Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ed! Is it over??

Hybrid View

Ed! Is it over??

I'm so bummed - my favorite show (well, one of them anyway) is "on the bubble" meaning it may or may not be renewed. I absolutely love Ed, and oddly enough, so does DH. This is totally not his type of show, but we Tivo it and watch it religously.

I loved the season finale - esp. the fireworks at the end! it was so Ed-like! I'm going to miss Frankie though. I kinda liked her, although DH was glad to see her go. I really, really, hope we get to see how Carol and Ed's relationship develops next season!!

I, too, love the show. Unfortunately, I haven't heard good things about Ed's fate on the air.

As much as I enjoyed the tension between Ed & Carol, she started to get on my nerves during the past season. I was glad to see Frankie come in to take Ed's mind off Carol for a while.

DH & I have a theory (which seems more like fact): any show we really like is doomed! Here's yet another example.
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

Wink

Originally posted by AndreaU
    DH & I have a theory (which seems more like fact): any show we really like is doomed! Here's yet another example.
    Not quite, Andrea -- I know you guys love HNIC, and it's still around! (Sorry - I tried to help! Hopefully that offers you at least a bit of consolation. )

Natasha

WHHHAAAAA, I hadnt heard that! AND I forgot about its move to Friday so I missed the finale!!!!
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

You know, I'm almost starting to think that getting moved to Friday nights on that channel is a BAD thing. First Providence (I know, it was always on Fridays)and now, possibly, ED????? Please say this isn't true, I love this show and it's one of the few I make plans to watch!

I too, missed the finale, but my mom is certain it will be on again in a few weeks. So, Kim, keep praying they'll re-show it, and then we'll get our chance!

Okay...it's driving me nuts....what is HNIC???? I have wracked my brain and I can't figure it out!
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Originally posted by Natasha3
    Not quite, Andrea -- I know you guys love HNIC, and it's still around! (Sorry - I tried to help! Hopefully that offers you at least a bit of consolation. )

Natasha
    Natasha- thank you so much for proving our theory wrong!! However, I can't get HNIC here- only when I go back to Buffalo. When I'm feeling down, I sing the theme song and it cheers me up just thinking about it!

ErinM- HNIC is "Hockey Night in Canada"
    "Life is a cookie."

Andrea,

I was just reading about a couple (up here, where else?) who is going to use the theme from Hockey Night in Canada for when they are introduced at their wedding reception. Isn't that a hoot? Wish I'd thought of that one!!

Oh, right...of course you need to go to Buffalo to see HNIC. Well, I still proved your theory wrong, so my job is done here!

Sorry to hijack the 'Ed' thread. Back to work now!

Natasha

Please don't say Ed is gone. DH and I love Ed. We were both happy with the ending - I thought Frankie was only OK.

We will be so sad if Ed is taken off the air

I've been taping Ed since it moved to Fridays, and I'm so glad I had a chance to watch the finale by myself! I sobbed for the last few minutes. (No, it really doesn't have anything to do with a friend of mine I've known since HS on whom I've harbored a crush ever since ... really.)

The only part of the season I missed was any kind of resolution between Molli and the firefighter-dad (we just call him Biff). Does anyone know what happened there?

Ever since Frankie stepped in, I just couldn't like her. I tried. Really. But I've always, always, always wanted Ed and Carol to be together. I couldn't figure out how Ed could choose to be with Frankie - it would be the most manic household when they got married. Besides, she never cut her ties with Leon, so it was SO unfair of her to demand the same of Ed. :mad:

As far as finales go, I thought it was great. I'll be very sad if it's the series finale - but even as a season finale, it wrapped up loose ends instead of leaving us up in the air (I hate that).
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

I love Ed too! I had not heard that it might not be back next year ! I was surprised that they actually did "wrap it up" and show Ed choosing. As it got closer to the end and he couldn't find Carol I was afraid they were going to leave us hanging five months to find out his choice . . . unfortunately it seems like they might have wrapped up the season so nicely because they also might have been wrapping up the series! Bummer! I think I need to write a letter to someone!

Being a total dork, I found and went to Stuckeyville.com to see if they had any insight on whether or not Ed would be renewed. It looks like they had very good ratings Fri. night (despite being up against "The Most Talented Kid in America" and being switched to Fridays 3 shows ago). So maybe there is hope! That site suggested writing to NBC, and also the advertisers, to keep Ed on the air. I looked over some of her sample letters - definitely proofread them first (not that I'm perfect or anything )! It makes me sooo mad that reality shows are overtaking EVERYTHING. Grrrr....

Andrea - I think we're in the same boat. I hardly watch any TV (right now, the only shows I watch are Ed and Six Feet Under, with the occasional Oprah thrown in if the kids are napping and I'm doing the dishes). But I used to watch Murder One, which was cancelled after they switched the time and days it was airing about 40 times. I also watched Ally McBeal, but I didn't enjoy it as much after Robert Downey Jr. left. I'm afraid to start watching any more shows!!

I am going to write! I could save Sports Night, so maybe I can save one of the few intelligent shows on now.....
    ~Kim~

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

Does anyone have the address for NBC/ Saving Ed?

I will write!

Would especially love it, if there was a letter I could just copy and sign my name

Originally posted by kwormann
    I am going to write! I could save Sports Night, so maybe I can save one of the few intelligent shows on now.....
    Did you know Sports Night is out on DVD/video? I have the whole collection on 3 DVDs. I got a really good deal on half.com. Another one of DH's and my favorite shows that got cancelled! (along with Freaks and Geeks!)
    "Life is a cookie."

Molli (and everyone),

Letters and addresses can be found here

How embarrassing!! When I saw the title of this thread I assumed that it was a plea to our "Ed" to begin posting again. I don't watch T.V. so I had no idea that this was actually a T.V. show!

But, since I brought it up, where is our Ed!!! I never see him posting anymore and I really miss him!

Peggy

Originally posted by AndreaU

Did you know Sports Night is out on DVD/video? I have the whole collection on 3 DVDs. I got a really good deal on half.com. Another one of DH's and my favorite shows that got cancelled! (along with Freaks and Geeks!)
    YUP, it was in DH's CHristmas stocking this year
    ~Kim~

Dave Barry

Originally posted by Peggy
    When I saw the title of this thread I assumed that it was a plea to our "Ed" to begin posting again.
    But, since I brought it up, where is our Ed!!! I never see him posting anymore and I really miss him!

Peggy
    I thought the same thing Peggy when I first saw the title too, lol.
    I have been wondering where "our Ed" has been as well and I hope he comes back, says Hi and things are OK.
    We miss you CL BB Ed! Zinnia

Noooo!

I will be so sad if Ed gets canceled. All of my favorite shows get canceled. First Providence, then Friends and Buffy, I hope not Ed too!
    Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. Cadet Maxim

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Originally posted by 1MegMeg
    Noooo!

I will be so sad if Ed gets canceled. All of my favorite shows get canceled. First Providence, then Friends and Buffy, I hope not Ed too!
    OK, just lurking here (as a former devoted fan of Ed -- I quit watching b/c the "I'm ready for you, what? You're not ready for me?" storyline was driving me nuts!), but when did Friends get cancelled?!? Say it ain't so!!
    People are as happy as they make up their minds to be.

-- Abraham Lincoln

I LOOOOOOVE Ed! It's my favorite show, and because I have Tivo I have been able to watch it even with its move to Friday nights (a night when we usually have plans with friends!) I think that they wrapped up the Ed/Carol thing because they weren't sure about the show's future, and they didn't want to leave fans hanging... but I have to admit I am a little concerned. The entire show is based on the tension between those two, and you can't help but wonder what will happen to the show's chemistry now that they have decided to be together! No matter, I will watch it anyway because I think it's the smartest writing on television!

I tried to write to NBC last week, and that part of their website is down, but I will try again today. I love Ed!!!

Oh, and for the record I LOVED Frankie, but she was a little manic. I just loved the machine-gun style dialog between her and Ed. Plus, I really liked that actress on Sports Night, so I was excited to see her turn up again. My favorite episode with her was the dream episode, where Ed uses his dreams to work out whether he and Frankie should give it a go. It was so creative!
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

Originally posted by Jill123

OK, just lurking here (as a former devoted fan of Ed -- I quit watching b/c the "I'm ready for you, what? You're not ready for me?" storyline was driving me nuts!), but when did Friends get cancelled?!? Say it ain't so!!
    Jill:

I have heard/read a few different times that this is Friends' last season. I hope it's not true!
    Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. Cadet Maxim

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Friends has one more season.
    ~Kim~

Dave Barry

Originally posted by kwormann
    Friends has one more season.
    Oh good! Well then, I will save my moping for this time next year.

When Ed first started, I saw an interview with Tom Cavanagh (sp?) about the show, and whether or not him and Carol would get together. I clearly remember him saying that that was such a big storyline, and so integral to the show, that they may just keep it hanging forever, so it was always "out there".

Don't you wonder why they determine a show isn't doing well? I swear that everyone I know watches Ed. Who do they talk to to find out it sucks? I know it has to do with ratings, but they need to get in touch with the "real people" who are sick of watching babe-like model wannabees eat fish guts or answer dumb trivia questions.

Ooops. Didn't mean to rant...sorry!
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Hello from Ed

Hi Peggy, Zinnia, and all you fine folks on the CL BB's,

I've missed you too, and I've missed not being on the BB as much as I would like to. I have been quite busy this past year and a half doing some traveling. I hope to continue with some of the traveling but I do need to be at home more that's for sure.

I'm doing more writing now than I have been doing, I do enjoy that part of my activities. I'm producing 4 to 6 articles a month now, so I'm spending quite a bit of time doing research, and then, of couse, the writing. Also I'm holding a couple of offices in my volunteer activities, which keeps me busy too.

Even though I'm retired from my business I have found that I still need my organizer to keep on track with everything that's going on. I retired from business, but I didn't retire from an active life.

I still enjoy cooking when I get the chance, but my time in the kitchen has become less and less, which my good wife would like to see change. After all those years of raising kids etc. she likes it when I'm in the kitchen with her cooking something up. I have been cooking when I get the opportunity though. Sharon and I made a supper in January? for a group of about 30 people and it went over just fine, and then we made some dishes for a Pot Luck and that was a fine get together. On each occasion I had some of the women ask for a recipe or two, that really puts a smile on my face to have people like what I cook well enough to want to make it too. So I was e-mailing some recipes to those fine judges of good food.

All-in-all things are going well around here, and Sharon and I are enjoying life. Two of our Daughters are coming "home" for Easter with their families, and with any luck at all I will help with the dinner preperation.

This is going to be a busy week for us with Easter coming up and some other activities, and to top it off our Wedding Anniversary comes in just before Easter this year, very unusual for us, it's usually after Easter.

Way back when my Mother convinced us that if we waited until after Easter to get married it would be better, so we did, but as you can see not by much because this year it's coming before we color Easter Eggs. I always listened to my Mom.

I remember an old movie, from the 40's I believe, about Diamond Jim Brady, (starring Edward Arnold,) in which Diamond Jim didn't smoke, and when another person in the movie asked him why? he said; "I promised my Mother I wouldn't." So he didn't smoke. I think it's great for a guy to keep a promise, it tells you a lot about a man if he does.

Well, that didn't have much to do with anything in particular but, I remembered it, and I like the sentiment.

Best Wishes to all of you and, Happy Cooking.

Ed
    http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Leo/
    Happy to meet, sorry to part, happy to meet again.

ED!!

It is so good to hear from you! I always enjoyed reading your posts and seeing that you had visited the BB in the late evenings. Sounds like you have been quite busy. Happy Anniversary to you and Sharon! Take care and hope to see you around occasionally.

Fondly,

Peggy

Hi Ed!!
    Ditto what Peggy said!
    I also wanted to say that it was great to hear from you again, but it sounds like you have been busy. You have been missed and hope you stop in around here once in awhile. Happy Anniversary to you and Sharon!
    Zinnia

Hi Everyone,

I dug this thread up from last April when we were all lamenting the possible cancellation of Ed.

I haven't enjoyed this season as much as some others, but I do still watch this show regularly and enjoy it. I wasn't thrilled with the move to Friday night and now I am concerned that perhaps it is going to end entirely. The promos NBC is running for February sweeps keep referring to the "finale of Ed." They are not saying "series" finale, but they are not saying "season" finale either. Does anyone know anything about this?

From what I understand, once again its on the bubble. So if there are shows that do better as a mid-season replacement then Ed does...it may not be back.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?