Community Message Boards

Thread: Pre-Cooked/Pre-sliced Potatoes...any thoughts?

Question Pre-Cooked/Pre-sliced Potatoes...any thoughts?

As I stumbled through my local supermarket this evening, I came across some packages of pre-cooked/pre-sliced potatoes..
    Since I have to cook for a crowd for Easter Sunday, and was planning on making an Au Gratin potatoe dish, I was absolutely giddy..
    But now I'm home and experiencing a little buyer's remorse.
    I'm thinking that this is way too easy.
    Per package directions, just assemble the dish and either bake in oven or microwave. (I'm leaning toward baking in oven). But now I'm getting nervous since I've never used them.
    Any thoughts...Has anyone has ever used these ???

I haven't used them, but.....think positive....I'm sure that they will work great!!

hmmm..I usually don't buy stuff like that. I wonder if you have enough..could you try baking a handful of them tonight? Add a little of the ingredients that your dish calls for (milk, cheese, butter?)just to see how the texture of the potato comes out. Although..it's gettting pretty late on the East coast, maybe you want to try it early in the morning and run to the store for 'real' potato backup ...just in case. Good luck!!

Abbey

Heck. I say go for it. Don't kill yourself over a breakfast dish. Be thankful for some of the short cuts that are available now. I know Real Simple calls for those pre-shredded potatoes in a few of their quick dinner suggestions.

Imagine - most people would pick up a Stouffer's frozen something-or-other and that would be it. Yours will still be 10x better because it's homemade!
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Thanks for the response's everyone...
    I think that I'm going to give them a try...I'll let everyone know how they turn out.
    And,MKSquared, thanks for the perspective. My mom made boxed Betty Crocker potatoes my entire childhood, and these have got to be at least 10x better

I have never tried those potatoes, but I regularly buy the "fresh" hashbrown potatoes and we think they're great! I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but they're in a green bag. It sure beats shredding your own potatoes.