Community Message Boards

Thread: How to keep a cake from forming a "crown"?

Question How to keep a cake from forming a "crown"?

Just wondering what I can do to prevent a cake from not baking evenly -- rising up in the center so it is more dome-shaped. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks-
    Heather

Cakes generally do do this when they bake... at least that's been my experience.

If you're interested in making it look 'cleaner' or more professional when you ice it, just carefully cut the cake to be flat. You can use that extra little bit to make a cake-pudding or something.

Good luck Someone else might have a better suggestion...

Kayla
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

They do this because they bake from the outside in - the edges will cook first, thus stop rising before the inside will. There was a thread not too very long ago (within the last month) on this topic.
    Here it is.

Kayla - you are coming up very quickly on 1000 posts my dear!
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Oh my gosh, Bethany! you're right!

...It's going to turn over one after this message... *shedding a tear*... I don't know what to say - It all happened so fast

It seems like you just got here, kayla! I still think of you as a "new" person here. But I guess I can't any longer now that you are over 1000 posts. I *think* I am nearing 6000. I am not sure, though. I'll have to click the "submit reply" button to check.

Originally posted by valchemist
    It seems like you just got here, kayla! I still think of you as a "new" person here. But I guess I can't any longer now that you are over 1000 posts. I *think* I am nearing 6000. I am not sure, though. I'll have to click the "submit reply" button to check.
    I know, it's almost pathetically sad about my number of posts Oh well, I love you guys way too much to not come here!

And yes... I almost mentioned that the other day - near 6,000... just 12 more!

Shall we throw a party?

Kayla

I checked out the other thread, and sneezles posted exactly what my Mom, the pastry chef, always told me...overmixing or oven temp too high.
    Connie