Community Message Boards

Thread: Do Almonds go bad?

Do Almonds go bad?

I found a jar of sliced almonds hiding in the back of my fridge this weekend. No clue how long they have been there - but it may be a while. They look fine. How can I tell if they are good or not?

Scratch

I think they can turn rancid.

Why Do Almonds Turn Rancid?

Oxygen is the main culprit. When oxygen in the air reacts with unsaturated fat through a process called autoxidation, various breakdown products are formed which can cause off-flavors and other problems.

More info including shelf life, etc:

http://www.bluediamond.com/almonds/storage/shelf.cfm

Funnybone's reply is good.

Is there a person alive who hasn't bitten into a rancid Hershey's kiss with almonds?
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

Originally posted by beejayw1
    Funnybone's reply is good.

Is there a person alive who hasn't bitten into a rancid Hershey's kiss with almonds?

Ewwww. I haven't. I have, however, eaten a "peanut" m-n-m that was chewy rather than crunchy. I think that was about 15 years ago and I am still suspicious of peanut m-n-ms.

Scratch, if the almonds smell off, they should be pitched. If they smell fine to you, nibble a little bit of one. You'll know immediately if they are rancid.