Community Message Boards

Thread: What would you serve along my Spaghetti Squash?

What would you serve along my Spaghetti Squash?

I'm going to be cooking Spaghetti Squash for the first time tomorrow and am not sure what to serve alongside it.

It's vegetarian night, so I'm thinking a nice bean dish?

I plan to just roast the squash and toss it with garlic and butter, and perhaps a sprinkling of chilli.

Thanks. YP
    Adele

My Blog - http://passioknit.blogspot.com/

Hiya YP

Since spaghetti can be kind of a 'heavy' dish, I would serve something light along side of it. If it's completely a vegetarian meal, maybe some roasted or steamed veggies with an herb sauce of sorts? ... Or even just tossed salad greens maybe with bits of goat cheese...

Sorry, those are kind of boring suggestions

Good luck!

Kayla
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

I ususally make spaghetti squash a pretty hearty main dish with cheese and a sturdy veggie ragout. If you're keeping it simple on the squash, maybe a sort of ragout with kidney beans, tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms would be a nice addition. Also a green salad and/or some bread?

Originally posted by Kayla
    Hiya YP

Since spaghetti can be kind of a 'heavy' dish,
    oops, kayla, she said spaghetti squash, not spaghetti.

When I serve it, it IS the main meal, even the light way that you're serving it. I'd just go for bread and salad.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Sorry!!
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

YP-

I like to serve spaghetti squash just like spaghetti- it's great with red sauce! I have a VERY yummy recipe for Spaghetti Squash with Broccoli-Asparagus Pesto from Nava Atlas's Vegetariana. I would be pleased as punch to post this peppy pesto

I also like your bean idea. Spaghetti squash is mild- so a spicy black, kidney, or pinto bean dish would go well, IMHO. Serve it over the top or along side.

A tofu concoction. I'm making the Tofu Steaks that's been going around the BB this week- it suggests to serve it over WW spaghetti, but why not spaghetti squash?

I mentioned on another thread this morning that I mixed baked spaghetti squash with fresh thyme and fresh-grated parmesan. Any fresh herb/cheese combo would be nice!
    If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Some great ideas there guys. Thanks. I don't think I can make it a MAIN dish, as it's rather small and DH has a big appetite.
    Adele

My Blog - http://passioknit.blogspot.com/

I always like spaghetti squash served with sauteed bitter greens to offset the sweet/nutty flavors of the squash. If I'm winging it, I might add tomatoes and olives to the greens, or maybe pinenuts.
    I believe in the forest, and in the meadow, and in the night in which the corn grows. -Henry David Thoreau

BEANS, BEANS, by all means!

Some nice saucy beans -- Italian, Mexican, creole, etc. -- to top off the spaghetti squash would be terrific! Make a bed of the spaghetti squash strands, pour the saucy beans on top of it, and sprinkle with some grated or shredded cheese. Run under the broiler to melt and brown the cheese topping, and yum yum yumyum.

Cheers,
    Phoebe