Community Message Boards

Thread: REV: Chicken Oreganata CL 5/03

Thumbs up REV: Chicken Oreganata CL 5/03

YUM!

Nothing suprising here...just a wonderfully fragrant, moist and tasty chicken dish. The lemon marinade kept the chicken wonderfully moist and the garlic and oregano make the dish. I used breasts instead of thighs to cut down on fat. If I were to use thighs, I don't think I would add all that olive oil to the marinade but that's just me

I had this with the Orzo, Tomato and zucchini toss that was a side featured on pg 194 of the april 03 issue. That was a perfect compliment and a lovely and easy to prepare side as well. Roasted bliss potatoes would also be great with this chicken.

JeAnne
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Hooray!

I love it when there's a positive review for a dish I am planning to make for company before I've tried it myself.

Thanks for sharing JeAnne!
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

I fixed this last night and we all loved it too. I did use the thighs, but trimmed them more thoroughly than usual (for me). It smelled wonderful baking, but I thought 45 minutes was a long time. I cooked them for 40 minutes and I thought they were just starting to dry out. I did cut back on the olive oil slightly.

I served plain orzo (too lazy to fix it with zucchini). Then I had plain green beans to go along and fresh cantaloupe. Easy and delicious dinner.

Karen

Another thumbs up here I made it for dinner last night. I marinated it for about 10 hours and it was delicious. Served it with cantaloupe and raw zucchini (to lazy to cook it) and am looking forward to the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Tyra
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Thumbs up Yum!

I thought I posted a review on this, but must have been having a brain-lapse. This was delicious. It's very much like another recipe I have that uses fresh herbs and chicken breasts. I did use the chicken thighs, and my kids gobbled it right up. I will definitely make this again - in fact, I had extra thighs to use up, so I made up the marinade, vacuum-packed it up, and stuck it in the freezer for a ready-to-grill meal.
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

--Helen Keller

Can someone please post this recipe, I'm still without my mag.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Oreganata

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 5 lemons)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
    2 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs (about 8)
    cooking spray
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Combine first 4 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag; add chicken. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 3 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Place chicken in a single layer on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until chicken is done.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 thighs). 356 cal, 15.6g fat, 45g pro, 8g carb, 1g fiber, 188mg chol, 2.8mg iron, 342mg sod, 40mg calc.

Description:
    "This dish is flexible-marinate the chicken overnight, then bake it or
    pop it on the grill."
    Source:
    "Cooking Light-5/03"

Thank you Terry!!

I made this tonight (served w/Jewel's Garlicky Green Beans, baked onions, and mashed potatoes). I thought it was fine, but was thinking that I prefer the recipe below, which is from the most recent Joy of Cooking. I should say, though, that I just now noticed that the Oreganata recipe called for olive oil, which I somehow overlooked; I think it would have taken the edge off all that lemon juice! Oops.

1/4 cup strained fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1-2 tablespoons pressed (or very finely minced) garlic
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Makes enough for a good 3 lbs. of chicken

We had this tonight for dinner. I used chicken thighs and marinated them overnight. DH cooked them on the BBQ. Very yummy! We (the adults) really very pleased with the flavors, but DD complained that the lemon flavor was too strong for her.

Peggy

I didn't have enough time to bake...

so I grilled the chicken breasts(like Peggy) and they were delicious!! Used less oil also because of the chicken breasts, marinated over night. A repeat in our book!!
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

I made this last night too, we loved the marinade, I had to bake the chicken, next time we are definitely grilling them. Next time I also want to try fresh oregano as well.

I thought this was pretty good but will bake next time as my grill is high powered and even on medium-low it can char (dd10 hates this). I think this would be an excellent meal to freeze in marinade and will do that next time thighs are on sale. And yes, fresh oregano would rock and I'll use that next time too.

Laura

Originally posted by Peggy
    ...We (the adults) really very pleased with the flavors, but DD complained that the lemon flavor was too strong for her...
    Well, at least her mother can handle the four-ingredient recipe without leaving out 25% of 'em! (I even remember thinking, "Odd, I'd expect at least a little olive oil in the marinade...." ) Good thing she didn't have MY version of it

I made this recipe tonight. I used chicken breasts and grilled them rather than baking. It was really good. I marinated the chicken for about 3 hours. I can't imagine how strong the lemon would have been overnight! Everyone liked it, even my picky son! I was surprised. I served it with Broccoli Brown Rice Pilaf from "Light and Tasty". That was another big hit!
    Lynn

Question I was going to make this with fresh oregano

How much should I use?

I was guessing 1/2 tbl dry probably equals 2 tbl fresh?

thanks, Amy

Re: I was going to make this with fresh oregano

Originally posted by Spedley
    How much should I use?

I was guessing 1/2 tbl dry probably equals 2 tbl fresh?

thanks, Amy
    That's what I'd use. (I love oregano)
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

We just had this for dinner last night...delish!!! I used boneless skinless chicken breasts instead of the thighs this time, and they came out great. I will have to try it with fresh oregeno, though the Penzey's dried tastes pretty good!