Community Message Boards

Thread: Any comments on the "Baby Bargains" book?

Any comments on the "Baby Bargains" book?

I have heard good things about this book and was wondering what all the moms on the board think. I would like to buy this for my friend who is expecting. Is it worthwhile?

I have this book and have also purchased it for a friend that was expecting (she had twins Friday!). It's a wonderful resource and they also have a great BB (although not as great as CL of course). Depending on when your friend is due you may want to wait a few weeks - their updated edition is due out in April. Some of the info in the current issue is almost 2 years old.

That's what I was worried about - it being outdated. She is due mid July and is starting to look around for furniture, etc. Could I wait as I would like to get her the most current version available, or am I cutting it too close?

I loved it! We literally went ot BRU, flipped to the sections we needed and did our shopping from their recommendations!

DH and I have just started shopping for baby furniture and other stuff we'll need, and have found this book VERY helpful! I like all their product evaluations and have found that very useful in knowing what features to look for, and which brands are better than others. We had no clue what to buy or what to look for when we first started shopping, but felt like we really had a plan after reading the book. We just bought a crib today and got a great price on the one we wanted by using some of the books suggestions, and we'll be referring to to it a lot more when we shop for the rest of the stuff we need.

I read this book very closely before the birth of my twins (last Dec)and had mixed results with their recommendations. For the most part, the information and hints are wonderful.
    Where we ran into trouble is with furniture... We took the book with us to BRU and used their guidelines to pick a "line" of furniture (Babi Italia) that received good grades, was within our price range, and offered the shapes/sizes that we wanted. In summary, I have been miserably disappointed with the furniture. We ordered two cribs, a dresser, and a combo. Of the nine drawers among the four pieces of furniture, five routinely fall off their glides! This is incredibly annoying (not to mention dangerous for young children) and is an indication of very poor workmanship/quality. I don't remember the exact grade for Babi Italia furniture in Baby Bargains but I think it was in the range of A-/B+. I find that too high for a manufacturer with whom I had problems with all four items that I purchased. I was very nervous about preparing for the arrival of the children (our first) and was delighted to find a source of recommendations, but in hind site, the results were mixed.
    If you chose to purchase this book for your friend, I would definitely wait for the newer version. We found it very helpful for background information on much of the other baby gear, but many of the recommended items were no longer available.

Paula

I will repeat what everyone else has said. The book is wonderful, but I would wait for the new edition because the current edition is kind of outdated. Baby gear changes so much from year to year (who knew!). You might want to order it on Amazon or some such site ahead of time so you are sure to receive it as soon as it's in print.
    -Amy

I have the book.... but I found the product reviews on BRU's website and babycenter's website much more useful. Many of the recommended models in the book aren't even manufactured anymore.

I never bought the book but was able to use BRU & Babycenter (and here of course) extensively and have been happy with what I purchased or registered for. I had the time/ability to use the web and look through all the reviews though.

Kim

I second Paula's opinion. I based many of my purchases on their reviews, and I couldn't be more disappointed in my stroller (that they rated an "A"). For what I paid for it, the thing is a piece of junk. But the book did give lots of helpful information, too - so I do think it is worth the $13.95 or whatever. Just do your homework and don't rely solely on their product reviews.