Community Message Boards

Thread: What do you do with your broccoli stems??

What do you do with your broccoli stems??

I use to always throw mine out. Then I tried Molly Katzen recipe for stuffed Portobello mushrooms - she uses the broccoli stems. Now I always save them and usually make the mushrooms.

I've also tried slicing and sauteing them in olive oil and that is good, but I'm looking for something new and different.

What do you do?
    kim

"Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love." -Charlie Brown

Guest Guest
    I always cook them with the rest of the broccoli. The stems are my daughter's favorite part of the broccoli. If the stems are a bit tough, I peel the outer layer with a vegetable peeler and then cook with the rest of the broccoli, usually steamed, sauteed or stir fried.

That's actually the only part of broccoli I like! (I hate the furry parts!) I just chop them up and steam them like regular broccoli - could you just add them to the tops when you cook them?

I throw them in the compost bin
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Well, I only buy crowns and so most times I will use the part of the stem that's there if it's a cooked dish. Otherwise, they're in the bin!!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I usually buy broccoli crowns because I'd end up wasting the stems. When I do buy broccoli with stems, I either peel it and shred it to make broccoli coleslaw, or dice it and toss into stir fries.

Sometimes I just peel them and steam them along with the rest of the broccoli, but I also use them in salads. Just peel the stems and slice them like a cucumber or a zucchini and add them raw to any vegetable salad. They are pretty tender, and don't have a strong flavor, while they do add a nice crunch. You could also add them to stirfrys that way, but I like them in the salad, and that is the one way that DD will eat broccoli. (I think she thought they were cucumbers for a long time).
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Re: What do you do with your broccoli stems??

Originally posted by kimmurphy94
    Then I tried Molly Katzen recipe for stuffed Portobello mushrooms - she uses the broccoli stems.
    Yum! Could you share this recipe? I have 2 portobellos left and some broccoli.

Thanks. YP
    Adele

My Blog - http://passioknit.blogspot.com/

And to answer your question, although now I just usually buy the crowns, in the past, I just chopped them up and threw them in the with dish.
    Adele

My Blog - http://passioknit.blogspot.com/

I peel them, cut them up, and steam them (or whatever) along with the rest of the broccoli. Many stores, and farmers' markets too, are only selling the crowns now. I find that frustrating because I like the stems as well as the crown. Sometimes more--depends on my mood.

I, too, cook them along with the rest of the broccoli. They're also much better than the flowery parts in stir fries, because they don't fall apart or "shed" when they're tossed around.

I actually like the stems better than the crowns.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Up until 2 days ago, I always tossed them.
    I tried to peel and slice up and use them, and they're actually quite tasty.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I usually just buy the crowns too. I'm not a vegetable fan so a few years ago I vowed to try to add one vegetable to my diet a year. (Maybe that doesn't sound like a lot but if it's something you really hate it's a good goal!) So I eat broccoli tops (usually mixed with rice or potatoes or something!)now. I can't get through the stems. When I master another vegetable maybe I'll come back to broccoli stems!

I cook them for my dog.

i pickle them by first marinating with salt, then mixing in sugar, lemon, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, and a little drip of sesame sauce.
    simple, but refreshingly yummy

I peel and dice them, and toss them in the wok with chicken for stir-fry, and they are so excellent that way! Better than the crowns for that.
    Wendy

My cat will eat broccoli stems, but his first and real love is asparagus. He even has a special "asparagus cry". He gets confused with broccoli and uses his asparagus cry and is always disappointed when it is broc and not asparagus.

I love the stems, so I never let them go to waste. Usually I'll just cook them together, but if I just need to use the florets (for a recipe or something), I'll just eat the stems raw! Yum
    Kristin

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

I also prefer the stems to the flowery part Although sometimes they don't make it to the steamer because I eat them raw while making dinner

JeAnne
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

YP, I'll gladly post the recipe.

I'll try to do it later today, if that's okay.
    kim

"Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love." -Charlie Brown

Broccoli-Stuffed Mushrooms

In the original recipe, she asks you to first stir fry the florets in a little bit of olive oil and then "plant" them in the mushrooms before they go into the broiler. I never do this, because its always been more trouble than its worth. I don't really feel that it needs it either. They are so good on their own and make a perfect and filling side dish. I've omitted this step, but you can try it if you like!

1 1/2 pounds of broccoli
    1 small onion
    1 Tbs olive oil
    1/4 tea salt (or more to taste)
    1 1/2 cups grated gruyere or emmenthaler cheese (I've also used parmesano reggiano and it is also very good)
    Black pepper to taste
    4 portobello mushroms

Shave the outer skins from the broccoli stalks and cut into chunks with the onion, process in the food processor until finely minced.

Heat 1/2 Tbs oil in skillet with oven proof handle. Add salt and saute the broccoli-oniion mixture over med heat for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in 1 cup of the cheese.

Remove and discard mushroom stems. Scrape out the soft insides of the mushroom cap and divide the filling evenly among the mushrooms. Preheat broiler.

Wipe out the skillet and return it to the stove to med heat. Add 1/2 Tbs oil and place filled mushrooms in the pan, cover and cook undisturbed for about 10-15 minutes, or until the muschrooms are cooked through. Srpinkle remainng cheese over the tops and place the skillet under the broiler for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is thoroughly melted and lightly browned.
    kim

I cut them up and use with the rest of the broccoli.
    Leisa

I also had a cat who had a special asparagus cry. I'll try the broccoli and see if she likes the stems too.

Two cats with a special asparagus cry! I continue to be amazed and delighted by what I learn on this board.

Well, now, you knew SOMEONE was going to ask...

What makes an "aspargus cry" different from a regular one????

Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."