Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving question: time to pick your brains again...

Hybrid View

Cool Driving question: time to pick your brains again...

One of the nicest things about this bulletin board is the fact that it enables me to broaden my horizons, listening to points of view which are different from my own.

Some months ago, I'd started a thread on the subject of left turns. While I didn't necessarily agree with all of the viewpoints expressed, at least I learned the why of things. Consequently, now when I witness certain behavior, I can now think, "Ohhhh, the driver's acting this way because of thus-and-such..." And it helps. Some of you may find this all exceedingly trivial, but to Southern Californians, who practically LIVE in their cars, it's a big deal.

So guys, explain this other one to me, please-- 'cause lately there's a lot of this going on. What's the rationale behind flicking on the left turn indicator at the last possible moment, instead of signalling in advance? Is this absent-mindedness? A last-minute decision? Or is there some other reason..?

This drives me nuts! My DH will do it on occaison and says its because if he does it earlier then someone will try to prevent him from being able to move over. But he would never dream of not using his turn signal at all.

Kim

I don't know what the logic is behind it, I just know it irritates the heck out of me LOL!

I always try to give plenty of notice to the driver behind me so if they don't want to sit behind me, they can go into the other lane.
    "You know I was talking to my friend Desdemona the other day she
    runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown. She told
    me that human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers
    took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the
    reason we're as crazy as we are and I believe it." Jimmy Buffet, Fruitcakes, 1994

I think it's a very deliberate way of saying, "I'm coming over RIGHT NOW, so be forewarned" without giving enough advance notice that you'll try to speed up and keep them from coming over. Drives me nuts. I always always ALWAYS use my turn signal, even if I'm turning into my driveway.

Cool

WHOA!

Hold it. I didn't make myself clear.

What I want to know about pertains only to left turns.

You're waiting for the light to turn green. It does, and the guy in front of you then flicks on his left turn indicator.

That's the one which baffles me.

Sorry for the confusion.

Originally posted by Gail
    What I want to know about pertains only to left turns.

You're waiting for the light to turn green. It does, and the guy in front of you then flicks on his left turn indicator.
    If they're anything like me they're off in la la land and remember at the last minute they normally turn on their blinker while in a left turn lane so they turn it on anyway as if we don't know which way they're turning.

I normally turn my signal on before I move over to the left turn lane and leave it on. But when I forget, I have been guilty of doing the above.

~emilie
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/

I thought I lived near the mecca of bad drivers, and I'm baffled trying to imagine what you've described. Can't imagine why anyone would do that, either.

Okay, so that doesn't begin to answer your question. Sorry!

Natasha
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

I can't stand the "click-click" sound it makes, so if I don't have to turn on the indicator (like if I'm in a left turn only lane, so it's obvious what I'm planning on doing) I won't use it. Yeah, weirdo, I know.

In a regular situation, I'll use it because that way people can use another lane instead of lining up behind me.
    I don't need time. What I need is a deadline.
    -Duke Ellington

If the guy/girl is in the left-only turn lane, it doesn't bother me that the turn signal isn't going. I use the signal myself, but that's just me.

If it's 2 lanes going in the same direction, and some yahoo in front of me is just sitting there, leading me to believe that he's going to turn left (in a left-or-straight lane), when the light turns green and he turns his signal on, that's when I make good use of my horn. Doesn't make him move any faster, probably makes me look like an idiot, but at least I've attempted to make my point.

Originally posted by oskie
    I can't stand the "click-click" sound it makes, so if I don't have to turn on the indicator (like if I'm in a left turn only lane, so it's obvious what I'm planning on doing) I won't use it. Yeah, weirdo, I know.

Tsk.

There's one I NEVER would've thought of... I like to dance to my click-click (which is darned hard sitting, I might add)

Originally posted by SandyM
    ... when the light turns green and he turns his signal on, that's when I make good use of my horn. Doesn't make him move any faster, probably makes me look like an idiot, but at least I've attempted to make my point.
    We usually can pick out the out-of-state drivers that way. Californians, for the most part, don't use the horn much.

...which is unfortunately why we're more apt to shoot you than honk.

Gail, that would baffle me too. My vote is for absent-minded. Or just plain clueless.

Cool

Originally posted by aggie94
    Gail, that would baffle me too. My vote is for absent-minded. Or just plain clueless.
    Perhaps that's all it is. It's just that it's gone from occasional to frequent, so I've begun to wonder...

In a regular situation, I'll use it because that way people can use another lane instead of lining up behind me.
    hmmm... I guess my radio is always too loud to notice!!

I also make use of my horn in situations like this, as well as a certain finger of mine

Originally posted by Natasha
    I thought I lived near the mecca of bad drivers, and I'm baffled trying to imagine what you've described. Can't imagine why anyone would do that, either.

Okay, so that doesn't begin to answer your question. Sorry!

Natasha
    Drivers are CERTAINLY frightening on the QEW, are they not Natasha? I remember being absolutely terrified as a little girl to ride in the car with my mom when she drove the Gardiner.

And as for rationale behind last-minute-turn-signal-junkies - there IS NONE. It drives me batty, too.

Kayla
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

I guess it just bothers me that the click-click and the music aren't syncronized enough for my obsessive compulsive little brain...

What bothers me even more when I'm making a left turn (and trying to drown out the noises ) and someone coming from the other direction is making a right but does not use his/her signal. They have to slow down to make the turn which would give me plenty of time to make a left if I knew I had the chance!!
    I don't need time. What I need is a deadline.
    -Duke Ellington

Well hey - guess what - I do pre-cisely that. If in left-hand lane (or right-hand one) I never turn on my indicator at traffic lights till we're moving and there's just one car in front of me. And is because I cannot STAND having indicator lights flashing in my eyes for ages and ages and ages while waiting in queues at traffic lights. Thought I was being polite and thoughtful. . .yet another indication of 'don't do unto others as you'd like them to do unto you. They might not like it.'

...What bothers me even more when I'm making a left turn (and trying to drown out the noises ) and someone coming from the other direction is making a right but does not use his/her signal. They have to slow down to make the turn which would give me plenty of time to make a left if I knew I had the chance!!

Maybe the click-click of the right-turn blinker bothers the other guy.

Originally posted by Kayla

Drivers are CERTAINLY frightening on the QEW, are they not Natasha? I remember being absolutely terrified as a little girl to ride in the car with my mom when she drove the Gardiner.

Kayla
    You didn't like the Humber Hump? That was fun, at least for a kid!! (It was this stretch of road that was extremely bumpy and that drivers delighted in taking at nutty speeds to simulate a roller coaster. It has since been redone for safety reasons.)

Actually, I'd have to say that Montreal drivers are scary too, in a different way!

Gail, sorry to stray off-topic.
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

Originally posted by Shirley Ekstein
    Well hey - guess what - I do pre-cisely that. If in left-hand lane (or right-hand one) I never turn on my indicator at traffic lights till we're moving and there's just one car in front of me. And is because I cannot STAND having indicator lights flashing in my eyes for ages and ages and ages while waiting in queues at traffic lights. Thought I was being polite and thoughtful. . .yet another indication of 'don't do unto others as you'd like them to do unto you. They might not like it.'
    ...now you see... these are the sorts of things I'm looking for.
    You have a reason. Oskie has a reason. Neither of these things ever would've occurred to me in a million years.

Really it does help the anxiety level when you give me reasons. I'd much rather think the person in front of me is thinking of others, rather than being in his own little world with a population of one.

And is because I cannot STAND having indicator lights flashing in my eyes for ages and ages and ages while waiting in queues at traffic lights.
    Ah, but if you tailgate super closely like I do, you don't even see the flashing blinker of the car in front of you, unless it's night time.

I cannot STAND having indicator lights flashing in my eyes for ages and ages and ages while waiting in queues at traffic lights. Thought I was being polite and thoughtful
    Yes, but think of the person who is behind you who does not want to turn, who is now stuck until you turn...

Post Two Scenarios:

[list=1][*]On the one hand, you're going to make a left turn. You remember being taught that you are supposed to signal before you make a turn. But you don't recall how soon before your turn you're supposed to signal. Your driver's ed. teacher isn't there, so you think, "Hm. Well, I haven't turned yet, so I'll just turn on my signal." And you do so, little knowing that you're annoying the heck out of Gail, Runnerkim and Bosun's Wife, who are in the car behind you.
    [*]On the other hand, sometimes you signal for a turn, and because your steering wheel is positioned a certain way, the signal goes off. You sit there in la-la land, see that the light is about to change and then see that you don't have your signal on. "AACK!" you say and turn your signal on, little knowing that you're annoying the heck out of Gail, Runnerkim and Bosun's Wife, who are in the car behind you.[/list=1]
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

Originally posted by Gail

...which is unfortunately why we're more apt to shoot you than honk.
    That is unfortunate. (sorry I just thought that was a very funny statement.)

I think it is absent mindedness.
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Oh dear I think I'm lost again. I was pertaining my situation to left turn only lanes. Are we talking left turn at protected and unprotected lights? I always make sure I have my blinker on before I get to the light at unprotected lights. I only seem to zone at the protected green lights where people know I'm already turning left.

I think I just need to eat I'm not making much sense. :P

~emilie
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/

I can't explain the rationale - but since one of my pet-peeves is when people DON'T use their turn signals, I'd rather see someone turn it on last minute than not at all. It doesn't bother me as much when someone turns on their signal at the last minute in a left-turn only lane - but I get especially frustrated when someone ahead of me breaks for no apparent reason, forcing me to slow down behind them and wonder what the h*ll they're doing - only to see them FINALLY put on their turn signal when they FINALLY reach the street they want to turn onto :mad:

I might be a somewhat aggressive driver by the way...
    Kristin

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

Well, maybe you all can help me figure out this one...

Just today was driving behind some guy who had his left turn signal on and was slowing down to make his turn. The road is wide at this particular point, so I started to pull around him to the right. Said driver changes his mind and continues straight ahead. That was bad enough, but then when he reached the next road, he turned suddenly without signaling!

Fortunately my "idiot radar" had already been activated by his first manuever, so I was ready for anything!

What bothers me even more when I'm making a left turn (and trying to drown out the noises ) and someone coming from the other direction is making a right but does not use his/her signal. They have to slow down to make the turn which would give me plenty of time to make a left if I knew I had the chance!!
    This is my peeve too! It only takes a second.

On the other hand, there is the yahoo who will go for miles down the highway, never changing lanes, completely oblivious to the fact that he is still blinking.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

OH! Wendy w reminded me - I guess a lot of my peeves have to do with blinkers, as in those who forget to turn them on (the original point of this thread), those who forget to turn them off (as Wendy mentioned), and those who just don't realize that it's not only a matter of safety (as Alysha mentioned) but also of courtesy (as oskie mentioned).
    Use your turn signals (and don't forget to turn them off!)! OK enough from me
    Kristin

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

Re: Two Scenarios:

Originally posted by beejayw1
    [list=1][*]...But you don't recall how soon before your turn you're supposed to signal...
    [*]... your steering wheel is positioned a certain way, the signal goes off...[/list=1]
    Number one was the answer I didn't want to hear, that the driver of that car has completely missed the point of signalling. Despite his good intentions, he's the driver I don't want to be behind-- because he'll probably do the same thing over and over and over again.

I guess what I'm looking for here is a way to rationalize. I don't want to let anything so silly get to me. I'd much rather tell myself the reason I'm stuck in this lane through an extra cycle is because the lady in front of me figured I'd find her flashing signal annoying than to readily assume the woman simply doesn't care about anyone else but herself.

Thanks, everyone, for your input-- however trivial the question was, your answers were very interesting.