Community Message Boards

Thread: What brand of turkey sausage do you use?

What brand of turkey sausage do you use?

The only brand of turkey sausage I can find is Shady Brook. It comes in this styrofoam square with the cellophane wrapper all poofy - they call it the pillow packaging or something.

This turkey sausage is awful. It looks awful, tastes awful and has the texture of pureed sausage held together with a thin casing. If you try to slice prior to cooking, it just mushes out of the casing.

What brand do you all use? I have Stop and Shop, Shaw's and Market Basket here in MA. All of them only seem to have this one kind. I can only seem to find it in with the regular sausage. Is it possible that it's somewhere else in the store?

I find myself buying the real thing and squishing it between paper towels after cooking to lower the fat. I'd really rather not buy the real thing, but I can't stand the Shady Brook stuff and there's no way I can sneak it by DH!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I get the Turkey-store brand (by Jennie-O).
    they offer ground turkey in 1-pound styrofoam and
    at least 3 kinds of turkey-sausage.
    It's not bad tasting. THe hot-italian, which I like, has way too much sodium
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I use Jenny-O brand. I found that I like the kielbasa better than sausage, the kielbasa has more flavor. I know what you mean though...I've had some bad turkey sausages!
    Bakers have the best buns.
    "Cookie Bearchild" by Boyds Bear

I also use the Turkey Store/Jennie-O brand... we have Stop-&-Shop here in NJ as well... you could submit a request to the store to begin carrying another brand... I did that with my DS's formula (when we switched from breastfeeding) and they did start carrying it... after we had gotten the go-ahead to move over to real milk! At any rate, if you request it, they just might start carrying it for you.
    ~Patsy

Family, Friends and Food ~ a blog filled with recipes that I share with my family and friends.

I had no idea what kind of turkey sausage to use for the Red beans and rice recipe from the latest issue. So I tried the first one I saw in the supermarket, I had the Butterball (fat-free) Smoked turkey, I thought it was great, and so did my room-mates. I have nothing to compare it to, but i do know that we liked it
    Tara

I also use Turkey Store turkey Italian sausage. Is the Healthy Choice Kielbasa turkey? I use that as well. Central Market (an upscale grocery store in TX) also has tons of different kinds of poultry sausages available (so does Whole Foods, but I don't like theirs as much).

Loren,
    Bread and Circus fresh turkey sausage. Made in the store, many flavors... Fresh, no fillers, just delicious, worth every penny of the extra $$$ if you want sausage.
    Ellyn

If I want a good flavorful turkey sausage I use Eckridge Turkey. I also like Turkey Store brand when I want something leaner.

Loren,

There are two varieties of turkey sausage... the Shady Brook/Jenny-O/Turkey Store which is uncooked in casing and yes, it will smush if you try to slice it raw. Then there is the already-cooked/smoked type, like the Healthy Choice/Hillshire Farms/Butterball Turkey Kielbasas. The kielbasa type is what is called for in the Red Beans and Rice recipe. I find those over near the hot dogs in Stop and Shop. And, as Ellyn said, Whole Foods makes a variety of fresher-tasting poultry sausages. Please ignore if you already knew all of this! I wish you luck!

Re: What brand of turkey sausage do you use?

Originally posted by Gracie

If you try to slice prior to cooking, it just mushes out of the casing.

Loren

all the turkey sausage I have seen is this way. it isn't meant to be sliced prior to cooking. you have to gently remove the casing and cook the whole sausage (whole) in a frying pan if you want to be able to slice it.

I agree with what martha said.

Thanks you guys. Martha - I've never looked over by the hot dogs in Stop and Shop. I've always just looked with the regular sausage. I never buy hot dogs so I'm never over there. I'll have to go there to check out the other brands.

Ellyn - thanks for the tip about Whole Foods' sausage too. I don't use sausage much but I'll put it on my running list for Whole Foods. I get over there once every couple of weeks. The original Bread and Circus is walking distance from my work, but it's really small and doesn't have a lot of the things that the newer, larger ones do. So I have to make a special trip.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

For some reason, I can't ever find fresh turkey sausage at HEB. I finally found some frozen - I think it is the Turkey Store brand (green label). It tastes good, but it looks horrible when it comes out of the wrapper and when it's cooking.

I second the recommendation for Central Market's sausages. We got the chicken, spinach and feta one for St. Patrick's day (it's green ) and it was delicious. Those are all made with the organic Buddy's chicken and no weird ingredients.

Leigh