Community Message Boards

Poll: Do you have Good Friday off?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has Good Friday off?

Who has Good Friday off?

I know that it isn't an official holiday here in the US, but in Canada everything is shut down (businesses, stores, schools, etc). DH gets the day off, and the kids are off from school, but it it's a teacher service day of something like that.

Just curious, are you working on Good Friday?

BTW, I voted other as I don't work.

My mother will be coming up for Easter weekend. She originally planned to come up on Friday saying "I'm assuming you have Good Friday off". Well, no, I don't. And in my 20+ years of working, I have never had a job that gave me Good Friday off.

That said, I am blindsided every year by the fact that DD has it off from school. I can never remember that.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I have Friday off - and Monday is a holiday for us too!

Yes, I have the day off - I work at a University and it's a university holiday.

Originally posted by SandyM
    I have Friday off - and Monday is a holiday for us too!
    Monday is holiday for us, too, here in MA - it's Patriot's Day. But I didn't realize other states had the day off. What holiday is it in MI?

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Originally posted by KathrynY
    Yes, I have the day off - I work at a University and it's a university holiday.
    So do I, but we don't get it off. We will get Cesar Chavez day though.

Have a great day off!!
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

No day off. It's not a local school holiday either, but the county court offices are closed. Oddly, the public library is open.

I have taken a vacation day in the past, but I'm not this year. The girls have their parties & egg hunts at daycare tomorrow so I'll leave work for a few hours to help out with the parties.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I have to work, but how I wish I'd taken it as a vacation day. What was I thinking? I've never gotten it off either.
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

I'm off on Good Friday AND the Monday after Easter. I work at a college. The students were on spring break this week along with faculty. Staff get to take Friday and Monday. I think it's actually two holidays that get moved from whenever they appear on the calendar to these two days. I may be taking off something crazy like "Confederate Memorial Day". Who knows. Usually I work most of these holidays because I can get so much work done when my phone isn't ringing all the time. This year, I've decided I'm taking both days.

Most of the men in my department evidently have been having horrid cases of PMS, and I'm just tired of dealing with them this week.

I do as I'm not working right now! :mad:

As for DH, he has Friday and Monday off. Looking forward to spending 4 days with him!
    Adele

My Blog - http://passioknit.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by Gracie Monday is holiday for us, too, here in MA - it's Patriot's Day. But I didn't realize other states had the day off. What holiday is it in MI?

Loren
    Not a holiday - we're just lucky, I guess!

Originally posted by Melman

Most of the men in my department evidently have been having horrid cases of PMS, and I'm just tired of dealing with them this week.
    Sounds like the faculty in my department on a daily basis.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Originally posted by Wendy w
    We will get Cesar Chavez day though.
    Wendy - this absolutely cracked me up! When is Cesar Chavez day? I don't seem to have it on my calendar.

I will say that the holiday didn't stop my faculty from scheduling a big lunch meeting tomorrow. I am trying to figure out how to get sandwiches here tomorrow without actually coming to work . I am not sure if none of them celebrate Good Friday, or if they are all just clueless!

I voted "other". I have the day off, but I am off every Friday, so I guess it doesn't really "count". My office is still open, though.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Nope, we're open. In fact, our firm is celebrating its third anniversary with a luncheon tomorrow, so everyone will be here.

DH doesn't have off either - his campus (public) is open as well.

All of my holidays are "floating" meaning I get to choose which days to take throughout the year. That way employees who observe different religions- some of which do not have nationally observed holidays- can take the days that are important to them.

I haven't taken a holiday yet this year, but am planning to take two days at Memorial Day and two days for July 4th- I like the idea of a couple of 4-day weekends.

Originally posted by gertdog
    All of my holidays are "floating" meaning I get to choose which days to take throughout the year. That way employees who observe different religions- some of which do not have nationally observed holidays- can take the days that are important to them.
    I just have to say that this is a really fabulous idea! Too bad more companies don't have similar policies.

HA HA HA HA!!! Hmmm . . . let's see, we get 6 holidays off per year, and you can bet that Good Friday is not one of them!!!! I guess I can't complain too much - we do get 10 "floating" days per year, but those are also our sick days. I'll be here tomorrow!
    Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with wild abandon or not at all. --Harriet Van Horne

Originally posted by KathrynY

I just have to say that this is a really fabulous idea! Too bad more companies don't have similar policies.
    It is quite nice. I have been very lucky- my jobs, at non-profits, can't offer huge salaries, but they try to make up for it with very generous vacation and leave policies. At my last job, it was a hybrid- Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day were mandatory holidays, and the rest floated. At my new job, everything is optional. Essentially, it's like giving you additional vacation days- I could declare my birthday a "holiday" and take that day if I wanted. But vacation days can be carried over to next year if unused; holidays can't.

The university and the restaurant are both open on Good Friday - but I don't have classes on Fridays, and I requested the day (actually, all of Holy Week) off from the restaurant. My time is booked for the day, though, since I'll be singing at Good Friday services.

I still wonder why I never followed up on this, but at my last job, we worked weekends, and concerts were always scheduled for Fri-Sat, but not Easter Sunday. I finally got bold one year and took Good Friday as a holiday (a real, honest-to-goodness holyday). The hours came out of my personal time. What's odd is that those people who also took Good Friday off had time taken out of their personal days, but people who took days to celebrate Passover weren't docked any personal days because it was a holiday. (And yes, the woman making that decision was Jewish.) Is that discrimination, or what? :mad:
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

I work for the corporate offices for a big clothing retail chain so we have to be here so that everyone else can be out shopping at our sales!!!!
    I usually take Good Friday off, but this year (yeah, I know, it's only April) I've been going through vacation days like a madman, so I'm going to be here.
    "I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year: 'Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.' And he replied: 'Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.' " --M. L. Haskins

I'll be darned - I've never heard of companies giving Good Friday off.

And I really like that floating holiday idea! But I have to say that the offices I've worked in have been very accommodating. For some unknown reason my church only has Good Friday service at noon. When my office was near my church I simply took a longer lunch to go to church and no one minded. When I was working 20 miles away my (Jewish) boss got his secretary to call all the local churches to track down a noontime service for me.

As funnybone said, Good Friday is a stat holiday here, so I will be off. I don't get Monday off, though most of the time in school I did, and also when I worked for the federal and the provincial governments. I was so surprised once, many years ago, when I was in New York State on Good Friday and everything was open. Many Canadians find it somewhat curious that people get/take more time off for Thanksgiving in the U.S. than they do for Easter. (Personally, I think they're both worth a good long break!)

I am so looking forward to a long weekend. Haven't had a stat holiday since New Year's Day!

Happy Easter, all.

Natasha
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

I teach and today starts our Spring break. Woo hoo!! We go back on the 28th.
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

Another 'other'. My employer has neither Good Friday nor Passover off. I'm taking a half day to be with family.

As an amusing sidelight, the new Big Mahoff scheduled a series of conferences (short committee meetings) for Good Friday afternoon and just about got his head handed to him for being a jerk! He rescheduled them...

Stefania4 - your boss sounds like a darling. There's a group of folks who work in hospitals and volunteer to work on the high holy days of others' faiths so that others can be with their families or worshipping on those holy days.

Talk about a wonderful way to show kindness!
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

Originally posted by stefania4
    For some unknown reason my church only has Good Friday service at noon.
    I tihnk it may have something to do with the believed time of the crucifixion. According to scriptures (most of them, anyway), Jesus was crucified at the third hour of the day. Since time is counted from the sunrise, and the sun would rise at approximately 6 AM, many people believe Jesus was crucified at 9 AM. The skies turned dark from the 6th hour (noon) until the 9th hour (6 PM), when He died.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

No day off here (but I'm in school - large public university). We had spring break the last week of March, and get no additional holidays for Easter/Good Friday.

No day off this year, but I got Good Friday off at my last job (software company). I always thought it was odd, anyway.

I miss the vacations I had with my past jobs -- we hardly get anything off here!
    People are as happy as they make up their minds to be.

-- Abraham Lincoln

I voted other.
    This is because I got a NEW JOB!!! and this is my last day at the current job! I intentionally said today would be my last so I'd at least get one day off between jobs.
    My new job we get a half day Good Friday.
    Bakers have the best buns.
    "Cookie Bearchild" by Boyds Bear

Well, DH and I don't "work" at real jobs so we have most every day off! The DSs are all off tomorrow (2 in university that have the day off...public school in Texas). DS#3 has Friday and Monday (HS student). The town where we do most of our shopping will be shut down as of noon tomorrow if the store opens at all (banks are closed).
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!