Community Message Boards

Thread: Do you get what you pay for with beauty products

Hybrid View

Do you get what you pay for with beauty products

I must have been feeling vunerable today as I walked past the dreaded cosmetic area of our local department store (I usually skirt WAY around these areas as the salewomen scare the heck out of me! ). I actually glanced at the Estee Lauder counter and before I knew it I was talking to the woman! Anyway she almost talked me into buying a very pricey (at least to me) product to diminish a couple of age spots I have.
    I usually stick to the drugstore products but I actually found myself getting sucked into the alure of something kind of designer like.
    What do you all think? Do these highr price products work/feel any better? I think I know the answer but I'd love to hear if there is any product people pay more for but feel it is worth it.
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

Paula Begone(sp?) has a book out with a title something like "don't go to the cosmetic's counter without this book" or something like that.
    Her opinion is that you're paying tons of $$ for the advertising, perfumes and cutesy packages.

I admit I've bought a few of the pricier items, but I tend to stick with the drugstore stuff. If I don't like it, at least I don't feel like I've tossed a bunch of $$ out.

I'm trying to wean myself from my expensive perfume too
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I'm a Lancome user. I love the stuff and have for about 20 years. I believe I am getting what I pay for. I have dry skin and just love the way their products feel on my face.

I raed paula' B's books. Alot of people disagree with her opinions-just want to hear what REAL people think!
    You are right-you are paying for packaginf=g and the super model associated with the brand!
    I have never bought perfume-not even once. But I know alot of women love it. My spending weaknesses pretty well all have to do with cooking....
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

Guest Guest
    I don't use much make up or fragrance, but have bought some pricey face creams. I know all about the hype and marketing, but sometimes it feels good to make the trip to the cosmetic counter and have a bit of fun. In the scheme of things, it is a pretty cheap splurge. I probably spend more money on shampoo and conditioner than I do on cosmetics and treatments.

Maureen,
    first, I love your signature thingie

I admit that when I was in my 20's, I spent more than I do now (and had less to do it with ) thinking i'd keep eternal youth
    As I've gotten older, I have realized...IT DIDN"T HELP!!!! AAAACKCCKKK
    all that money, down the...well, where those cats are drinking
    I guess that's my reasoning to sticking with drugstore stuff.

FUnnybone, I know L'oreal and lancome are NOT the same, but they are somehow affiliated. I'm hoping my cheaper stuff is getting me some pricey benefits
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Thanks for your replies guys!
    I have never spent much on beauty products (believe me it shows!). If I only knew any of these would make a difference i break down and buy them i think the bottom line is I should have worn more sunscreen!

Nigella Lawson

Guest Guest
    L'Oreal owns the following brands:

L'Oreal
    Lancome
    Maybelline
    Biotherm
    Ralph Lauren
    Helena Rubinstein
    Garnier
    Matrix
    Giorgia Armani Perfumes
    Kiehl's
    Redken

and more.....

And here are the Estee Lauder brands -
    Este Lauder, Aramis, Clinique, Prescriptives, Origins, MAC, La Mer, Bobbi Brown, Tommy Hilfiger, jane, Donna Karan, Aveda, Stila, Jo Malone, Bumble and bumble, kate spade beauty and Laboratoires Darphin.

Don't look at me, I wear Chanel. Before that I wore Borghese. I have some Mary Kay, and I wear grocery store face powder. I have sensitive skin and I do have to be careful what I put on my face.

When I started wearing makeup I had a reaction to revlon, maybeline, etc so I started with the Borghese. The problems went away.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    In answer to the original question, yes, I think you do get what you pay for.

Admittedly there are companies out there that slap a huge price on cold cream and call it a miracle product and somehow make a bundle, but there are others which are truly committed to using high quality ingredients, and researching the effectiveness of their products.

If you have skin sensitivities, especially, it pays to read the labels on your makeup and skincare products.

I'm having a good time playing with color cosmetics from more 'professional' makeup lines (i.e, designed for makeup artists for use in photo shoots, theatrical, film and tv production.) but I find that more easily available commercial lines have better pre-blended colors (in eyeshadow, say, for an unusual color that works well with my skin tones right out of the pot.) If I don't want to work at blending the colors together myself, the commercial stuff is MUCH simpler. The theatrical makeup is fun, and MUCH cheaper, though, so it's a trade-off.

It's hard to know without trying things, that the quality from one line to the next for seemingly identical products at the same price, can vary so much, but if you don't watch out, you'll wind up with eyeshadow colors that won't apply smoothly or blend well, foundation that turns colors on your face, mascara that runs, conditioner that flattens your hair AND makes it tangle, lol!

Price alone is no guarantee of quality though.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think, as a major generalisation, more money doesn't mean better quality. A lot of what you're spending is for the pretty box, the pretty ads, the lovely slogan promising to make you look twenty years younger, the pretty model's face....

But it is a person by person, brand by brand thing. I make my own moisturiser (started when I was on steroids and my skin became sensitive to even the most "sensitive" of moisturisers - now I'm just used to making my own!), but I use a reasonably expensive face wash (because I like it and it stops my breakouts). For a toner I use witchhazel or neroli water, and currently I'm using straight rosehip oil for around my eyes. When I have a bit more cash I do like to buy eye gels, usually in a more expensive price range (but not the most expensive!), just because I have major paranoia about lines around my eyes!

But as for "basic" moisturisers - I really don't think they're worth all the extra money.

I used to buy the pricier "name" brands for years and felt that they did what they claimed to do. However, after reading several articles on the subject I just didn't want to pay for packaging. I do use Prescritives base and powder because I splurge and get them custom mixed at Nordstroms (used to do Macy's but they kept misplacing the formula when I would go to get a refill). The Prescriptives base color with the powder really works for my coloring.

I use the Anew products from Avon and really like the line of moisturizers. Lipsticks usually come from Prescriptives, L'oreal, Revelon or Clinique.

Does anyone else have the problem of trying lipstick colors in the stores under their lighting and then go out in day light or office light and wonder why you ever purchased that particular color?

Depending on Clinique's specials I will buy lipstick, eye shadow or liner. Usually stick to Maybelline or L'oreal for the mascara. If I got everything from the "designer" names it would cost a fortune.

I do wear perfume, but have only a few special ones. Most of them are too heavy and strong...my allergies act up. I like a light floral and of course what is great on one person can be totally opposite on another. I loved the fragrance of Lauren on a friend, but when I tried it....yuck. Body chemistry makes a big difference.

After being a profligate spendthrift most of my life I've gotten into a major frugality mode in the past year, really thinking about what I'm spending money on and whether the expense is necessary. This might be it guys, I might actually be growing up. Anyway, I've been using a lovely moisturizer that I figured out costs me $320 a year. That's just ONE beauty product! It's got a ridiculously ornate package that I know accounts for a hefty part of the $64 per unit price tag. The package not only offends me because of the contribution to the price but I keep imagining the discards in a landfill somewhere never breaking down, being a scourge on the Earth forever. I'm done using it. I can't justify the waste of money or despoiling of the environment plus which, I don't see an amazing difference in my skin over anything else I've used. If the only reason I'm using this is because it feels nice on my skin that's just not good enough. I think I'd do more for my skin by eating a healthy diet, drinking lots of water, exercising, using sunscreen...all that good stuff. I think I'm going to be searching out middle of the road alternatives. I do believe, to a certain extent you get what you pay for. Lancome may be using higher quality ingredients than Maybelline for example but, as far as beauty products go, there must come a point of diminishing returns where you're not getting THAT much more quality for your dollar.
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

There is a brand called Sonia Krushof (sp) that is a "professiona]\sold at Target. It has better quality ingredients without the flash. I really like her face powder.
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

I've got Paula's most recent edition of Don't Go To The Beauty Counter Without Me so if anyone needs me to look up any makeup, etc I'd be happy to. I bought it and have used it a bit, but it's almost a reference book so if I use it to help members of the BB I could justify the price

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

For the last 10 years, I have bought my cosmetics from a makeup artist in a cosmetics studio. My sister has been going to him for 20. He sells the private label stuff and they are much less than the what the department store sells. I'm not trying to be "chi chi foo foo" or anything, but I do feel that I get my money's worth when I go to him. He has models, beauty queens and commoners like my sister and me.

The advantage is that he works with us and tries out new colors and techniques that are flattering and the atmosphere is low key and no pressure like the department stores. The sales people remind me of a bunch of vultures. He runs sales periodically and sends promotions to come in and try the new colors of the season. I have never bought anything from him that hasn't worked and sits unused in a drawer.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Sometimes. My skin doesn't really like moisturizers, but dontcha know I finally found one that I love---not too heavy, not too light, doesn't make my skin itch or break out---and it's $35 a bottle! Ouch. I use Shesheido, btw. I love it, love the way it feels and smells. I don't feel like I'm being taken because I've tried so many diff't things and this is the only one I can stand. I figure I'm actually saving money (and sanity!) by buying it instead of experimenting with diff't brands.

As far as cleansers, I use a few diff't ones. In the winter, I go with Cetaphil. In the summer, I play around a little---right now I'm using the Olay cleaning cloth thingies.

Oh, and with makeup, I use all kinds. I love MAC, though, and it's really not terribly expensive.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge