Community Message Boards

Thread: Salt: ways to tame it

Post Salt: ways to tame it

Thought I'd post this separately so we can find it again.

* Exported from MasterCook *

About Salt: ways to tame it

Recipe By :News Services March 1999
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Information & Tips

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    --[text]--

There are several antidotes to over-salting a dish, depending upon what sort of dish it is. In most cases, stirring in some LEMON JUICE or VINEGAR will help. If the dish then tastes too tart, add a pinch or two of sugar as well.

For soups, stews and ragouts, try adding chunks of peeled POTATO, and then simmer the mixture until they are nearly tender, about 15 minutes. The potatoes will absorb some of the excess salt remove them before serving the dish). A cup of RICE or PASTA tied up in cheesecloth, also will do the trick. Or just add unsalted chicken or vegetable BROTH or another unsalted liquid to dilute the salty flavor.

If you don't feel like dealing with the salty dish now, FREEZE it for a few weeks. Once thawed and reheated, the salt flavor won't be as pronounced because freezing dulls all flavors, especially salt and spicy tastes.

Source:
    "Riverside Press Enterprise"
    S(Archive):
    "Food Writers Digest.mc2 on 2003-02-28"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cool tips! I knew about the potato but not the others! Of course, the last dish I over salted was a stir fry but I don't think any of those would have worked!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!