on The French Laundry Cookbook. To prep the pre-ingredients alone could take a year!
    "There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."

Question What happened to Julie?

I was reading the blog, which I found very funny and entertaining, but it looks like the last post was on Nov. 29. What happened??

If you click on "home" under the "navigation" bar you'll get the December and January entries.
    Yes, I suppose I should have forewarned that the blog contains what my father might have called "colorful" language. But she really is a hoot.

She is hilarious! Thank you. Only problem is, I want to try some of those cream/butter/wine/ etc. recipes! And I do have the book - My mom's old copy.
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds

Well, I feel like such a sloth. I started reading early this morning and read all the entries!!!!! My back is killing me but I am amazed at her effort. What I want to know is how much money this is costing her. Do you think that people are really sending donations?

This is for kimmurphy94 and anyone else who is new to Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, volumes 1 & 2.

I've owned these volumes for over thirty years and enjoyed them tremendously. The best thing about them is that Julia clearly describes a technique which you learn and can then apply in many dishes.

Here are some of my favorite recipes:

From volume 1:Chicken Breasts Sauteed in Butter (p. 270), Beef Stew with Rice, Onions and Tomatoes (p. 321), discussion of broccoli (p. 455), Braised Sauerkraut (p. 498).

From volume 2: whole section on zucchini recipes, pages 362 - 376.

The recipes are higher in fat that most modern ones. I have found that I can use less fat, and/or use lower fat techniques.

If you are thinking about buying these books, I would suggest printing some money in the basement and getting the hard-cover editions. Not only will they lie flat, but will last a lifetime even with hard use. Also, you might want to start with volume 1 and add volume 2 later.

I, too, am totally addicted to this blog! (I had never even HEARD of a blog, before reading this thread!) I am not letting myself read it at work, but read a lot this weekend. I think I'm about halfway through the December entries. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!!

Thanks for posting this, she is hysterical AND colorful! I've bookmarked it so I can read it all over the next few days.
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Originally posted by kima
    Thank you so much for sharing this site! I have spent the past hour reading some of her entries-I am addicted!
    She is a great writer and very ambitious. her husband sounds like a great guy as well.
    I noticed you could make a donation-why would anyone do this. Donate to what? her food budget? Well I won't be doing that but I will keep reading!
    Thanks again Canice.
    And Laura-can you tell us any thing more about Julie?
    From what I've heard about Julie she is a really interesting person. She grew up in Austin, TX and her husband is her high school sweetheart. I met her a few years ago at our mutual friend, Hannah's wedding. From what I can gather she is like many of us here on the BB, toiling away at an 8 to 5 desk job and dreaming of a foodie life of some variety.

Kima-Apparently some people have donated money to her. It does seem weird to me and I don't plan on doing that. It's an expensive undertaking for all that meat, cream, and butter but it must be a labor of love.

Laura
    BACON - A Los Angeles librarian reports she finally found it necessary to revoke a gentleman's library card. Because her repeated letters to him, telephone calls, and face-to-face pleas still failed to break him of the peculiar habit of using strips of raw bacon as bookmarks.

-Boyd's Book of Odd Facts

Bumping up ...

Just got off a marathon phone call with the friend who hooked me up with Julie, and I thought that, given that a number of BBers seem to enjoy following her saga, I'd bring this thread/blog back to life.
    Happy reading, and welcome to time-sink central........

Just wanted to update ya'all that this hit the LA Times this morning in Russ Parson's column. There's a whole article about it. (See now I feel so hip, 'cuz we knew about it months before thanks to Canice - of course maybe that's just how long it takes to get it published. )
    The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

I've been reading her blog faithfully ever since Canice made us aware of it. She is SO funny!

I faithfully read her blog every day too. She is so funny and a great writer.