Community Message Boards

Thread: what goes with jambalaya?

what goes with jambalaya?

Hi all,
    I'm going to make shrimp jambalaya (from CL Complete) for my next dinner group meeting. Since I'm hosting I have to assign other dishes for others to make or bring. We don't limit ourselves to CL recipes, or even to light recipes for that matter.

I was thinking crawfish or crab bisque, maque-choux or mirlitons as sides. Any other ideas for cajun/creole or New Orleans themed appetizers, desserts, side dishes or living room munchies for before we sit down?

Many thanks, in advance.

Whenever we have jambalaya we sort of mix up curtures, but its works -

Sauteed plantains

crudite with cajun dip

Salad with a creole mustard dressing

Hope these help

Bread Pudding for dessert!!!

New Orleans Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce and Chantilly Cream

Recipe By : Paul Prudhomme
    Serving Size : 8(but you could get 10) Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 eggs
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
    1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/4 cup unsalted butter -- melted
    2 cups milk
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup pecans, dry-roasted -- coarsely chopped
    5 cups bread cubes -- French or Italian
    Lemon Sauce
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 lemon -- halved
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    3/4 cup water -- divided
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    Chantilly Cream
    2/3 cup heavy cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon brandy
    1 teaspoon Grand Marnier
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons sour cream

In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat eggs on high speed until extremely frothy and bubbles are the size of pinheads, about 3 minutes (or with a metal whisk about 6 minutes). Add the sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, and butter and beat on high until well blended. Beat in the milk, then stir in the raisins and pecans.

Place the bread cubes in a greased loaf pan. Pour the egg mixture over them and toss until the bread is soaked. Let sit until you see only a narrow bead of liquid around the pan's edges, about 45 minutes, patting the bread down into the liquid occasionally. Place in a preheated 350 oven. Immediately lower the oven to 300 and bake 40 minutes. Increase the oven to 425 and bake until pudding is well browned and puffy, about 15-20 minutes more.

Lemon Sauce
    Meanwhile, squeeze the juice from the halved lemon (should be about 2 tbs) into a 1-quart saucepan, add the lemon halves, 1/2 cup of the water and bring to a boil. Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1/4 cup of water. Add the cornstarch mixture and the vanilla to the pan. Cook 1 minute over high heat, stirring constantly. Strain, squeezing the sauce from the lemon rinds. Makes about 3/4 cup. Serve warm.

Chantilly Cream
    Refrigerate a medium-size bowl and the beaters until very cold. Combine the cream, vanilla, brandy and Grand Marnier in the bowl and beat on medium speed 1 minute. Add the sugar and sour cream and beat on medium speed until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes. Do not overbeat.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 522 Calories; 23g Fat (39.3% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 73g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 123mg Cholesterol; 225mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 4 1/2 Fat; 3 Other Carbohydrates.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Crusty sourdough or French bread.
    Mary Ann

I'm thinking cornbread (mainly 'cause I like it ).

I'm not really up on creole versus traditional southern cooking, so please forgive me if this is improper...

Okra,
    black eyed peas

Here's a link
    http://www.gumbopages.com/recipe-page.html

There's a pic of Emeril, so it's got to be good, right
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'