Community Message Boards

Thread: lemongrass substitute

Question lemongrass substitute

what can i use to substitute for lemongrass? i want to try many of the asian recipes i see in CL, but i can't find lemongrass anywhere. can anyone help me? can i just use lemon zest? also, has anyone tried the Thai Chicken Barley Risotto yet?

Here is a thread with reviews of the Thai Barley Risotto.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ht=barley+thai

There is information on the thread about what to use in place of lemon grass. I believe some people used lemon zest.

Yes, grated lemon zest is a decent substitute for lemongrass. Here is a link to one of the many threads reviewing the awesome Thai Chicken Barley Risotto:

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...threadid=26706

For this recipe, I used the zest of one lemon in place of the lemongrass. Hope that helps and welcome to the BB!
    -Amy

Well, I have never found a perfect substitute for lemongrass because it has such a distinctive flavor. Other things may make your dish taste good, but nothing will taste exactly like it. If you can't find it at a grocery store try the Asian market. They will definitely have it. If this will be your first time using it be sure to remove the outer layers so you get to the white inside stalk, and then mince it very finely, otherwiswe it can be 'woody'. Or bruise a long stalk (pound on it a little), use it in your recipe, and remove it before serving.
    Wendy

Lemongrass substitute...

I am Thai and as for lemongrass substitutes....

there are none.

If you don't have it, then make the recipe without it. It will be ok. Lemongrass is used as accent flavor and using a substitute will acutally ruin the dish. Lemon zest is not the same at all.

If you can find it, then go without it. It's better that way.

Re: Lemongrass substitute...

Originally posted by Redhead_DH
    I am Thai and as for lemongrass substitutes....

there are none.

If you don't have it, then make the recipe without it. It will be ok. Lemongrass is used as accent flavor and using a substitute will acutally ruin the dish. Lemon zest is not the same at all.

If you can find it, then go without it. It's better that way.
    I can certainly understand your bias against lemongrass substitutions since you are Thai. However, IMHO JeAnne's recipe is not ruined by using lemon zest. That is strictly my American opinion, of course.
    -Amy

That's how come I say another ingredient might taste good in a recipe, but the flavor will be different. I can't find a good substitute for szechuan peppercorns, which aren't really peppercorns at all but a dried flower (they were recalled). Lots of people suggest regular peppercorns, and 5-spice powder, both which taste good, but not the same as if I had the other ingredient. I personally love the taste of grated lemon zest in thai food.
    Wendy