Community Message Boards

Poll: So, what's your pleasure?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A happy poll: What's your preferred pleasure?

A happy poll: What's your preferred pleasure?

I was at the local beauty college today getting a nice (cheap!!) facial and was thinking that I'd rather have a facial out of any of the personal services available. Then I would prefer reflexology, massage, pedicure in that order.

So, ladies . . . what's your preference? Let's all have a mental spa day!!!

Debie (with the glowing complexion!)
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

I'd sell my soul to beable to afford regular pedicures. No really I would.
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

MASSAGE!!

But being a registered massage therapist, I am biased

By the way, I've never had a professional facial but I'm thinking of getting on for my birthday as a gift from me!
    The way to become boring is to say everything.
    -- Voltaire

Massage comes in first, followed closely by manicure/pedicure. Had one facial, didn't do a thing for me personally...and I don't think I've had the others.

Tyra
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Definitely massage.

My sister had never been to a spa, so I got her a gift certificate for her 30th birthday. She booked a 1/2 hour massage and a facial; turns out that while she enjoyed the massage, she LOVED the facial. different strokes, so to speak!

Massage, hands down. I'm hoping to get a spa gift certificate for my birthday Although pedicures are nice. I don't know that I've ever really had a facial... Hmm, maybe I should branch out.

Emily

Wink Massage

But, if there were an option for a "day of all of the above", I'd be in absolute heaven!

FACIAL!!!!!

2nd best experience on earth...
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

Originally posted by kwormann
    FACIAL!!!!!

2nd best experience on earth...
    Hold on now, ... what would the 1st be then??? *she asks innocently*
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be

I voted massage.

I was going to vote "other" and type in CHOCOLATE! but then I re-read your post and saw that it said "personal service."
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

Mmmm. Facial. If you get a good one, you get your neck arms, and hands massaged, too. And you come out feeling beautiful! Massage is my second choice. I've never had any reflexology done. Do they do that in spas?

...I have this thing about being touched by people (can't stand it!!), so I voted other---a nice warm bath in scented bath salts at home.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

I'm with you, Jen. I have issues with people invading my personal space. I'd take a relaxing fragrant bubble bath over a massage, facial, or manicure any day.

I voted other. There is a very nice day spa that is about 45 minutes from where I live. They offer traditional spa services such as facials, massages, pedicures, etc., but this place is known for mud baths and mineral water. I love going there, soaking in the various pools (mineral, salt, etc.)and then going into the mud bath.

You literally go into a pool and then put mud upon yourself, let it dry and then brush it off and rinse in an outdoor shower. The mud application makes your skin so soft. People either love it or dislike getting dirty. They offer food, which is ok, but how I wish I could take over their kitchen. They have a water aerobics class every afternoon as well. I always take a book and since I am fair and no longer a sunworshipper, I find a shady spot to read in between. I refer to it as my Disneyland. Ahhhh!

Around the block, there is a really nice complex of fruit, veggies, and gourmet goodies and I always stop by there.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Originally posted by aggie94
    I'm with you, Jen. I have issues with people invading my personal space. I'd take a relaxing fragrant bubble bath over a massage, facial, or manicure any day.
    You would have died in my Pilates class, too, then. We got a new instructor who, without warning and without permission grabs my crotch to position me correctly. I don't even like strangers to touch me on the arm, and I'm not hot about being hugged even by close friends, so you can imagine how that went over. I never went back!
    I know it isn't butter

Originally posted by JHolcomb
    We got a new instructor who, without warning and without permission grabs my crotch to position me correctly.

After the shock and horror of what she had done passed, I think I'd have had a few choice words for her. And I wouldn't have gone back either.

I voted pedicure. I LOVE LOVE LOVE having my feet "done". Its the most relaxing thing in the world to me. Two days before #2 was born I went and had a pedicure (my MIL paid for me to have it). I got them regularly before #1 and #2 were born. Now I just have to settle for using my own massaging footbath and doing it myself when I have the time.

Dh would say massage. He has them at least monthly. He does it for a double reason, stress reliever and it really helps his back stay adjusted. He had one just before he left for the Gulf - my treat. I'm sure that will be one of his first stops when he gets back to the United States.
    "You know I was talking to my friend Desdemona the other day she
    runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown. She told
    me that human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers
    took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the
    reason we're as crazy as we are and I believe it." Jimmy Buffet, Fruitcakes, 1994

Love a full body massage, going next week, DH surprized me with a gift cert. gotta love that guy
    The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our actions. Our inner balance, and even our very existence depends on it. Only morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to our lives

-Albert Einstein-

I love having a facial especially the end when they do the nice facial/shoulder massage. Ummm...lovely. The only bad thing about that is the way they wrap your hair so it's all sticking up in front afterwards like Cameron Diaz in 'There's Something About Mary'. Scheduling is key . You're not going to want to do anything but go straight home and wet down your hair when it's over.

My second favorite would be a pedicure although 1. I think they're very expensive (though I don't seem to have a problem spending more on a facial) and 2. I feel sorry for the person having to do it because having to mess with somebody's feet for an hour strikes me as one of the biggest sh!t jobs on the planet. I like how my feet and toes look when it's done though.
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Originally posted by HejazSunKat

My second favorite would be a pedicure although 1. I think they're very expensive (though I don't seem to have a problem spending more on a facial) and 2. I feel sorry for the person having to do it because having to mess with somebody's feet for an hour strikes me as one of the biggest sh!t jobs on the planet. I like how my feet and toes look when it's done though.
    Read your #2 and that explains #1. I feel bad for the person doing my feet because I have absolutely alien looking little toe nails. (ie just the nail on the little toe)
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

I voted facial. I have never felt comfortable getting facials, massages, etc. Not so much about someone touching me as the enviornment in some of those up-scaled salons. Attitude! Totally not down on that.

Like Debie, I go to a school now. My future sister-in-law runs it. It is so inexpensive, I go monthly. I have an appointment tonight!

I just recently found a hair salon that I feel comfortable going to. Better late than never I guess.

Peggy - I have a little toenail issue too. What's that about?

Originally posted by HDgirl

Peggy - I have a little toenail issue too. What's that about?
    I thought everybody had a shrimp toe! Maybe we should band together and form a support group (my shrimp toe does have a toenail, though. I know some people who don't have a toenail on their s.t. and just paint the skin!).
    I know it isn't butter

I thought everybody had a shrimp toe! Maybe we should band together and form a support group (my shrimp toe does have a toenail, though. I know some people who don't have a toenail on their s.t. and just paint the skin!).
    NO WAY!! They really just paint the skin?? I have a shrimp toe and I'm not too thrilled with it either. But mine has a toenail.

But I totally got over the horror of having someone touch my feet when I realized that the whole scrubbing takes place in warm, bubbled, good smelling water. For some reason that makes me feel like I can "hide" the shrimp toe.
    The way to become boring is to say everything.
    -- Voltaire

Ok, help me out here. What is a shrimp toe? Never heard that before. Is it because it's little and curled up like a shrimp?

OMG, SHRIMP TOE! That is the perfect description! Mine has a nail...but it isn't pretty. Fortunatley (?) is turns at such a weird angle most people would never know if I painted the nail the skin or nothing!
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

I voted "Other," because I have had a few combo body/massage treatments that have been absolutely heavenly:

The Bindi Herbal Body treatment
    Using an intoxicating blend of herbs and oils from India, this Ayurvedic treatment will bring the body into balance by providing nourishment to the skin, profound relaxation to the central nervous system and quiet peace to the mind and soul. This serenity is accomplished through gentle exfoliation and warm oil applied into muscle tissue. Together these techniques improve circulation which releases energy blockages and transports you to a new level of relaxation

Thermal Mineral Kur
    Based on the native Sonoma tradition of using medicinal mud, healing waters and massage therapy, this deluxe treatment has a detoxifying and totally relaxing effect. Three treatments in one, this kur begins with an organic Moor Mud body-cleansing wrap. The body is then immersed in a bath laden with therapeutic mineral bath crystals, followed by a full body massage using a soothing mineral crme mixed with a detoxifying essential oil.

I am melting just thinking about this!

BTW, I can't stand getting pedicures. My feet are incredibly ticklish.

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I voted other too, since I can't imagine the sort of hygiene problems those places must have to cope with and I'm not big on having strangers touch me. (My yoga teacher is very sensible and respectful, though, and I don't mind her adjustments.)

If I had an SO, however, I think a nice massage would beat out even a LUSH bubblebath. For the time being, however, I'm a Bath Ballistic/Bubble Bar fan!

I like experimenting with different skin care products, so consider the cost of 'playing at home' a pretty decent savings over the cost of a day at the spa.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I voted other. I also have an issue with other people's hands "kneading" my body, hands, feet, face, etc. I can't even let DH give me a massage.

However, I am more than happy to let him draw me a steamy bubble bath, light some candles, pour me a glass of wine, and lock me in the bathroom with a book and a small piece of dark chocolate.

Talk about selling your soul...
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

I voted eearlier but didn't post -- now I have to say that I found certificates for a massage, facial and pedicure today, so I don;t have to chose!!! DH and I bought the package at a silent auction before we moved and they got lost in the shuffle. The longer they were lost, the more I wanted them and the less I thought I would find them.

Wow, Beth! What a find! Enjoy!

Looks like massage is the favorite so far! I love everyone's responses. Shrimp toe - tee hee hee!

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.