Community Message Boards

Thread: need to know how much dried basil to sub for fresh

Question need to know how much dried basil to sub for fresh

I am planning on making the Tomato-chicken Pasta from the Jan/Feb 03 CL... but it calls for 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil. Which I do not have - not even sure I have much dried basil (running low because we use it so much)...

Does anyone know the equivalent sub of dried to fresh - I know it's usually less, but I can't remember right now. Also, if I am out of basil, can I sub in something else in this recipe (for those of you who have made it)?

TIA - Patsy

ps... once again, I thought I had everything for a recipe and have managed to miss something at the grocery! Ughhh!

I think the sub is 1/3 dried, so that would mean 1/6 cup, which equals 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons. But maybe someone else can jump in and confirm that.

Originally posted by aggie94
    I think the sub is 1/3 dried, so that would mean 1/6 cup, which equals 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons. But maybe someone else can jump in and confirm that.
    Exactly!

Thanks so much - you are lifesavers! I hate it when I think I have everything only to find out right before I prepare a dish that I am missing something important!

I just checked, and I am indeed, out of dried basil as well... I am thinking of subbing in some of a bottle of Italian Seasonings instead... any thoughts?

Thanks, again!
    Patsy

I just checked, and I am indeed, out of dried basil as well... I am thinking of subbing in some of a bottle of Italian
    I've found that Italian Seasoning substitutes well for a half-basil, half-oregano mix. So if the recipe uses dried oregano as well, substitute Italian Seasoning for the dried basil and the dried oregano and call it a day.

If not, well then the spices will be a little different than the recipe calls for. That's OK -- maybe it will be better.