Community Message Boards

Thread: How much fat remains?

How much fat remains?

I was wondering how much fat remains after cooking and draining ground meat, say 85% lean ground turkey. The nutritional info says 130 cal. fat, but I imagine the fat content goes down after cooking and draining. Anyone have any info or references on this?

Thanks!
    Katya

here is some info that JaneStarr posted.

I actually found a way to deal with lean ground beef that is rinsed and drained...
    I found some reasonable nutritional info and input it to MC. Here an MC "recipe" that I created that lists what I used for MC values when drained, extra lean ground beef is called for. I assume that 1 lb raw yields 12 oz. cooked.

Here is an excerpt of my notes:
    "I think that I'm going to input 2 sets of figures into MC: one for 3 oz of cooked 95%(132 cals, 4.9 g. fat) and another set for 4 oz. of raw 95%(150 cals, 6 g. fat) as listed below. I believe that these are reasonable figures as 4 oz of lean ground beef cooks down to about 3 oz. of cooked. I'm sure that 3 oz. of cooked 95% lean beef would comefrom less than 4 oz of raw meat." ~Jane

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ground Beef Information --Updated 2-02

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Text Only

A study in the Journal of The American Dietetic Association* has good news for beef eaters. Nutrition researchers found that a simple rinsing process reduced the fat content of cooked ground beef crumbles by as much as 50 percent. And, blotting can be used to reduce the fat content of cooked burgers, meatballs and meatloaf.
    So whether you buy ground beef for taste, convenience or price, you also can enjoy the health benefits of lower-fat ground beef with a few easy steps. See Web-site for photo directions

Journal of The American Dietetic Association, Vol 92 No. 11 Nov.1992

New link for directions (2-02): http://www.teachfree.com/specialpag...ngfatgrbeef.htm

Sources: Iowa State University, Dept. of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Nov.1992
    USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 11-1(1997)

3-ounce cooked portion, pan-broiled to medium doneness
    Ground Beef - 80% Lean/20% Fat

Pan-broiled patties* 228cals/ 15 g. fat = 6 WW points
    Pan-broiled patties, after blotting 217cals/ 14 g. fat = 5 WW points
    Pan-broiled crumbles, after blotting and rinsing 130 cals./ 5 g. fat = 3 WW points

Ground Beef - 73% Lean/27% Fat

Pan-broiled patties* 248 cals./ 18 g. fat = 6.5 WW points
    Pan-broiled patties, after blotting 230 cals./ 16 g. fat = 6 WW points
    Pan-broiled crumbles, after blotting and rinsing 135 cals./6 g. fat = 3 WW points

Ground Beef
    Tips & Other Info

One pound of lean ground beef equals 2 1/2 cups of cooked ground beef.

Keep your freezer stocked with already browned ground beef for even quicker weekday meal preparation. Just brown it, drain, and seal in small freezer bags in one pound amounts.

When cooking large quantities of ground beef, try boiling it instead of browning it. Use a large pot of boiling water, crumble in beef, stir frequently. Not only is this an easier way to cook ground beef, it also removes practically all the fat (which is now in the water, so degrease the water before dumping it down the drain). This method doesn't work with ground turkey.

Ground Beef Nutrition Facts:

3-ounce patty, broiled to medium doneness*
    Before blotting or rinsing and draining

Ground Beef Product Nutritional Values:

90% Lean/10% Fat 169 cals, 9 g. fat, 3.7g. sat. fat, 70 mg chol. = 4 WW points
    85% Lean/15% Fat 204cals, 12 g. fat, 4.8 g. sat fat, 71 mg chol = 5 WW points
    80% Lean/20% Fat 228 cals, 15g. fat, 6.0 g sat.,74mg chol = 6 WW points
    73% Lean/27% Fat 248 cals,18 g. fat,7.0 g sat.,77 mg chol = 6.5 WW points

Source: *U5DA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 11-1(1997)

More info:

4 ounces raw (approx 3 ounces cooked):

92% lean - calories: 160; total fat: 9 gms; saturated fat: 4 gms; cholesterol: 60 mgs; sodium: 70 mgs

96% lean (usually ground round) - 140 calories; total fat: 4.5 gms; saturated fat: 2.0 gms; cholesterol: 60 mgs; sodium: 50 mgs

Kel

Here's the info that I have on ground beef and reducing fat. I believe that boiling is equivalent to rinsing and draining ground beef "crumbles" as listed in my info. Boiling higher fat ground beef does reduce its fat content -- although not as low as boiling lower fat ground beef. Your "cooked yield" will vary depending on the fat content of your raw meat. (We haven't totally pinned this down yet.) I find that 1 lb of 90% lean ground beef cooks down to 2 1/4 cups or more. I don't know about less lean cuts. The most yield I've gotten has been 2 1/2 cups from a pound of very lean beef (93%+ ??). I think that you just have to do whatever you're comfortable with based on your budget, health issues and the price difference of the ground beef varieties. Sorry that I can't come up with a more definitive answer. My instincts tell me that 80% lean at under a dollar a pound is a "better buy" than the 90% at its usual local sale price of $1.99/lb -- but I never buy less than 90% lean for making crumbles.
    --JaneStarr

Description:
    "Reducing fat by blotting and/or rinsing ground beef"
    Source:
    "http://www.beef.org/nut_libr/ground_beef.htm"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 0 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0% calories from fat); 0g Protein; 0g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 0mg Sodium. Exchanges: .

NOTES : I think that I'm going to input 2 sets of figures into MC: one for 3 oz of cooked 95%(132 cals, 4.9 g. fat) and another set for 4 oz. of raw 95%(150 cals, 6 g. fat) as listed below. I believe that these are reasonable figures as 4 oz of lean ground beef cooks down to about 3 oz. of cooked. I'm sure that 3 oz. of cooked 95% lean beef would comefrom less than 4 oz of raw meat. ~Jane
    --------------
    I do have a count for 95% lean ground beef though: 132 calories and 4.9 grams fat in 3 oz cooked serving. I often use ground turkey breast when I can find it--it has about 1% fat, only about 120 calories and 1 gram fat per serving.| Anne -- nar [mailto:nar@cris.com]
    ---------------
    On Behalf Of Betsy Burtis
    Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 1999 6:49 PM

Subject: elf: Nut. Anal for super lean beef
    Jane,
    Here is the nutritional analysis I built into mastercook after a lot of help from people on this list analyzing ground beef.
    This is for 95 % fat-free ground beef for 1/4 lb:
    150 calories, 6g fat, 55mg cholesterol, 0 carb, 0 fiber, 24g protein

Nutr. Assoc. : 0

Wow. After all of that intellectual banter (thanks, Val), I feel ashamed posting this... cuz it's just frivolty...

But when I first saw your thread, I thought to myself:

Hmm. "How much fat remains?"
    That sounds like a song title.

Don't know why...
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens