Community Message Boards

Thread: fructose as an ingredient- necessary? where to buy?

fructose as an ingredient- necessary? where to buy?

i have several recipes that are on my to-try-list, and they include "fructose" as an ingredient.

have you ever made anything will fructose added? what exactly is it (i think of high fructose corn syrup). where do you buy it at? is it necessary to a recipe?

I have bought it in the Diabetic section of the grocery store. It's usually with the sugar-free items. I have used it in recipes calling for it but if you're not on a diet that requires you to reduce the carbs/sugars then you can probably use regualr sugar.
    Hopefully wallycat will see your thread and explain the way the body uses fructose as opposed to processed sugar.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I see the post
    I can be very detailed, but don't want you to start snoring

Fructose is processed via the liver, which is why it slows down how quickly the blood sugar rises once the food is eaten.
    The negative on that is that cholesterol is also mfg. in the liver.
    Some individuals find that higher intakes of fructose (which when purchased is found as a powder) can have negative impact on your lipid profile; some individuals have problems with the liver as well.
    Fructose is a little sweeter than table sugar, but remember that table sugar (sucrose) is made of glucose and fructose.

Fructose is found in the health food store usually. Some diabetics use it to provide a slower glucose rise (but you need to be careful because the glucose WILL rise, just later than expected). Is it necessary?? I guess that's a personal preference issue once you know the good and bad of it.

Fructose is found naturally in fruits, and the fructose crystals you find in the health food store are a processed food.

Does this answer your questions??
    anyone else with opinions
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

thanks sneezles & wallycat.

so, when looking for it in the grocery store, i should be looking for frutose in a powder/crystal form near the diabetic/health section.

and it basically is a substitute for sugar... thus if i did not have fructose on hand i could probably substitute equal (?) parts table sugar for fructose-- correct?

i will have to analyze the good and the bad of using it and decide if it is for me or not.

fructose is a little sweeter than sucrose, so if you sub equally, your final product won't be as sweet. Many people cut back on the amount of sugar called for in recipes, so depending on what the recipe is, it may not be a huge problem.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Fructose is granulated like sugar and probably used in whatever recipe you're making because it's supposed to be better for you than granulated sugar. (It takes longer for the body to break it down.) It looks gorgeous, like little diamonds. It's easier to find these days. It can be found in health food stores and in gourmet food stores as well. (This is a new development - it used to only be found in health food stores. Call ahead to ask if a store stocks it.)

What are you making? I have the Canyon Ranch Cookbook and it calls for the use of fructose in many of the sweet recipes.
    "There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."