Community Message Boards

Thread: Dr. Seuss Party Food Ideas?

Question Dr. Seuss Party Food Ideas?

My sister and nephew are throwing a "birthday" party for Dr. Seuss's birthday. They obviously plan on having green eggs and ham. I also think they're going to do a Cat-in-the-Hat cake.

Anyone have any other good Dr. Seuss related food ideas? I know she has gotten some ideas from various websites, but not sure what else she has planned.

Thanks! I'm a little rusty on my Dr. Seuss trivia.

Maybe some of those colored candy (gummy) fish for One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish?

I'll think some more......
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

I can't think of many specific recipes, but as inspiration...

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish (Goldfish crackers? they have the colored ones now)

If I Ran the Zoo (animal crackers?)

Oh, the Places You'll Go!

The Lorax (who speaks for the trees... carrot and green pepper "palm" trees?)

The Grinch (Roast Beast!)

Horton Hears a Who

The Sneetches, Thing 1 & Thing 2
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

Here's one for popovers for My Uncle Terwilliger on the Art of Eating Popovers

http://home.insightbb.com/~bonnett/p...cipe_links.htm

And this one has the recipe for Edible Oobleck:

http://newmoon2000.tripod.com/Madwoman/Oobleck.html
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

What a fun party!
    I love the idea of throwing a party just for the fun of it and think those people who do are just so cool! And the creativity behind the theme - I'm in awe. And then I think, "I could think up and do something like that...." But then I don't and am just impressed when someone else does it again!

katie

ps - c'mon susan; don't you have a Dr. Suess book in your nusery yet?

AndreaU - Ohmygosh! You mentioned Sneetches!! That was my son's very first "favorite video". He learned how to use the rewind button on the vcr when he was less than 3-years-old because watched it over and over and over and over! What a great story! Thanks for that quick trip down memory lane!

Scrambled Eggs Super a la Peter T. Hooper?

Yertle the Turtle brownies?

Go (hot) Dog Go

I was trying to think of a mulberry-ish one (And to think that I saw it on Mulberry Street) but you don't really cook with them, do you? Maybe some sort of berry jam tart that you could say were Mulberry Street tarts?

Hot dogs with lots of mustard--Happy Birthday to You! was one of my favorite Seuss books (right up there with The Sleep Book , which, at the ripe age of 40, I own THREE copies of, lest I misplace them) and there's a wonderful illustration of when the Birthday Bird takes the boy to eat all the hot dogs he wants, and then they go clean up at the Mustard Off Falls. Always made me want hot dogs. Still does.

'scuse me (Gil wanders off to the kitchen, anticipating mustard and ketchup.....)

Gil- you just reminded me of another Seuss favorite- The Foot Book! Don't ask me how that can translate into a party food...

I also just had a thought about the Sneetches- what about Sneetches Peaches?? (I know it's getting too close to my bedtime)
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

Andrea, I don't know The Foot Book, but it sounds.....foot-y. how about roll-out cookies cut in feet shapes? (I don't know if I've ever seen a foot-shaped cookie cutter--I have a tooth shaped one I used to use to make cookies for a dentist friend, which he *totally* didn't find funny--but you could always cut one out of cardboard, and even do icing toenail polish if you wanted.....)

I'm trying to think of something keyed out of Fox in Socks (another fave, one my grandmother used to hide 20 minutes before bedtime because she so dreaded reading it to me)--how does one do a beetle battle in a bottle on a poodle eating noodles?

Originally posted by Gilgamesh37
    (right up there with The Sleep Book , which, at the ripe age of 40, I own THREE copies of, lest I misplace them)

Ooh! The Sleep Book! One of my all time favorites! I especially liked the part about floating on the rivers of orange and lime ade or something to that effect.

It's funny this thread should pop up...just yesterday I was contemplating how one would make Green Eggs and Ham. The Ham was a no brainer, and I was wondering if you could take green food coloring and add it to uncooked egg whites and THEN cook them, or if the coloring would have to be added during/after cooking....

Why I was thinking about this I haven't a clue. It was just a random thought that popped into my head. I don't know if this can actually be done, but it's another idea!
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

My 13 Y.O. DS STILL makes himself Green Eggs and Ham occassionally! His older sisters just cringe when he's eating them.

What I did was use it as a color-mixing lesson. We added a couple of drops of blue food coloring to the yellow eggs to make green. My son was very young at the time, so I only let him cook the eggs in the microwave. (Butter a 10 oz Pyrex custard dish. Put in 2 eggs. Scramble. Add food coloring one drop at a time, stirring to mix and check color. Microwave (I forget how long...maybe 45 seconds, stir and then however long it takes for them to puff up and be done -- maybe 15-30 seconds.)

Are any of you familiar with the book "Wacky Wednesday"? My kids all found it hysterically funny (including their Dad, my biggest kid)

It is by Dr. Seuss, but he wrote it under the pseudonym Theo LeSieg (which is his real last name -- Geisel -- spelled backwards). It's a Cat In the Hat beginner book. The opening of the book is when a child wakes up and sees all kind of odd things in his room. One that I remember is "a shoe on the wall, a shoe on the wall doesn't belong there at all". This book could really inspire some fun decorating ideas!

Here's a link to it on Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Jane

Originally posted by JaneStarr
    Are any of you familiar with the book "Wacky Wednesday"? My kids all found it hysterically funny (including their Dad, my biggest kid)
    I don't have anything really helpful to add - but I just wanted to say Wacky Wednesday was one of my favorites!
    Kristin

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.