Community Message Boards

Thread: Veggie/Salad Help, Please

Lightbulb Veggie/Salad Help, Please

My DH and I have a very hectic Friday, so we are just having a simple picnic supper for V-Day and I am making a special dinner Sunday night. He is a fan of comfort food and so I am making...

Brown Sugar Bourbon Flank Steak with Garlic-Chive Mashed Potatoes, from Sept. 2002

And for dessert, Cheddar Crusted Apple Pie from May 2002

My problem is, I need a veggie. DH is picky about veggies and salad and I want something that he will like, but also something that goes with the meal and adds some nutrition. This menu contains heavier food than what I usually prepare and I am not sure what would make a good accompaniment.

Any ideas? I'd like something I can serve alongside the meal because it involves last-minute prep and I don't want to jump up from the salad to mash potatoes and turn the steak.

Thanks in advance

Jessica
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

It might be helpful to have an idea of what sorts of veggies your DH will eat...

I'm tempted to suggest something like the BEET salad in the J/F issue of CL. But beets aren't everyone's favorite. And I have a feeling my brain will open up if I have a better idea of what he might eat and enjoy.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

I would probably serve simple steamed green beans or broccoli if I wanted a hot veggie. Otherwise, I would make a green salad topped with dried cranberries and pears. I know there have been a few posted in the last few days. Have fun!!!
    Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with wild abandon or not at all. --Harriet Van Horne

You know, I just got the beet salad recipe and was thinking of it for another meal later in the week. But the DH likes beets so if you think it would go with this meal, I may try it.

He likes carrots, string beans, peas, winter squash and sweet potatoes. Not so big on eggplant, broccoli or zucchini.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

How about some Roasted Green Beans? It is a simple side and won't clash with the flavors of the flank steak. Plus, it won't fill you up so you'll have room for that yummy sounding pie. Just toss them with some olive oil and maybe some thinly sliced onions and garlic cloves and roast them at 400 for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
    Wag more...bark less...

Guest Guest
    My first thought was asparagus, but then when I saw your list I immediately thought of peas. Quick, easy, colorful and I like them with mashed potates. Your menu sounds like a winner.

How about the Asparagus in Balsamic Browned Butter? It won't clash with your other dishes. Yummmm....my new fav veggie recipe.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Carrots are also a good bet (how about carrots with a bourbon/honey glaze??) -- though beans might be just as tasty (and would keep you away from too many ROOT veggies) Green beans are excellent with the browned butter from the asparagus recipe!

Yes -- I think the beet salad would be a pleasant addition. Somewhat different from the flank steak and/or the potatoes -- but it would marry into the sweetness of the steak and the savory nature of the potatoes. And it's not overpowering.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens