Community Message Boards

Thread: How do I thaw a frozen loaf of bread?

How do I thaw a frozen loaf of bread?

I froze a loaf of Fresian Sugar Loaf when I made the recipe, and I want to use it tomorrow night to make French Toast Souffle for DH. What's the best way to thaw the loaf of bread? At room temp? In the fridge? In the oven? It's wrapped in heavy-duty aluminum foil and sealed in a Ziploc freezer bag, if that makes a difference.

TIA!

I usually just defrost at room temp on a cooling rack. I would remove the foil. JMHO...
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I also defrost frozen bread at room temp. but I keep it wrapped in plastic wrap, or the original bag so it doesn't dry out. It also depends on what I am making with it.
    If I want it for a sandwich I keep it wrapped up so it's soft, if I want it for french toast or a baked dish I let it thaw un-wrapped at room temp..
    Zinnia

I usually freeze bread on the counter at room temp unless I need it right away -- then its very carefully in the micro. If the bread had any of the sugar pockets on the outside, you might want to peel the foil off while it is still frozen. I haven't ever had it wrapped in foil, but I am thinking that the sugar might get sticky as it thaws and might stick to the foil.

Unwrap bread, place on cooling rack to thaw. When thawed, place in plastic bag. I usually reheat my bread in a 325 oven before eating!
    Leftovers can be rewrapped and refrozen. DO NOT REFRIGERATE BREAD!
    Curleytop

My mother usually uses a couple of towels (the kind that no lint comes off of, like flour sack towels) and lays the bread out slice by slice on one and then covers it with another. But if you leave it out for too long, it will get dry. Check once an awhile to make sure this doesnt happen

Thanks, guys!