Community Message Boards

Thread: Moosewood Challenge: Eggplant Parmesan

Moosewood Challenge: Eggplant Parmesan

OMG this is sooooo amazingly good!! We absolutely loved it!!! It tasted better than anything we've ever gotten at any restaurant, actually we kept commenting while it was cooking that our house smelled like a restaurant. DH made the Tomato Wine Sauce from the book that they say to use in this dish, and I highly recommend making the sauce too, I read some other reviews where people used their own sauce. This sauce is just so so yummy and goes perfectly with the eggplant! We will definitely be making this recipe again and again, I can't imagine that we could find an eggplant parm recipe we would like more than this one. The only drawback is it was a lot of time and steps to prepare it, but you could easily do most of it in advance. Oh, it's also good reheated for leftovers!

Kari

Kari....someone has beeb awfully busy! Sounds wonderful! Which Moosewood are you using? Thanks

Sue, all of the recipes posted under the Moosewood Challenge threads are from Moosewood Lowfat Favorites.

Thanks Val....

I have made this before and it IS really good. I admit to using prepared sauce though. I will have to preplan next time and make the sauce from scratch. Sounds good!

Okay, Kari- you've just about convinced me to try this (eggplant aversion here). I am making up a batch of Lindrusso's Magnificent marinara in the crockpot today and would use this for the red sauce in the Eggplant Parmesan.

Kari or Heather- How do you think this would hold up to being frozen? I'd like to make it tomorrow, to have on hand for Friday...
    If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Originally posted by Mamasue
    Kari....someone has been awfully busy!
    Yeah Dh has As some of you know, he's our resident chef. I just get the fun of picking most of the recipes we try and tasting the results! I can cook, and I'm not bad at it, I just don't love it like he does. But it evens out because he doesn't like to bake and I love it. Oh, and all the recipes we made were made over the last week or so, I'm just a slacker and posted my reviews in one big lump!

As far as freezing it, I'm hoping someone else can give you a more qualified answer than me. I'm new to freezing things, and most of what I freeze is baked goods anyway. I just did a search on the boards and someone asked about freezing eggplant parm (not the Moosewood recipe) and everyone said you could with no problem. Hope that helps a little!

Kari

I think it would do fine freezing. Eggplant parmesan is usually a pretty safe bet for freezing no matter which recipe you choose.

This sounds great and I love eggplant. Could someone please post the recipe? Idon't have Moosewood. I did get the sauce that was posted. Thank you.

Here's the recipe

Eggplant Parmesan

Serves 8

2 large eggplants, cut crosswise into 1/2" slices (about 2 lbs)
    4 egg whites
    1/4 t salt
    2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
    1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
    1 large garlic clove, minced or pressed
    2 t dried basil
    3 1/2 c Tomato Wine Sauce
    1 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
    2 cups grated part skim mozzerella (8 oz)

1. Preheat oven to 350.
    2. Slice eggplant and set aside. Find a bowl in which the eggplant rounds can lie flat and lightly beat the egg whites and salt in it. In another large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and basil.
    3. Dip the eggplant slices in the egg whites, then dredge them in the bread crumb mixture to coat both sides evenly. Place breaded slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Should you have any leftover bread crumb mixture, set it aside. Bake eggplant for about 20 minutes on each side, until tender and easily pierced with a fork.
    4. Spread about half the sauce in the bottom of an 8x12" glass baking dish. Layer about half the eggplant slices on top of the sauce. Spread all the ricotta cheese evenly on the eggplant and top with about 1 1/2 cups mozzarella. Use the rest of the eggplant slices for a second layer. Cover them with remaining sauce and any extra bread crumb mixture. Sprinkle top with the final 1/2 cup mozzarella and bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Per serving: 270 calories, 19.8g protein, 9.9g fat, 28.3g carbs, 21mg cholesterol, 760mg sodium, 4.9g fiber

Thanks for the answers about freezing, Kari and Heather This looks pretty simple to put together, so I think I will wait until Friday and cook it up fresh; along with the Italian Vegetables on pg 226

The Magnificent Marinara I put into the crockpot this morning is done and THAT will go into the freezer, instead
    If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Thanks for posting, Pilgrim. I'm going to try it this week.

Yum!

I made this up last night while waiting for my best friend to arrive (two hour drive to visit me for the weekend!). It was soooo good and he really really liked it too (as evidenced by how quickly his plate emptied).

It took a while to make, but I had a lot of fun getting my fingers dirty and singing away to a CD.

Definite repeater.

A quick postscript to my review - we had the leftovers last night, and it didn't handle the (microwave) reheat well. It was still okay, but not nearly as yummy as the previous night.

I suspect it might be the ricotta - I've yet to make something with ricotta in it that reheats well.

Hmm...maybe this should appear on my budding menu! Can someone post the Tomato Wine sauce?

Thanks!
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Yes, me too, I would like that tomato wine sauce, plse
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

Here we go

We loved the eggplant parm recipe and here is the sauce...

Tomato Wine Sauce
    2 t olive oil
    1 c finely choppe onions
    2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed
    1/4 t salt
    2 t ground fennel
    1 t dried oregano
    1 t dried basil
    1/3 c red wine
    3 c undrained canned tomatoes (28oz can)
    salt and ground black pepper to taste

In a sauce pan warm the olive oil. Add the onions and garlic, spinkle with salt and saute 5-7 minutes on low heat. Add the next 4 ingredients and saute for one minute. Pour in the wine and bring to a boil. Whirl the tomatoes in a blender until just pureed and add to the sauce pan and simmer gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Kari, my dear, you were so right. This is amazing. And coming from someone who has heretofore gagged at the taste and texture of eggplant, this recipe is revolutionary!!

The "breading" I used was a combination of Panko and bread crumbs. I had A LOT of leftover eggplant- I had to double the amount of egg white and bread crumbs to cover it all (maybe my eggplant were larger than average, maybe my slices were too thin?) and still had enough after the breadcrumb mixture was gone to put the rest in with the roasted vegetables- but DH and I couldn't stop eating the breaded and baked slices straight from the baking pan, so the extra disappeared even before we sat down to dinner

I used Lindrusso's Magnificent Marinara for the sauce- gorgeous, as always.

This is a definite repeater- it's a company repeater because it's so classy and delicious. It does take a bit of time prepping and baking the eggplant, so it was a good Saturday night project- but oh-so-worth-it!

And Paula- I have to disagree- reheated leftovers for lunch yesterday were just as good! I thought maybe the eggplant would be all soggy and revert to the usual eggplant-nastiness, but alas- still yum!

I think I'm gonna make this with zucchini tomorrow. Are the bread crumbs essential? That's something I never have. Not sure why.
    Adele

My Blog - http://passioknit.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by yorkshirepud
    I think I'm gonna make this with zucchini tomorrow. Are the bread crumbs essential? That's something I never have. Not sure why.
    Adele- yes, they really are. The eggplant (or in your case zucchini) are dipped in egg white then dredged in the crumbs and baked to make crispy, solid slices. Delectable. I would think that without the process the dish would be too soggy. This process- complete with the breading- are what makes this so good.

DO you have bread? Well then you have breadcrumbs! Tear up a few slices in chunks, stick in the oven to toast until crispy, and pulse in the food processor or blender until the consistency you like. Maybe add some dried herbs for extra excitement.

Or you could use cornmeal- polenta.

Julie

Thanks Julie. I don't have bread either! I'll probably go the cornmeal route if I don't go to the store for bread or crumbs. Although I do have cornflakes? What they be better than the cornmeal you think?
    Adele

KValley, I noticed you used 1/2 panko 1/2 breadcrumb, I just bought some panko and wanted to use them as well, this is on my menu for next week, did you add any extra seasoning to the breadcrumb/panko mixture, or did you leave them plain?

TIA!

Thumbs up

Just wanted to add my thumbs up for this! I made it on Monday and it was yummy.

I wouldn't recommend preparing the breaded eggplant ahead of time though ... as I used cornflakes for my coating ... they softened somewhat in the fridge and lost their crunch.

Definate repeater though.

I was going to use Panko but wanted to shift some leftover cornflakes, which is works well with btw.

YP
    Adele

I'm planning on making this recipe this weekend. There is so much talk about it!! About the breadcrumbs..I do have the breadcrumbs you buy at the grocery, the fine breadcrumbs. Is that ok? Would I use the same amount the recipe calls for b/c they are fine?

Or should I do what KValley mentioned, just toast some wheat bread and make my own (which i've never done, but i imagine is very easy)?

THANKS.

Wow, Julie!! I was out of town for a week and never read your review of the Eggplant Parmesan until now. What an amazing review you gave this dish, I am so happy you liked it so much! I know what you mean about the usual texture of eggplant in dishes, I never order it at a restaurant because I'm always afraid it won't be a good one. But this recipe will make an eggplant lover out of almost anyone! I'm glad I was able to "persuade" you to try this dish.

Pony, I would just make my own bread crumbs from the whole wheat bread. That's what DH did when he made this recipe. It's very easy and quick to do in the food processor. I think the coarser crumb of the homemade bread crumbs will hold up better in this dish than the finer store-bought bread crumbs. I can't say for sure of course, but I think they may not crisp up as much. Someone else may have a better answer for you. Hope you try the eggplant!

Kari

I agree with Kari regarding the breadcrumbs in this dish. We just ate the leftovers last night, and they were SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good! I used the heels from a few loaves of a multigrain/wheat bread(Natural Ovens of Manitowac-TY Mom!!! She just visited us from Wisconsin last week and brought me a few loaves!!). The nuttiness/flavor from the fresh crumbs really shine in this dish. I hope you enjoy it!

Karen

Thanks for the help. I will use the wheat bread we have here. I'm making this tonight with the wine sauce. Very excited :-)

I made this with zucchini since no one in my house likes eggplant except me. I used store-bought bread crumbs in the canister. They crunched up very well when I baked the zucchini (I sliced it in strips) but then when I put the dish together with the sauce and the cheeses, they got un-crunchy (not soggy, just not crunchy anymore).

The flavor was great and I loved the recipe and will do it again. I'm just wondering if when you all used "real" breadcrumbs made from bread or panko, did your eggplant stay crunchy in the casserole format?

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I made this last night along with the Italian Roasted Vege's that were posted on here! I loved it 4/5 and FI was not as impressed as I wanted him to be, he prefers Chicken Parmesan. Plus, he had just looked through Martha Stewart and commented on the Chicken Parm. receipe in her magazine before having the Eggplant. He did like the vegetable and so did I. He said he would eat it again, thank goodness, lots of leftovers!
    I ended up using a nut grain bread and made my breadcrumbs, thanks for the recommendations.
    Anyways, I have a questions, I did not peel the eggplant. Should it have been peeled? That was the only thing FI did not like, the skin on the eggplant. I did not mind it at all, but it was definitely more chewy than the rest of the eggplant. But I like the skin on vegetables and fruits.

Thanks!