Community Message Boards

Thread: School lunchbox: What can I make besides sandwhiches?

Post School lunchbox: What can I make besides sandwhiches?

My 9 year old is sick to death of sandwhiches and will bring them back uneaten. Any one got any great ideas for what to put in the lunchbox instead?

Jodi Guest

How about soups in a thermos? If he or she isn't opposed to leftovers that don't need to be reheated, that's an option (I'm thinking of a piece of fried chicken or pasta salad or something alone those lines).

I used to complain about the same thing, and one thing my mom sometimes did was a variation: She'd pack tuna, chicken salad, egg salad, etc. in a container with crackers or pita bread so that I could spread it myself. Same stuff that I'd get on my sandwiches, but it was fun to assemble it myself.

Good luck!

My daughter likes to get pasta, but they have a microwave there to reheat stuff. I always like to take tortillas and put PBJ on them, or cheese and ham, etc. Basically, the same stuff she'd get on bread, but it's "cool" because it's rolled up on a tortilla and sliced!

a couple more ideas:
    -yogurt with trail mix or fresh fruit to dip in the yogurt
    -veggies with dip
    -cheese & crackers
    -mixed nuts
    -muffins (tiny ones are fun!)
    -bagels with cream cheese or other topping to spread on

[This message has been edited by Susan (edited 01-02-2001).]

My daughter isn't a sandwich girl - so, some of the things she likes in her lunch box are:

Deviled Eggs: (I wrap two halves together in colored cellophane/ holiday print wrap)

A sausage pop - a big slice of summer sausage (like Hickory Farms) that I put a flat tongue depressor type stick into and wrap in plastic.

Ham or turkey slices spread with cream cheese and rolled up. Salami too, or pepperoni.

Veggies and hummus and pita.

Sometimes having a special note or card makes the whole lunch taste better too!

Happy lunch packing!

Susan

I can identify with this topic! It really irks me when the kids ask me to make them a lunch, rather than buying the school's hot lunch, and then bring it home uneaten. Why is it that they tell me they weren't hungry so they didn't eat their sandwich, but, the chips are always gone?! I'll have to try some of the ideas here. My kids seem to like beef sticks/summer sausages. I've packed peanuts and fruit and/or yogurt for camp. Peanuts are full of protein and probably more fun to munch on than a sandwich.

Cool

I agree with Jodi: If you have a wide-mouth thermos, you can pack hot soup or chili, with accompanying "crispy" breads like pita chips or bagel chips. Or how about cutting up the leftover fried (or broiled? roasted?) chicken into "fingers," with accompanying dips in little containers?

Two or three different salads -- tuna, macaroni, tabouleh, etc. -- in their own containers, with accompanying fancy breads?

What's the real problem with the sandwich? If it's just that it seems too dull, maybe it's the bread rather than the filling. Would pitas, lavash, matzoh, tortillas, party rye (those teensy little slices), or some other off-beat kind of bread help?

Let us know what works; this is like a mystery story!

Cheers,
    Phoebe

[This message has been edited by Ohioan (edited 01-02-2001).]

My son loves pizza or mac and cheese leftover (and happily eats them at room temperature). CHeese & crackers and yogurt are also usually successful. Great thread - I am getting lots of new ideas.

My kids are in 7th and 5th grade and take their lunches everyday (I can probably count on one hand how many times between both of them they've bought school lunch) any way I know how hard it can be to come up with creative ideas to make lunch fun.

How about cheese crisps, you can make it, wrap it in foil and will keep fairly warm or put it in a thermos to keep warm. Cook hotdogs and place them in a thermos to keep warm, send little packets of ketchup or mustard. How about beans in a thermos. How about salad, my friends son has one of those lunchboxes with the hard zip around bottom for keeping sanwiches safe, and she puts salad in that section and sends a small container of dressing, he unzips the bottom and dresses his salad and eats, you could add sliced meats to it as well, (chicken, ham, cheese). what about fruit salad with dip.
    we like to do left over breakfast muffins, and bagels with cream cheese.

Hope some of these helps, good luck. Ann