Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezing almond paste???

Freezing almond paste???

Tonight, I made "woodsl's" Almond Amaretti Chocolate Cheesecake that's been posted on the board several times. The recipe calls for 4 ounces of almond paste. The only way I can buy almond paste around here is in an 8-ounce can. Can I freeze the remaining 4 ounces??? Anyone ever tried????

Thanks!!!

Hi there,

Last year, when I baked, I froze my almond paste... but... uhhh... it's still in the freezer so I personally couldn't tell you how it does there.

Here's a Q and A the americanalmond.com website:

::"I have some Almond Paste left over. How should I store it?

That depends on when you will need to use it again. For example, if you only use the paste for holiday baking, we recommend you remove it from the original container, place it in a resealable plastic container or bag , and store it a cool, dry place. Freezing will not harm the paste.

If you use nut pastes often, just cover the original container with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying, and store it in a cool, dry place."::

HTH

Kayla
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

I put it in the freezer. Maybe by the end of the year baking season, one of us will remember to see if it's still ok!!

Thanks!!

I buy almond paste by the pound in the bulk area of an Italian store. It's not that I use it very often throughout most of the year, but at Christmas and Easter I probably use over a pound for both holidays. So every November I buy a "lump" of almond paste, use what I need for Christmas baking, then wrap it in plastic, then foil, then put it in a freezer bag in the freezer for use the following spring. Let it thaw completely for at least a day in the refirgerator before using. And I sometimes have it leftover from Easter baking and will then rewrap it and use it the next Christmas. I've never noticed a discernable difference between the frozen-then-thawed and the fresh almond paste.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)