Community Message Boards

Thread: Leftover Soda Bread

Leftover Soda Bread

Hmmm... two people brought Soda Bread to our St Patricks Day Dinner and now we have a bunch of leftover bread to use up.
    My first thought was to make the famous Irish Bread Pudding with Caramel Whiskey Sauce, but that calls for french baguette. Since Soda Bread is dense and more "savory" than sweet I thought maybe some type of breakfst casserole might be yummy---? Anyway - ANY ideas welcome - thanks!

Kuvy

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
    Anais Nin (1903-1977)

rudely bumping my own post...

Apart from stuffing and croutons, does anyone have any ideas of how to use leftover non-sweet bread?
    Thankyou....
    Kuvy

Anais Nin (1903-1977)

How about a savory bread pudding. I make one that uses cubed bread, eggs, milk, white wine, dijon mustard, green onion, swiss cheese and drained tomato.

You can do a search and it'll pull up a few threads - here's a link to one that has some recipes listed

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...threadid=34746

I've made soda bread once but don't recall it well enough to say, but is it just dense or does is have savory flavor -- garlic, herbs etc? I think it still could be used in the Irish Bread Pudding if it's just a dense but "plain" bread.

What about a panzanella - a bread salad. I know CL has published a few of these recipes. Kind of like croutons though if you're trying to avoid that.

Kim

Cut into serving pieces and freeze! That is what we do! You can always defrost and eat for breakfast! My soda is made with raisins!
    Curleytop

If it doesn't have caraway seeds in it I think you can use it in the bread pudding. If it does have caraway I'd try the recipe posted by Kim.
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

I like to use the leftovers to make toast with a little bit of butter and cinnamon and sugar. It sounds weird, but the sweet/savory combination is quite good.

Oooh, yummy. Thank you for the ideas!
    We ended up having toasted soda bread slices topped with melted superthin swiss cheese, arugula and poached eggs.
    WOW.
    Kuvy

Anais Nin (1903-1977)