Community Message Boards

Thread: Any Six Foot Under Fans

Question Any Six Foot Under Fans

In case anyone is a fan and didn't know.. Tonight is the 3rd season opener Morbid, dark and funny.. what more could you ask for in a series .. can't wait

I love Six Feet Under!!! I can't wait for tonight's show. That is sooo messed up. I heard an interview with Alan Ball on NPR a couple years ago, before the show was released. He took it to HBO, and they asked if he could make it a little more f$%&ed up. Rock on.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

FINALLY !!!

Ellyn

Thumbs up

ME ME ME ME ME!

We have our Ultimate TV set on repeat record for the entire series. The cliffhanger was pretty intense with Nate getting wheeled into surgery with a shaved head (that looked real!). I probably won't watch it tonight but tomorrow when I can actually retain what I'm seeing. 9:00 p.m. is about as late as I can stay up!

"There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."

Yup. DH and I are both fans and are totally looking forward to tonight. The only reason we have HBO is for all the "original series" stuff.

Naomi

I loved this program....sadly, we don't get HBO anymore
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Originally posted by wallycat
    I loved this program....sadly, we don't get HBO anymore
    same here

Hopefully someone will post a re-cap.

My daughter has been downloading all of the episodes off of Kazaa. She had to turn her cable off in a cost effective move, so she can't watch it. she loves it. I have yet to see it.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

I love Six Feet Under because it's so different from anything else and the characters are so quirky.

For those who missed the first episode last night, I'll try to recap briefly. Nate had a near death experience during his surgery and the show resumes 7 months later. He is now married to Lisa and totally in love with their daughter who is nine months old. The baby, Maya, is also the center of Ruth's life- she keeps offering to take care of her. However, Lisa freaked out when she found out that Ruth gave her peanut butter. Lisa is a personal chef for a Hollywood producer or writer (something like that) who has her own strange ways.

David and Keith are in couples counseling. Keith is working for a home security company and David decided to audition for the Gay Men's Chorus as something that he can do as an individual. (we got to see his audition- it was pretty good)

Claire is in art school. She met a new guy when she delivered a corpse to a crematorium. The guy has a band that practices at the crematorium.

I like the show, but Nate's life seems so unreal- it's almost too perfect. I kept expecting to learn that he's in an alternate universe or something. Brenda will come back though because Rachel Griffith's name is still in the credits. I liked the scenes with Claire and David.

Any other thoughts??
    Positive emotion trumps negative emotion every time. - Inception

That was a really good synopsis. I liked the whole alternate universe thing that Nate has going on (he flashes to all these other scenarios he saw during his near death experience). But something about his marriage to Lisa is freaky. I guess I'm just waiting for Lili Taylor to act like a freak (like she usually does in all her other roles). For me, the whole show is Ruth. I love her character.
    The way to become boring is to say everything.
    -- Voltaire

Originally posted by m4star
    For me, the whole show is Ruth. I love her character.
    I find that interesting, m4star. I find Ruth to be the hardest character to like. I get frustrated with her - she has this enormous need to take care of someone, and she doesn't do anything very useful with it, other than now helping out with Maya, although she is getting too involved in that. She is always trying to force her help on people who don't really want it. Couldn't she go volunteer somewhere? I did find myself warming to her once she began helping with Maya, though. I have wondered why I have this aversion to her, though, since I really like all the other characters, and they are just as messed up as she is, if not more so. I think my favorite character is David. Or Nate. Or Brenda.

I loved last night's episode. I agree with what has been said about Nate. Last night I kept waiting to find out that this new life of his is a dream. I think maybe Brenda will come back, and make him realize that the life he is leading with Lisa isn't really the life he wants to lead. Not that I think he would be better off with Brenda. I enjoyed the 'alternate life' he saw with himself and Brenda. It seemed like it was pretty nice at first, until Brenda mentioned that she was glad they had gotten high before coming to visit his mom. The life where Nate had a different mother was interesting, also.

The thing I most noticed in last night's episode was that I felt very removed from the characters. At the end of last season, I really felt like the audience was really in their heads, if that makes sense. Now at the beginning of this season, I feel like we are outsiders again. I am looking forward to the process of getting back into their heads.
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

Originally posted by beacooker

I find that interesting, m4star. I find Ruth to be the hardest character to like. I think my favorite character is David. Or Nate. Or Brenda.

I guess I find Ruth the most complex of all the characters. And her suffering is so real to me I can almost taste it. I absolutely loved her in the first season (that raw scene where she yelled out that she was a wh*re). And again last season when she did that whole intimacy rant, it was brilliant. I guess what I see in her is this sort of passion, right below the surface. She still burning inside but kind of dying too. I guess it's similar to Laura Brown in The Hours.

And it's odd to me that you like Brenda. I can't handle her. But I guess as a massage therapist I am really bothered by her antics last season.
    The way to become boring is to say everything.
    -- Voltaire

Melinda - I wondered what massage therapists thought about Brenda's behavior last season. She was getting really hard to take, I guess that was the point, huh?

I love Ruth. She is so very real, and reminds me of my mom, in a way. My mother gets so hurt and indignant when one of us doesn't give her the opportunity to help when we have a problem, that she becomes a bit of a problem herself. Ruth really strikes a cord with me. So does David. He is so decent, and uptight and self-righteous all at the same time. I don't relate as much to the other characters - I don't think they are as fully developed, but still wonderfully acted.

I was so excited when I realized that it was Nate who was going to be the dead guy at the beginning of the show. I think they should have kept him dead, and kept expecting that his "life" after the surgery would reveal itself as his real "he**". So funny about Lili Taylor - I keep on expecting her to pick up a guitar and start singing "Joe Lies". Hee, hee.
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to desribe it as such.
    - John Holmes

Originally posted by m4star
    And it's odd to me that you like Brenda. I can't handle her. But I guess as a massage therapist I am really bothered by her antics last season.
    You mean all massage therapists don't act like that?! I think it's odd that I like Brenda, too. Actually, 'like' probably isn't the right word. Like you said about Ruth, I just find her complex, and I really enjoyed some of her one-liners.

I like your take on Ruth. Good analogy between her and Laura Brown. I like Ruth better already. And yes, it is amazing when she lets it all hang out. The actress does a terrific job.

Originally posted by pammy
    So funny about Lili Taylor - I keep on expecting her to pick up a guitar and start singing "Joe Lies". Hee, hee.
    LOL!!!!
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

I have to admit to totally despising the Brenda character!! Her neuroses have reached the point of being, not just inexplicable, but down right irritating. My favorites are Claire and David. But Ruth and Rico also get strong votes; followed closely by Nate (mostly because he puts up with Brenda . . . ).

Let's see, how about this for a scenario . . . Nate is not really married to Lisa or living the life he thinks, he is only imaging this because he is in the psychiatric ward. The same psychiatric ward as Brenda's brother. Which is why Brenda will eventually show up and break Nate out of his imaginary world (probably by having sex with him in a most inappropriate place).

Keep us posted; I, too, am without HBO this season.
    Work is the ruin of the drinking classes.

i am a HUGE six feet under fan! and i missed sunday's opener! can you believe that! i hope dbf taped it for me...

Originally posted by lakelady1

Let's see, how about this for a scenario . . . Nate is not really married to Lisa or living the life he thinks, he is only imaging this because he is in the psychiatric ward. The same psychiatric ward as Brenda's brother. Which is why Brenda will eventually show up and break Nate out of his imaginary world (probably by having sex with him in a most inappropriate place).

We were discussing this last night, something just isn't right about their marrage. I just hope they don't do a whole "just a dream" season, aka Dallas!!!

Brenda was tolerable the first season, but couldn't handle her last season!