Community Message Boards

Thread: America's Test Kitchen: Dutch Ovens

America's Test Kitchen: Dutch Ovens

Hi all - I found this interesting article on the web. I thought you might all find it interesting as well.

My favorite, Berndes, didn't fare so well. Well, what do they know?

Catharine

I have the smaller of my mother's old Magnalite dutch ovens, and I love it. I don't know if it's sold any more. About 15 years or so ago, I bought my MIL the large, Oval Magnalite and she loves it.

Jane

I have 2 smaller sizes of Le Cruset and I love to cook in them. My DH recently donated one of his camping Lodge 7qt cast-irons because I can't seem to pay $170 for the larger Le Cruset. I was not really surprised by the results of their test. What did concern me is the comment that cast iron needed regular seasoning...wrong!!!!! The only time you need to re-season cast iron is if for some reason you feel compelled to wash the pot/pan with soap.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Jane,
    I also have a Magnalite Dutch Oven and I don't think I could cook without it since I use it for so many things. I believe they have a website and that they are still sold.

Catharine, I can't get there from here. The link you posted didn't work for me. Is it because you have to be a member of that site to access?

This is very intersting...

I once did my own test when I had to cook enough braise for a crowd. So I did one batch in my All-Clad stainless steel stock pot and one batch in my Le Creuset.

After a couple of hours; the meat in the LeCreuset was for tender, but the All-Clad was still tough - I ended up cooking it for a much longer time.

I prefer my LeCreuset for this reason, so was surprised when the All-Clad was preferred.
    kim

"Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love." -Charlie Brown

lsdesign, I was unable to access the site with Netscape...I had to use IE.

sneezles, just wondering what 2 smaller sizes of Le Creuset you own and what do you use them for? I have the large dutch oven which I love. I am thinking of buying another piece, but am not sure what to buy.

Originally posted by deb
    sneezles, just wondering what 2 smaller sizes of Le Creuset you own and what do you use them for? I have the large dutch oven which I love. I am thinking of buying another piece, but am not sure what to buy.
    I have a 4qt and a 2qt. The 2qt I use for large amounts of gravy, as a casserole, or a large saucepan. The 4qt I use like a Dutch oven as it's a great size when I'm cooking for justDH and myself. They were both part of a set that I bought 25 years ago!!! There was also 2 saucepans and 2 skillets. I bought them very very very cheap...$25 for the entire set! So you can see why I have a hard time buying just one pot at the normal price !
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I have big KitchenAid that I use for making soup and I love it, but also want a LeCreuset. I've found a good source for getting the one I want at a reasonable price, but am faced with a small (and probably silly) dilemma: Whether to get the 7 quart round one, or the 6.5 quart oval one. Logic tells me just to go with the bigger pot, but for some weird reason I really prefer the oval shape. I have no good reason why . The flip side of simply going bigger is that, for the difference of half a quart, just get what you like. Does anyone have the oval model? If so, why did you choose it over round? TIA
    PS: Thanks a lot for posting the link, Catherine - I hardly ever visit their site since I'm not a subscriber.

I'm kind of partial to the oval shape, myself. My CP is oval and it is very pratical for fitting whole poultry and beef "steaks". I do remember reading somewhere (maybe C.I.) that you get better evaporation in a shallower pot with more surface area. I'm imagining that the oval would fit this category.

Jane

I acutally have the All Clad Dutch oven, but I have been lusting after a big Le Creuset. Huh.

I have a 5 1/2 quart round Le Creuset that I absolutely love. It was an expensive purchase for me (Christmas present to myself 2 years ago!), but well worth it. Sometimes I wish I'd bought a 7 quart, but the 5 1/2 is usually plenty big. Of course after I bought mine, I discovered that Le Creuset has factory stores in various cities around the US--not where I live, but where I travel now and then. They have great deals, especially if you buy a few pieces at a time--I think it's 20% off the factory store prices (which are already significantly reduced) if you buy 5 pieces at a time (each lid actually counts as a piece). So, there is a way to buy cheaper Le Creuset. I highly recommend their French ovens!

All my stainless cookware is Tramontina. They seemed to only rate it as average, but I've been very happy with it.

I have a large cast aluminum pot. We bought it for my mother in law in 1946, and she never used it. So, when we started housekeeping she gave me that pot back, she had never used it, liked that old lightweight pot. (she was not much of a cook)
    Well, I use this pot for potroast (I am known as the potroast queen).
    I braze the meat, and onion, celery, garlic, when sufficiently brown, pour over a good amount of red wine. Put on the cover, and place in the oven for 1 hour per lb. Last hour, add baby carrots, last hour, canned tiny potatoes. Jummy!
    Curleytop