Community Message Boards

Thread: Is the frozen fish at Sam's/Costco any good?

Is the frozen fish at Sam's/Costco any good?

I was craving some Mahi Mahi last week, but passed when I saw the prices. While I was at Sam's Club yesterday, I noticed they had frozen Mahi Mahi filets. I was wondering if any of you have had bought the fish from a place like this and what your opinion was. the price was good, but not if it doesn't taste good. TIA, Laura

I'm probably not a fair judge, because I really don't like fish. The only fish I really enjoy is ahi tuna and halibut. I recently bought frozen halibut at Costco, fixed it like I usually do the fresh, and promptly threw it in the trash. I gagged before I could swallow it. DH, however, thought it was okay, but pronounced it fishy. Maybe if you're more of a fish-tolerant person, it would be acceptable, but I'll never buy it again. This is one of the few Costco items I've ever purchased that is on my do-not-buy list.
    If this is the worst thing that happens all year, I think I can deal with it!

I've never had the seafood that Coscto SELLS frozen, but I've bought their fresh (for salmon, the price is identical, fresh or frozen) and repackaged and froze when I got home. I highly recommend this approach -- it's worked well for me. I'm having the Pecan Crusted Tilapia tonight made with Costco's fresh/frozen tilapia.

i've bought some fresh-frozen fish pre-packaged from my supermarket, and so far, i've been less than thrilled. i also am not a big lover of fish... there is one package of swordfish i'm waiting to finish in the freezer, and after that, i'm sticking to fresh fish ONLY!

Hmmmm.... not the overwhelmingly favorable replies I was hoping for! Thanks, though. Once I get a larger freezer, I might try the fresh/frozen fish!

I buy the salmon and the cod filets and the tilapia. The salmon is excellent and the others are pretty good. I don't eat meat, only fish so it is good to have on hand for a good protein source and much more cost effective than buying fresh everyday. Hope this is a more favorable reply

jennifer

I have always had good luck with the salmon and the shrimp.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Salmon f rom Costco

We buy the fresh also, but we often buy the frozen and just keep it in the freezer for fast healthy meals. It defrosts so fast. I just put my families favorite sauce on it and bake and they are happy campers. And I am happy because they have eaten something other than beef! My mom even bakes it frozen and is pleased with the results. I haven't tried that myself yet.

I've been buying fish from warehouse stores for years and have never made a bad purchase. Most fish is shipped frozen and is thawed by the time we get it. Unless you live within 20 miles from where it was caught, assume it was frozen.

I have portioned the fish or meat at home and frozen it without incident.

Even shrimp in the bag (with the shell split and the vein removed) is a good purchase when you need to cut a prep-corner or two, say for a party.
    "There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."

If the fish is frozen on the boat, it's the next best thing to fresh. A few weeks ago I saw swordfish on sale at the market. I asked the woman behind the counter if I'd have to use it right away because it was labeled "previously frozen." No problem she said, they are frozen on the boat. She then got me several steaks that were still VERY frozen from out back. I popped them in my freezer and used them later. They were as good as fresh in my opinion. I think it just depends on how quickly they were frozen and if they were kept at a consistant temp.during shipping.

I buy both the fresh and frozen salmon from Costco. The frozen is great because it is individually packaged an the portion is the perfect size. It thaws really quickly too - so it's great to have on hand when you don't want to shop. Costco is one of the few places around here that I would buy seafood at.

Exclamation Sam's Club Frozen Scallops

If you go to Sam's and are eyeing their frozen scallops, check the ingredients list and make sure they ARE scallops! My sister bought some for me and I was cooking them, and noticed (1) they were all the same size and shape, and (2) the texture was odd.

I took the package, hunted down my reading glasses (I'm REALLY far-sighted) and read the ingredients: fish, some scallops and beef plasma!!! :mad:

They were gross-tasting, my cats wouldn't come near them and even my Labrador Retriever (for which read 'garbage disposal) spat them out and looked at me as though to ask why I was trying to poison him!
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

I have purchased both the frozen cod fillets and the mahi-mahi from Sam's club and both have been very good in my opinion.
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart."
    Helen Keller

Beejay---I just RAN to check my Costco scallops because they are so good. The only ingredient in those is sea scallops. WHEW! That is so gross that your had beef plasma in it.

I also buy the frozen salmon fillets from Costco and love them. I have also bought catfish and those are pretty good as well.

I really like the frozen salmon I buy at Sam's.

I've purchased the frozen mahi mahi and halibut from Costco and they tasted great. If you have a Trader Joes nearby, they also have great frozen fish, shrimp...etc

we get the frozen salmon at costco all the time...it's especially good in the curried coconut salmon and greens recipe

I have found the Costco frozen cod to be excellent. I was told that it is flash frozen on the boat. Most "fresh" cod you find has been previously frozen unless it expressly states "NOT PREVIOUSLY FROZEN". So why not skip the thawing in the store and thaw it yourself when you need it?

Renée
    Happiness is a good piece of chocolate and a good cup of coffee.

Living in the Midwest, I have found better quality seafood in the "flash frozen" form. It seems that the "previously frozen" fish sold in the supermarkets is held for too long, in my opinion. I have purchased "previously frozen" salmon, etc. from the supermarket only to find it spoiled when I open the package the next day, and in some instances, the SAME day!

Whole foods has a great chest-type freezer that is compartmentalized with individually shrink-wrapped fish steaks/filets of all sorts. What a find! I haven't spoken to the fish man yet to ask if they get them delivered frozen like that, but I'll bet they do.

Also, I'd like to mention that the frozen shrimp and sea scallops from Costco are wonderful! The sea scallops are huge and are packaged with no additive other than the fish! Last year when I was researching scallops, there was a thread on this BB. I'll see if I can find a link.Here it is: http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...light=scallops

d
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

Certainly have

I've purchased frozen Cod, Tilapia, and Tuna at COSTCO/BJ's and it isn't bad. Of course I prefer fresh but I can get some good fresh stuff here in Norfolk without much difficulty. Regardless, the frozen fish at the Warehouses is good - at least in my book. Especially when I'm in a gotta have fish mood.
    Les

I too have the most luck with the frozen shrimp. I don't think scallops should be frozen, ruins the point. For fish, we prefer fresh. But it's nice to have the frozen fillets on hand. Sometimes frozen is all we can get, then we choose recipes where we can cook the fish while it is still frozen. Fish loses moisture and nutrients as it thaws. So... yes. I've used the "flash frozen" fish fillets with recipes like http://www.therecipebox.com/members/...sh/fis0004.htm
    with good results. paT

DH does NOT like fish, but once in a while I can sneak it. I go to TJ to get my frozen fish, have used talpia, halibut and fillet of sole. All VERY MILD. The prices are not bad.
    Curleytop

Well I think I will try some the next time I go. In order to get my son to eat fish, I usually have to use some type of teriyaki marinade, so while it might not taste as good as fresh in my mind, I think it will work. Plus, at almost half the price, it is worth a try at least once. Thanks for all your responses.