Community Message Boards

Thread: Success!!!!! Gracie's Payday Cheesecake!

Success!!!!! Gracie's Payday Cheesecake!

I wanted to make a cheesecake that would have all the liquers we love in an after dinner coffee - Kahlua, Frangelico and Bailey's. At DH's restaurant, they call this coffee a "Payday" so here is the recipe for my new creation - Payday Cheesecake.

The experiment came out wonderful. You can taste all three flavors but none of them are overpowering. This is really good!

The best part is that it's super light. Only 5 and 1/4 points for a serving, assuming 12 servings. It's so light that you don't have to cut it into miniscule pieces to get 16 out of the cake.

AND...... DH had NO IDEA it was even remotely light! And I'm not telling!

I modified the recipe Clairea found for Chocolate-Frangelico cheesecake and used her suggestion to put the Bailey's and Kahlua in the cake part and the Frangelico in the whipped cream topping. I was afraid to add too much liquid to the cake part. However, using the given cooking time, it was almost overcooked and I think next time I won't be afraid to put all 3 liquers in the cake. I would also like to try YP's suggestion to make 3 different layers. So that's my next experiment.

In the meantime, here it is (drumroll, please!)

Gracie's Payday Cheesecake!!!

Crust:
    1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
    3 T. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter

Filling:
    3 8-oz bars of fat free cream cheese, room temperature
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup fat free sour cream
    5 tsp. cornstarch
    3 egg whites
    1 whole egg
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/4 cup (2 oz, or one "nip") Kahlua
    1/4 cup (2 oz, or one "nip") Bailey's

Topping:
    1/4 cup (2 oz, or one "nip") Frangelico
    2 cups fat free whipped topping

Preheat oven to 425. Mix graham cracker crumbs with the ICBINB and press into the bottom of a nonstick-sprayed springform pan.

Mix cream cheese, sugar, sour cream and cornstarch. Add egg whites, egg and vanilla, mix well. Add Bailey's and Kahlua and mix well.

Pour cheese mixture into crust. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Lower the oven temp to 325 and bake for an additional 45 minutes.

Remove from oven and cool in pan on a rack.

When completely cool, thaw frozen whipped topping and blend in the Frangelico until completely mixed. Spread or pipe whipped topping onto cake and chill for at least 4 hours.

Assuming 12 servings - 5 1/3 Weight Watcher points.

Here's the point breakdown (some point values are rounded up to the next whole point):

3 T. ICBINB = 3 points
    1 1/2 C. graham cracker crumbs = 16 points
    1/2 C. sugar = 8 points
    1/4 C. fat free sour cream = 2 points
    5 tsp. cornstarch = 3 points
    1 egg = 2 points
    3 egg whites = 1 point
    2 C. fat free whipped topping = 16 points
    1/4 C. Bailey's = 4 points
    1/4 C. Frangelico = 4 points
    1/4 C. Kahlua = 4 points

Total for cake = 63 points
    12 servings = 5 1/3 points

It would be even lighter to use YP's suggestion to make 3 layers and not use the whipped topping.

This'll be a definite repeater in our house. Even DD liked it. DH thought she might not because he said "it tastes like booze" but she loved it.

If anyone tries this, please let me know if you like it. Enjoy!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Woohoo Gracie. I'm so glad your experiment payed off! Good for you! Hey, you never know, maybe you could send it in to CL for publishing?

Sounds awesome! How would you do the three layers though? Divide batter in thirds, add liqueur and layer? Would they stay seperate?

I can see why it's called Payday. I'd have to wait until I deposited a check to go buy all the ingredients. The cake looks AWESOME, Gracie. I'd love to give it a shot sometimes.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Loren,
    That concoction of yours hopefully will be served @ your hubby's restaurant very soon....looks scrumptious! I will definitely try it for my next dinner party!
    Linda
    Linda

Loren....I can feel your excitement! So, when we have our next Koffee Klatch will you make it for us? Congrats on your creation.

Loren,

Glad to hear the Payday Cheesecake was a success. This is definitely on my list to try when I get my kitchen goodies back.

I would like to do it the 3 layer way - and was wondering how much liquer you would put in each layer?

Thanks!

YP I'd love to submit it! I never thought of that. But I don't know where to send it.

Leightx and Mollie I'd divide the cheese mixture into thirds and put the 1/4 cup of each liquer in each and just mix well. I know from the way it cooked (and cracked!) that there wouldn't be too much liquid. I don't know if the layers would stay separated and I'm not sure that they'd be different colors, but the taste of each would be there. I think it would need the whipped topping anyway, just plain though, and definitely half as much. Plain whipped topping would hide the cracks and besides, when you get a coffee drink, you get whipped cream on top anyway.

Mary Kate LOL! I always thought that naming it Payday was pretty random, as DD would say. Now I know!

Mamasue I'd love to make it for the next klatch. Can we have it on a Saturday when we have it? With a new job, it's tough to get off during the week.

Linda If they served it at the Pub, you can bet it won't be light! Men! What they don't know won't hurt them!

Loren

Gracie, your creation looks absolutely wonderful - my mom's favorite liquers and my dad's favorite dessert - cheesecake! Most definitely going to try this

Here's whom you'd send it to - I really think you should go for it!

"Do you have a light recipe you love? If so, we want it, too. Mail to Reader Recipes, Cooking Light, P.O. Box 1748, Birmingham, AL 35201. If we publish yours, we'll send you $50 and a Cooking Light T-Shirt. Submit each recipe on a separate sheet of paper, include your address, daytime phone number, and a brief note explaining how you came up with the recipe. We reserve the right to edit all recipes, recipes can't be returned. All recipes submitted become the property of Cooking Light." April 2003, p. 179

I think if you submitted it, explaining to them just how you explained to us how you came up with it, you could have a real winner on your hands!

Have fun with your next triple-layer experiment - that sounds really great

Kayla
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

OHHH

I'm sorry I forgot to get back to you on this! I looked up in my book and 1 1/2 oz liquer is 4points so you may have to update your points info

JeAnne

it does look fabulous!
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Re: OHHH

Originally posted by greysangel
    I'm sorry I forgot to get back to you on this! I looked up in my book and 1 1/2 oz liquer is 4points so you may have to update your points info
    That's ok. Even if we added an extra point for the extra 1/2 oz liquer for each one, I still think it will be best with all 3 liquers in the cake and half as much plain whipped topping. The extra points for the liquers would add 3 points to the total but using half the whipped topping would minus 8 points so overall it would be 5 points lower even with the added liquer points.

I sent it in to be considered as a Reader Recipe. We'll see if I hear from anyone. I didn't realize they paid for the ones they use.

I hope someone tries this! It would be nice to get a different point of view. We know we love it!

Loren

Hey Loren,

I'm glad that recipe worked out for you, and that you were able to come up with what you were looking for!

Loren-

I think you should definitely send it in!!! DH isn't a huge cheesecake fan so I'll have to hunt down an event to bring this to

JeAnne
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

I sent it in! We'll see if I hear back at all.

Meanwhile, DH is still happily eating a piece a day, never realizing it's fat free...

Loren

Ummm, Gracie? In your Points calculation, I think you may have forgotten the FF cream cheese ...
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

OMG you're right!

FF cream cheese is 1 point for 2 oz. I used 24 oz so that's an extra 12 pts.

That brings it to 78 as made this way, including JeAnne's more accurate assessment for the liquers. Divided by 12 slices is 6.5 points per slice.

Thanks Mary Kate!

Loren

Ohhh, Gracie... I can't wait to hear if they "buy" the recipe from you!

Best of luck!
    Kayla
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

Best of luck Gracie. I hope they buy the recipee from you. It sounds good even though I am not a cheesecake fan.
    Leisa

Gracie, this looks wonderful! I have my printer working as I type.

One question... I'm not a huge fan of whipped toppings, do you think that I could sub some sour cream to mix with the frangelico? I've never actually hadd Frangelico, but it does sound so pretty!

Thanks so much for posting it here, and I hope you do send it in.

Kim

Gracie -

How do you find the texture of the cheesecake comes out after using three blocks of non-fat cream cheese versus using 1/3 less fat cream cheese?

I'm scared to go the totally non-fat route, as there is a noticeable difference in the texture of non-fat versus 1/3 less fat even before baking it.

I've finally had a number of successes with cheesecakes, using 1/3 less fat, I don't want to ruin my track record...

KimKelly You could certainly sub sour cream if you like the taste, however I'm not sure if it would really go with the liquers. If you're not a fan of whipped topping, I'd say add all the liquers to the cake and serve it plain, without any topping.

aliwally I honestly can't tell the difference between the FF and the 1/3 fat cream cheese when baking. There's good flavor in this cake and the texture is fine with the FF. You could always bake it using all 1/3 fat cheese or a mixture of FF and 1/3 fat, it would just have more calories/points. I just wanted to see how low I could go! I'm sure it would be even better using the 1/3 because it would be richer. Believe me, my DH is eating it every night and he thinks it's full fat cream cheese because he can't even imagine anything else when it comes to cheescake so it's never entered his mind that it could be really light. If he found out that the cake was fat free, he wouldn't touch it again, even though he's eaten 90% of it himself. I guess it's mind over matter!

Loren

Loren,

That's great to hear about the FF cream cheese. If it tricks your DH, then that is good enough for me. I have had some bad experiences with FF cream cheese and am a little gun shy about it.

Gracie, thanks for the tip! I think that is how I'll do it.

Kim

bringing this back up to ask...

Any chance of using all Bailey's in this and having it work? I'm lookin for a perfect St. Patty's Day dessert. I don't mind a strong Bailey's flavor. Or, can anyone suggest other liquors? Mint?

Continuing my search...

Terri I'm sure you could use all Bailey's. That would be exactly 3 "nips" unless you already have a large bottle!

That's a great idea for St. Patrick's Day! Maybe I'll get ambitious and make one, too!

Loren

P.S. CL never bought my recipe <sniff!> But it's really good and it fooled the low fat police (DH)!

Loren

I can't believe they didn't buy this Gracie! It sounds incredible.
    Thoughts on proper size springform pan? Does it matter?

Terri, I honestly don't know if I have a 9 or 10" pan. So I'm sure either would be fine!

If you make, pleeeeeease report back! I want to know what you thought!

Loren