Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: Uses for leftover cornbread

ISO: Uses for leftover cornbread

I made a pan of cornbread a few days ago and have about 2/3 of the 8x8 pan left. I've tried searching for recipes/ideas to use up the rest and have been unsuccessful.

Anyone have any ideas besides dressing/stuffing?

TIA!
    -j

I love chili served over a hunk of cornbread, or cornbread chunked into it. How about an alternative to croutons? The other thing you could do would be to freeze it and eat it at another time, I am sure it would be just fine.
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger

Found a couple of different recipes for cornbread salad; mind you I've never made it as we rarely have any leftovers (and those get eaten by DH for breakfast):

Cornbread Salad

Here's an utterly delicious--and completely unexpected--salad that will also help you use up the leftover cornbread from your Cajun meal. It makes an excellent new alternative to take to the next potluck dinner or family gathering. Serves 10-12.

5 c cubed cornbread OR crumbled corn muffins
    3 c diced fresh tomatoes
    1 c diced sweet onion
    1 c diced green bell pepper
    1/4 c sweet pickle relish
    1/2 lb sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
    3/4 c mayonnaise
    1/4 c sweet pickle juice
    Shredded Parmesan cheese

Place cornbread in a large salad bowl. Combine tomatoes, onion, green pepper, relish, and bacon. Spoon on top of cornbread. Mix mayonnaise and pickle juice; pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Chill before serving.

Cornbread Salad

1 package (8-1/2 ounce) cornbread mix
    1 1-ounce Ranch-style dressing mix
    1 8-ounce (1 cup) fat-free sour cream
    1 cup mayonnaise
    3 vine-ripened tomatoes
    1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1/4 cup chopped green onions with tops
    1 15.5 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
    1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
    5 thick bacon slices, cooked crisp and crumbled
    1 15.25-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained

PREPARATION:

1. Prepare the cornbread as directed on the package, cut in 6 pieces and cool, or use leftover cornbread (The Bean Cookbook, page 95).

2. Combine ranch dressing mix, sour cream and mayonnaise, refrigerate.

3. Mix the tomatoes, peppers and onion.

4. Crumble 1 piece of cornbread into a 2-quart bowl. Top with half of each of the ingredients: beans, vegetable mixture, cheese, bacon and corn. Spread 1/4 -1/3 of the dressing over the corn. Repeat the layers. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Serve cold.

YIELD: 12 servings
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I don't know how involved you want to get - but I was going through breakfast/brunch recipes and saw that the Southwestern Breakfast Casserole uses corn bread.
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

We freeze our leftover cornbread in zip-top baggies with very good results. If you cut it into individual serving sized pieces, it's very quick to defrost and serve with soups or another dinner.

I have a chicken with dressing casserole from my grandmother that uses leftover cornbread. I don't make it very often, because it is NOT low-fat! I just keep a gallon sized ziploc baggie in the freezer, and add any leftover cornbread to the bag. When I get the urge to make this casserole for comfort food, I just take it out and measure out 4 cups. I would be glad to post it for you, if you would like! It doesn't really fit the criteria of this board though, as it uses [gasp] canned "cream of" soups!

Thanks so much for all of the great ideas! They all sound great. I think I'll do the second salad that sneezles posted...

-j

I made the second Cornbread Salad recipe that sneezles posted above and it was great!

I did make a few changes to try to lighten it up - fat free sour cream, just2good mayo, only used 3 bacon slices, and left out the cheese. Also, I only ended up using half of the dressing.

Grinsandgiggles - I would love to see your Grandmother's casserole recipe, if you get a chance to type it up. I don't mind the ol' "cream of" soups!

Thanks again sneezles for this recipe!
    -j

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jena_lockwood

Grinsandgiggles - I would love to see your Grandmother's casserole recipe, if you get a chance to type it up. I don't mind the ol' "cream of" soups!

Jena - here's my grandmother and mother's recipe, very definitely comfort food and warm memories. However, NOT lowfat, like most everything they cooked! I hesitate to post this on a LIGHT message board, but in all fairness, I do use the reduced fat cream of soups! I don't make it exactly like they did, so my notes are at the bottom.

Have a great day!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken and Dressing

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Casseroles Chicken
    Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup chicken broth
    1/2 cup onion -- chopped
    1 cup celery -- chopped
    1 10.5 oz cream of chicken soup
    1 10.5 oz chicken and rice soup
    4 cups cornbread crumbs
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 boiled chicken -- boned and cut in bite size pieces

Put broth in large pan; add onion and celery; cook until tender. Add undiluted soups, heat through. Add cornbread crumbs and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.

Pour half of mixture inton a greased deep 3 quart casserole or pan. Add chicken and top with rest of dressing. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

Notes: I use bone-in chicken breasts rather than a whole chicken. I never have chicken with rice soup on hand, so I have not ever used that. I use the broth from when I boil the chicken breasts, then add some of the Wylers shakers (chicken flavor) to that. I use one cream of mushroom and one cream of chicken. Also, I don't go to the trouble of making cornbread just for this dish. Whenever we have cornbread, I just crumble what's left in a big ziploc and keep in the freezer. Once I get 4 cups, then I make this casserole!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 389 Calories (kcal); 15g Total Fat; (33% calories from fat); 26g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 27mg Cholesterol; 3174mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0