Community Message Boards

Thread: Hand Blender or Regular Blender?

Hand Blender or Regular Blender?

I don't have a decent blender and would like to get one. I am wondering if one those hand blenders (like the Braun Multiquick Pro one) would do the trick. I would like to be able to puree soups and sauces which I know the hand blender does very well. But can you use it to make smoothies?
    I don't have alot of counter space available and I need to leave room in case I ever am so fortunate as to get a KA.
    I'd like to hear which blender you all have and which one you recommend. Thanks!
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

I use my Braun Hand-blender all the time to make individual servings of smoothies right in the big serving glass...but not this time of year in CT...Brr..

I almost never use my big blender.

Jane

I have both....I mainly use my hand-held when I don't want to lug big pots of soup. I never thought to use the blender for smoothies and stuff in glasses.
    The only positive for having a blender is this "vortex" pull when it blends that Cook's Illustrated went into explaining, which means it does a better job. I bet if you only had one, it would be like comparing pearls or diamonds...how would you know there was a better grade unless it was sitting right next to the other
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I use my hand blender for soups all the time and for 1-2 serving size smoothies. I love it so much!!! No messy pouring of soups into blenders or cleaning exploded soup off the ceiling.

--calvingirl

Another vote for the hand blender. As noted, it's fantastic for soups and it does make nice smoothies in individual big glasses, too.

Between my hand blender and my food processor, I hardly ever use my "regular" blender.

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

I'm glad you asked this. I have been interested in the hand blenders for some time. I don't like to use my regular blender because it's such a hassle to clean, etc. Seems like the hand blenders are a lot more convenient. Good luck with your search.
    TeriK

I love my hand blender. I don't know what I did before I got it!
    Lori

If you used a narrow enough vessel to hold the smoothie ingredients, you would probably be able to use a hand blender to do the job. Hand blenders require you to move the blade vertically in order to blend ingredients thoroughly. Regular blenders depend on a vortex action and draw ingredients down. If you think you don't need a regular blender for other things (give that some thought), a hand blender may suit your needs.

The good news is that if you decide down the road you need a regular blender, they don't cost a fortune.
    "There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."

Maureen,

I don't even own a regular blender but I bought a hand blender about two years ago and I wouldn't want to be without it! I bought a $20 Braun model and I've been quite pleased with it, though I know they sell a $50 model too, with more attachements and a stainless steel body (I think). The plastic body on mine has turned a subtle shade of red from going into pots of soups and sauces. I also use it to puree winter squash instead of mashing it. I definitely recommend the hand blender.

-E.

I love my hand blender and it is so much easier to use for pureeing soups than the hassle of putting it into a blender container.

The only things that I use a regular blender for is grinding spices and vegetables for my spice mixtures and an occasional margarita. My regular blender (harvest gold, circa 1970's) finally kicked the bucket last week. I will be getting a new one soon because after trying minifood processors, etc. it does the best at grinding spices, etc.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Wendy, have you tried a coffee grinder for those spices? I find that does a great job. You can clean it by grinding rice between uses. Very easy, efficient, and it takes up very little space. I don't drink coffee - just use the grinder for spices, flax seeds, etc.

- Elaine

I've done spices in a coffee grinder too, but it won't make a margarita -- or only a very tiny one!

I currently own all 3 (blender, hand blender and coffee grinder), but I haven't used the hand blender yet. Got it for Christmas and can't decide if I want to upgrade to the cordless model.

Originally posted by Beth
    I've done spices in a coffee grinder too, but it won't make a margarita -- or only a very tiny one!

I currently own all 3 (blender, hand blender and coffee grinder), but I haven't used the hand blender yet. Got it for Christmas and can't decide if I want to upgrade to the cordless model.
    Beth, FWIW, while I wouldn't want to be without my hand blender, there have been times when I wished it were cordless. I don't know what the price difference is but if I had known then what I know now (how much I use it and like it) I might have gotten the cordless model.

- E.