Community Message Boards

Thread: Baked Eggplant with Blue Cheese Sauce

Thumbs up Baked Eggplant with Blue Cheese Sauce

I found this recipe posted on another board. It is from one of Mollie Katzen's Moosewood cookbooks. It is excellent!

I made the blue cheese sauce a day ahead and just reheated it in a pot on the stove. That worked out fine. I used lowfat sour cream instead of yogurt. I also used 1 tsp of dried dill, since I didn't have fresh. I made the eggplant with wheat germ and it came out great. I am used to making eggplant by brushing it with oil. This method is just as easy and I loved the taste the wheat germ provided.

I severd the eggplant over pasta and I poured the sauce over both the pasta and eggplant. (I didn't use the paprika or parsley) I served it with broiled plum tomatoes (with a bread crumb topping) on the side. Another serving suggested is posted below in the notes.

The sauce was a definite WOW and it went perfectly with the baked eggplant. The sauce is a bit high in fat, but the healthfully-prepared eggplant kinda makes up for it. The pasta below was great for soaking up any extra sauce. DH licked his platter clean and went back for seconds.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Baked Eggplant with Blue Cheese Sauce

Recipe By :Mollie Katzen
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Vegetarian Main Dishes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Baked Eggplant:
    1 1/2 pounds eggplant
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1 cup wheat germ or fine bread crumbs or panko
    1 tsp dried dill
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    Blue Cheese Sauce:
    1 1/2 cups minced onion
    2 medium cloves garlic -- minced
    1 tbsp butter or oil -- (original recipe called for 2 tbsp)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 lb sliced mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice -- (1 to 2)
    1 tablespoon flour
    1 1/2 cups lowfat sour cream -- (original recipe called for yogurt)
    3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
    lots of black pepper
    2 tablespoons minced fresh dill -- (I used 1 tsp dried)

paprika
    minced fresh parsley

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly oil a baking tray.
    Slice the eggplant very thin (no more than 1/4 inch). Salt the pieces
    lightly and let them stand about 10 minutes. Then pat dry with paper towels.
    Place the milk in one bowl; combine the wheat germ and herbs in another.
    Dip the eggplant slices in the milk, dredge in wheat germ, and arrange on the oiled tray.
    Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the eggplant is crisp on the outside and tender
    on the inside (test with a fork). Meanwhile, make the sauce.
    To serve, place several pieces of eggplant on each plate and spoon lots of sauce
    on top. Sprinkle with paprika and minced parsley.

Blue Cheese Sauce:
    In a large heavy skillet, cook the onions and garlic in butter or oil with salt until the onions are limp (5-8 minutes).
    Add the mushrooms, lemon juice, and flour (sprinkled rather than dumped in). Cook, stirring, over medium heat another 5-8 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, lower heat, and stir. Cover and simmer 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 429 Calories; 18g Fat (36.5% calories from fat); 22g Protein; 48g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 45mg Cholesterol; 781mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES :

original poster's comments: Oh man alive, this was good last night, even better tonight. Served this with hummus, cuke & tomato salad, and pita bread. The only thing I'd do differently is I'd peel the eggplant ahead of time.

Sounds awesome, thanks for posting this.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Thanks for the review. I have this cookbook and have always meant to try this recipe.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Anyone know which book it's from? I've checked 5 of mine, and can't seem to find it...

~Gail H.
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing, Val!

Peggy

Gosh! This looks great! Two of my favorite things together.

Thanks for posting!

(Though I have to admit the recipe looks hauntingly familiar. Is it by chance from Still life with Menu?)