Community Message Boards

Thread: Quick! Where is the anchovy paste??

Quick! Where is the anchovy paste??

Ok - DH is at the store and needs to locate it. I've never bought it before, so I'm no help. Where does your grocery store stock anchovy paste??

Thanks!
    Leightx

I've had the same problem. I finally located it by the fresh fish counter. It was stocked next to the frozen crab meat etc.

YP

I bought 2 tubes of it a while ago and it seems like I found it near the canned tuna at one store.

I find it near the tomato paste for some reason

In my specialty store, it's near the canned sardines and (duh) anchovies. I don't remember seeing it in one of my supermarkets, but in the other, I think I remember seeing it with the other canned fish.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

I can find them in the dairy department - refrigerated. With the jars of pickled herring.

Hi Leigh,

Can you share the recipe that you are making? I have some anchovy paste in my cabinet and I'd like to use it.

Val

Guest Guest
    I think I found it near the canned fish last time I looked for it. After reading through the replies, it looks like different stores put it in different places. My big question is, what is it with men.... I would have asked a store employee where to find it.

Miranda

Yes, please share. Like Val, I have a tube I want to use too!

Val, here's what I bought anchovy paste for:

Twice Baked Potatoes Caesar

3 small baking potatoes (about 6 ozs each)
    2 Tablespoons margarine or butter
    1 small garlic clove, crushed with press
    1/2 cup sour cream
    4 anchovy fillets, minced or 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon grated fresh lemon peel
    1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
    1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 450. With fork, pierce potatoes on oven rack and bake 35 minutes or until fork tender.
    Cut each potato lenghtwise in half. With a spoon, carefully scoop out potatoes, placing flesh in medium bowl and leaving potato-skin shells intact.
    In small sacuepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 15 seconds.
    With potato masher, mash potatoes with margarine mixture and all remaining ingredients except 2 Tablespoons Parmesan. Spoon mixture into 4 reserved potato-skin shells, mounding slightly. (If you like, cover and refrigerate remaining 2 shells for use another day.)
    Place potatoes in shallow baking pan, sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
    Return potatoes to oven and bake about 15 minutes or until hot on the inside and golden on top.

Makes 4 accompaniment servings
    Prep 20 minutes
    Bake 50 minutes
    Good Housekeeping Magazine Oct 2002
    Wag more...bark less...

Whoops! Just noticed all the replies to this one! Thanks everyone DH left the store before I could tell him all the possible locations, so we did without. I'll have to hunt it down the next time I go. I wish these things were more standardized. The barley in our store is by the soup - it took me 4 trips to find it, and I asked 3 different employees.

We made the Caesar Salad with Spicy Croutons from the Complete cookbook. Very good, even without the anchovy paste. I used the lowfat Hellmans instead of fat free since that's what I had. I also had to thin out the dressing a little with some skim milk, since I don't like gloppy dressing.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creamy Caesar Salad with Spicy Croutons

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cooking Light 1995 Salad/Dressing

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 clove garlic -- halved
    1/2 cup nonfat mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    2 teaspoons white wine Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon anchovy paste
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    3/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
    1 garlic clove -- minced
    2 cups sourdough bread cubes -- (3/4-inch)
    18 cups torn romaine lettuce
    1/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese -- (1-1/3 ounces)

Drop the garlic halves through the opening in blender lid with blender on; process until minced. Add mayonnaise and the next 5 ingredients (mayonnaise through pepper); process until well-blended. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.

Combine oil, Cajun seasoning, and minced garlic in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH for 20 seconds. Add bread cubes; toss gently to coat.

Spread bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet; bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Place lettuce in a large bowl. Add dressing; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with cheese, and top with croutons. Yield: 6 servings.

Source:
    "Cooking Light, Jul/Aug 1995, page 62"
    Copyright:
    " Cooking Light"

Originally posted by leightx
    I wish these things were more standardized. The barley in our store is by the soup - it took me 4 trips to find it, and I asked 3 different employees.
    Hmm, you mean like a couple of weeks ago when I wanted a can of chickpeas and, like a fool, looked up and down the aisle labled "Rice, Beans, Pasta". No, they were with the condiments and chili!
    Or when, shortly after joining the BB, I decided to make Jewel's Garlicky Green Beans and attempted to hunt down chicken boullion granules in about five different stores - no luck. Found them a month later - only by coincidence - in the "ethnic foods" aisle. Chicken boullion??