Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitute for Lump Crab Meat?

Post Substitute for Lump Crab Meat?

Hi everyone. I'm going to make the Ultimate Crab dip that has been getting such good reviews from everyone.

Question: I just called the seafood market of my grocery store to inquire about the availability of lump crab meat. I was told they don't have lump crab meat but they DO have imitation crab meat. Has anyone used this stuff? What do you think???

Hi Deanna! Nice to see a post from you!

My grocery store doesn't have lump crab meat, but they do sell cans of claw meat (Phillip's is one brand). It's a large, 1 pound can, not those small cans of crab you find near the tuna - those aren't all that tasty. Maybe a store near you sells this? It's not as good as lump, but less expensive ($7.99 a pound versus as much as $25/pound for the lump), and a good alternative if you don't have many options.

I just personally can't stomach the imitation stuff (maybe because I grew up on Maryland blue crab), but many people really like it - so I guess it's a subjective, personal thing. I guess you can take a tally from the responses here to decide if you want to try the imitation crab!

Happy Holidays!!

I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to say hi! I haven't seen a post from you in ages it seems.

I find the imitation crab to have almost a "sweet" flavor, probably not the rich crab taste you'd want in this recipe (although I haven't tried it myself). Just my opinion, hope this is helpful to you. sally

I have substituted imitation crab meat for real and was very disappointed. To me the imitation stuff tastes like fish not crab. And I'm not even much of a crab expert having grown up in Arizona!

If you have a Sam's or BJ's near you, they sell crab meat much cheaper. I have also substituted good canned crabmeat from the grocery.

I'm no expert either, but I do love crab. Isn't that what imitation crab is - fish decorated to look like crab? My family calls it "krab with a k".

Well, thanks for the opinions! We do have Sam's here in Kansas City, I'll have to ask one of the girls to pick up some lump crab meat on her next trip.

In the mean time, for this Ultimate Crab Dip, I'll look for the high-quality canned stuff.

Would someone mind posting the Crab dip recipe? I must have missed it somehow.

Thanks!

Chicken of the Sea sells 6 oz. cans of lump crab meat on SALE for $4.20/can. Yield is 4.5 oz. so I would need 4 cans for the recipe! I decided to compromise and bought 4 cans of Chicken of the Sea Fancy Crab Meat at $2.27/can.

I like the folks I work with, but not THAT much!

Danielle: The Ultimate Crab Dip recipe is on this page. You can use the search for it.

Gee, I'm glad I stopped by to look something up. Hi and Happy Holidays from your "evil twin!"

Hi Honey!! Nice to hear from all you gals! You know I moved into my "new" house the week of October 23, and I've been so busy ever since. To top it off, we've had temps as low as -3 degrees in the nighttime, wind chills -25 to -30 below zero...and I'm dealing with frozen water pipes!! (among many other minor disasters!!)

I managed to make a batch of the Ultimate Crab Dip when I got home, it's in the fridge waiting for "goodie day" tomorrow. So hard to leave it alone!

Happy Holidays to all!

I don't like imitation crab, or crabstick, as I like to call it It just doesn't taste right.

A lot of larger grocery stores have lump crab or regular crab meat in the frozen foods section, right near the bags of frozen shrimp