Community Message Boards

Thread: Subbing milk for cream in Quiche recipe

Subbing milk for cream in Quiche recipe

Instead of using cream in a quiche can I just use 1% milk instead? Not only would this bring down the calories, but it's all that I have. It calls for 3/4 cup whipping cream, that seems like a lot to me. What do you think, will this sub. greatly change the taste and texture of my quiche?

Thanks,

Krystal

I've successfully used evaporated skim milk in quiche to replace the cream, and it dramatically dropped the fat & calories. I think 1% milk may change the texture of the quiche too much - just MHO.

I use 1% all the time and it tastes fine.

Stefania might be right about it changing the texture though, I wouldn't know since I always use milk.
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

I use skim milk all the time without a problem. The texture seems fine to me, but it is really all I know since it is the only way I fix it. If I have FF half and half around I would throw that it. Gina
    Change your mind, change your body

That's the way I would do it too -- if not with skim. If I think the dish needs a little more substance from the milk, I may use evaporated of add a little nonfat dry milk to equal evaporated. I also use skim and add a touch of butter sometimes. I only use cream when it's reall an essential part of the dish, but for quiche, you'll be fine.

I never use cream in quiche. It's definitely not needed (I try to be selective with my fat....would rather have less cream and more cheese! :-)

I've also used evaporated skim milk, which is good. That way I can easily keep some on stock and not have to deplete my "cereal milk" supply.

I've used half and half or 2% milk or a combo of both and they have all worked just fine!

I have used fat free half and half and it worked great!

Thank you for the replies. I went ahead and used skim milk w/ probably 2 tablespoons of cream and it came out perfect. Is it possible that cage-free organic eggs are creamier then regular store eggs? I don't know if it's all in my head, but they just seem better.

Anyway, the quiche tasted really good and had a LOT less calories then the original recipe!

Thanks again,

Krystal?