Community Message Boards

Thread: GREAT appetizer--just had to share!

Post GREAT appetizer--just had to share!

Hi, everyone! I made this appetizer for a Christmas party and just had t post it--t's very easy and just turned out great!

Artichoke Nibbles

2 jars marinated artichokes
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 small onion, chopped
    4 eggs
    8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
    2 TB parsley, chopped
    1/4 c. dry bread crumbs
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    1/8 tsp. oregano,ground
    hot pepper sauce to taste

Preheat oven to 325. Drain juice from one jar of artichokes and place in saute pan. Saute garlic and onions in the juice. Chop both jars of artichokes and set aside. In a bowl, beat eggs and add artichokes, extra artichoke juice, and all other ingredients. Pour into greased 8x12 pan and bake for 30 minutes. Cut into small squares.

I' sure the recipe could be lightened substantially by using fat-free or reduced fat cheese and egg whites, but I haven't tried it that way yet. I really urge y'all to try it, though--it got rave revews!

Thanks sooo much! This sounds yummy, I think I'll try it for new years

I'm printing the recipe as I am typing this! Thanks for thinking of us!! Sounds delicious and I always like a recipe that has been tried AND has gotten rave reviews.

Forgot to ask what size jar of artichoke hearts (I'm assuming the small one)?

Happy Holidays!

[This message has been edited by SoCal (edited 12-24-2000).]

HH-

How many servings does this make?

Molli,

I'm not HH but I have this recipe in my file. It calls for the exact same ingredients but uses a 7x11" pan and instructs you to cut into 1" pieces. So the yield will depend on pan size, but it sounds like it could make anywhere from 6 dozen to 8 dozen.

Also, to answer SoCal's long-ago question, the recipe calls for two 6-oz jars of marinated artichoke hearts.

I haven't made these in a while but they are very good.

Thanks Stephanie!

Has anyone got this in mastercook and/or have the nutritional info? It sounds like it could be pretty darn healthy with substitutions.

Originally posted by TerriS
    Has anyone got this in mastercook and/or have the nutritional info? It sounds like it could be pretty darn healthy with substitutions.
    Here is what I come up with based on a yield of 6 dozen pieces (one piece = one serving):

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 23 Calories; 2g Fat (61.9% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 14mg Cholesterol; 49mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

I don't know how it alters the nutrition to use the marinade from the jar of artichoke hearts to saute the onion and garlic- what's in the marinade?

I just bought some artichoke hearts yesterday - I was planning to make the Chicken-lemon-artichoke dish in this month's CL - but I may have to make this instead!

I have a question about these artichoke hearts. It's the first time I've bought canned instead of jarred. I bought "Reese Artichoke Hearts" 14 oz can, "8-10 small size."
    I bought them because they're in brine, and I think most jarred artichoke hearts are in oil (?). Does anyone know if these are as good as the jarred kind? They had three sizes of artichoke hearts to choose from - I bought the littlest, thinking they would be the tender-ist, (and therefore the most expensive ) ones - does anyone know if "size really does matter" ??
    Kuvy

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
    Anais Nin (1903-1977)

I don't have any marinated artichoke hearts on hand right now, but I think the marinade contains oil, vinegar, salt, and seasonings like garlic, etc. Brine is more or less salt water, I think. So the flavor might be a bit different, and perhaps the texture too due to the oil in the marinated kind.

I have never seen different sizes offered, though- how interesting!

I use canned, but cannot remember seeing different sizes. The canned are great and I usually get them because there is no oil.

Made this for a wine tasting party on Thursday - delicious! Very cheesy with the artichokes adding a nice "upscale" touch. They were a little too soft to be served alone, so next time I will either:
    * simmer the onions/garlic until almost all the liquid has evaporated,
    * pour less liquid in with the onion mixture in the first place,
    or
    * serve the squares on crackers.
    Kuvy

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
    Anais Nin (1903-1977)