Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with Jiffy Corn Muffin mix?

What to do with Jiffy Corn Muffin mix?

I have three boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix. The trouble is, the muffins made from that mix are horribly dry. Does anyone have a good recipe that would use up these boxes? Perhaps a doctored up cornbread?

Happy February : )

Wow, these months are just flying by, and I noticed as I replied to your post that it's February on this board... goodness!

Anyway... I found this recipe by Master Cook that actually looks pretty good - sorry to hear that the recipe you already tried did not work out . I hope this will work for you

Tamale Pie Casserole

April 1999

1 green bell pepper -- diced
    1 onion -- diced
    4 cloves garlic -- diced
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
    2 cups frozen corn
    1 small can chopped ripe olives
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    salt and pepper -- to taste
    2 cups grated cheddar cheese
    2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix -- (8 1/2 oz. boxes)
    2 eggs
    2/3 cup milk

- Brown pepper, onion, garlic and beef in a large skillet until vegetables are tender and meat is well done. Drain fat.

- Add tomato sauce, corn, olives, sugar, chili powder and s&p to meat mixture. Simmer for 10 minutes.

- Add cheese, stir until blended. Pour into an 8 x 12 baking dish & set aside.

- Prepare Jiffy Corn Muffin mix according to directions with eggs & milk. Pour evenly over meat mixture. (Optional: sprinkle just a little more grated cheese over the corn bread mix for a nice finished texture)

- Bake in a 375 degree oven 15-20 minutes until cornbread is golden brown.

Serves 8-10

Good luck!

I just edited to say this recipe can easily be lightened up - in fact it probably should be! I'm sure cooked chicken could replace the ground beef, low-fat cheese cheese could replace 2% or whole milk fat cheese, instead of 2 eggs (if you're worried about cholesterol) you could use 4 egg whites (I think that's how it works), and finally, regular milk could be replaced with skim. But that's just if you're being picky
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Here's one I haven't tried yet, but sounds good. I'm gonna use up mine with this recipe.

Corn Souffle

1/2 cup butter, melted
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 (8.5 ounce) package dry corn bread mix
    1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
    1 (14.75 ounce) can creamed corn
    1 cup sour cream

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and lightly grease a 9x9 inch baking dish.
    2. In a medium bowl, combine butter, eggs, corn bread mix, whole and creamed corn and sour cream. Spoon mixture into prepared dish.
    3. Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden brown.

You can double it, and cook it in a 9x13 pan.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: Happy February : )

Originally posted by Kayla
    Wow, these months are just flying by, and I noticed as I replied to your post that it's February on this board... goodness!

Is your screen showing you're on Greenwich Mean Time? You can adjust it, you know, to your local time, by going into "User CP" and then "Edit Options." The Date and Time Option area will allow you to change to your local time (unless it's more fun running knowing what time it is in England )

Or I wonder if the recipe for "Corn Bread Pudding" would be good. I remember that it requires a pan of pre-made corn bread to make the recipe. That's what I'd try to use it for.

Re: Happy February : )

Originally posted by Gail

Is your screen showing you're on Greenwich Mean Time? You can adjust it, you know, to your local time, by going into "User CP" and then "Edit Options." The Date and Time Option area will allow you to change to your local time (unless it's more fun running knowing what time it is in England )
    Ahhh, Gail, now that would make too much sense for me, wouldn't it?
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

Here's my new favoirte Sunday breakfast:

Make the corn bread in an 8x8 pan; I usually add some frozen corn to it too (1/2 cup or so I guess...I don't measure it) and come to think of it some green chilies would be good too...or you can make it just plain.

When it's done, cut in squares, arrange on individual plates (I make just 2 hefty servings out of this) and top with some black beans out of the can (1/2 can on each plate)rinsed and slightly warmed, or just room temp if you want, top that with two fried eggs (I like them sunny side up); top that with salsa and plain yogurt(or your choice of sour cream)and then add a little grated low fat cheddar. I like to add some cilantro on top of all that. A really easy, fast and healthful breakfast, especially if you add the corn and use yogurt. And it looks pretty dramatic on the plate too!

Paul
    Paul

Uh...for the price of the 50 cent box, why don't you try it one more time to make just cornbread...or corn muffins. Be SURE not to cook them too long and be sure you have enough milk in them. Jiffy isn't my favorite cornbread, but being raised in the south, I've definitely had my share. I've never had dry muffins unless they were just baked too long.

Several thoughts:
    Add sugar.
    Add a can of corn.
    Add chopped jalapenos.
    Don't make "muffins", make "johnny bread" in 8x8-inch baking dish.

You may find it's the best 50 cents you ever spent!
    Work is the ruin of the drinking classes.

I mix jiffy with 1/3 cup buttermilk, 1/4-cup eggbeaters, and about 5 to 6 oz kernel corn (drained) and a pinch of nutmeg -- sometimes we add cheese. Bake in an 8x8 for 12 to 15 minutes or until just turning golden brown. I'd been doing it that way for years then I found this recipe on the jiffy site. Similar. paT

CREAMY CORN MUFFINS
    (Yield: 18 large muffins)

2 pkgs. "JIFFY" Corn Muffin Mix
    2 eggs
    1 can (12 oz.) cream style corn
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 tsp. lemon juice
    1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
    3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease one large muffin pan well, or use paper liners.
    Mix all ingredients together, blending well.
    Pour into prepared muffin pan, filling about 1/2 full.
    Bake for 22-28 minutes.
    Let cool before removing from pan.

I make a corn cassorle with my jiffy boxes. Take 1 box of the mix, 2 egg whites, 1 cup of low fat sour cream, and 1 can of creme style corn. Mix it all together in a cassorle dish and then bake at 350. I think I ususally cook to the same time that is one the box. It turns out awesome.

Lauren

Instead of using regular milk, use coconut milk. Add lime zest, cinnamon, and whatever else you might think tastes yummy. Seriously. It tastes good.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

The CL Triple Corn Bread recipe posted on this thread is very good. It's the last post on the thread.
    Laurie

Vizzini: He didn't fall?! Inconceivable!
    Inigo: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

If you will double the milk from 1/3 to 2/3 cup, the muffins will not be dry. My DH thinks that my muffins are "the best" and they are nothing but Jiffy.

I have Rachel Ray's cookbook and in it she has several recipes that use Jiffy mix as a biscuit topping for entrees. I'll post if you're interested.

Jiffy corn muffins are my secret shame food. I really like them, and I've never found them to be dry. I like to add pickled or fresh jalapenos and a little cheese.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Thanks for the ideas!
    Tracy

Easy Corn Casserole! You can't even know how many times I have made this. CL June 1996 page 146. The page is yellow and I have given this recipe out to everyone who I've made it for including my cousin's husband who is a chef. It is just so good. TRY it! If you need the recipe, let me know!

cindyloo, I'd love your recipe! Thanks. Tracy

Little Bit-
    I'm almost positive that I've made the corn souffle. It was sooooo good and easy, too. Let us know what you think!

C<><
    Take time to explore the untraveled paths and secret gardens of this sweet life. ~unknown

The Easy Corn Pudding from The Complete CL is wonderful! It's very similar to the corn casserole suggestions...muffin mix, corn, egg, sour cream, etc. I buy those "Jiffy" mixes just so I can make this!
    Amy

I, too, absolutely love the Easy Corn Pudding! It's become my standard corn bread recipe!

I also take these muffins and add some sharp reduced fat cheese and green chilies. My grandma had an absolutely yummy but deadly cornbread recipe, that had a ton of sour cream and butter, and these little muffins satisfy that craving, cheaply I might add! Some of these other recipies sound just awesome. I'm going to have to give them a try!
    LuAnn.....

Striving to cook like my mother did........ I Love You!!

Waffle iron cornbread. The rage this summer at some recipe groups was the topic of making cornbread mixes and cooking in the waffle iron instead of the oven. (Hot summer made folks not want to heat up the kitchen.) So, folks tried all the various mixes and the conclusion was that all of them did well. Folks who love their cornbread crispy on the outside were particularly happy. You might want to have some fun with those mixes in the waffle iron. Maybe add some sour cream (or yogurt? or melted butter...i'm bad) to moisten them up a bit.

Here's the recipe for Easy Corn Casserole

1/4 cup egg substitute
    1/4 cup margarine or butter (reduced calorie or reg.)
    1 (8 3/4 oz) can whole- kernel corn, drained
    1 (8 3/4 oz) cream-style corn
    1 (8 1/2 oz) package corn muffin mix
    1 (8 oz) carton plain fat-free yogurt
    Cooking Spray

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Combine the first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir well. Pour into an 8 inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until set. Yield: 8 servings.

Calories: 220; protein: 5.4 g.; fat: 7.5 g; carb: 34.6 g; fiber: 0.6g; chol: 1 mg; iron 0.9 mg; sodium: 287 mg; calc: 152 mg.

This recipe is the reason that I buy the Jiffy Corn Mixes!