Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Years Goals?

Post New Years Goals?

I refuse to title this New Year's Resolutions because as soon as I "resolve" to do something, I am sure to end up not doing it. Yes, I have the standards, be more diligent in exercise, eat better, but I also have ones that are not the standards that I thought I might try.

Read one classic every other month. I love to read, but I think I missed many of the classics in high school and college. I am starting out with Jane Austen's Emma for January and see what happens in March. I am open to suggestions.

Organize my photos into albums (although I given up on doing the detailed scrapbooking, I do want the photos to be places where people can enjoy them)

Master rollerblading. My kids love to rollerblade and I am a complete geek. I know it is a great form of exercise and a way to exercise with my kids so I am going to take lessons.

Cut my time in my next triathlon by 5 minutes. That may seem like a lot to some of you but I only gave myself about 2 months to get ready last time and this time I am starting well in advance.

I would love to hear from the rest of you. Maybe you don't have any, sometimes I think that is the way to go. But this year I am giving these 4 a try. Have a wonderful New Year everyone!

You know, I don't often make New Year's resolutions...I suppose I've always felt like the entire year should be spent on goals, not just one turning point of the year. Oddly enough, though, I always give up something for Lent. I suppose the religious bent gives it more meaning more to me...but this year, I have one...I vow to get a job that I love and move to a really cool place (in my book, that's Boulder, Boston or the Pacific Northwest Yes, I have those idealized visions of the "perfect" place to live )

I no longer have any romantic attachments tying me to Atlanta so I'm gonna get the %&#* out of here like I've wanted to for years now (If anyone knows of any journalism jobs, don't hesitate to let me know )!

Laura, Emma is a great choice! I love Jane Austen so much!! I wrote probably 5 papers on her works in highschool and college, and I love her novels...I would suggest following up Emma with another Austen. Northanger Abbey is wonderful. Probably my favorite. And I love Hardy, as well. Jude the Obscure is incredible...I cried. And this one isn't a classic, but the most phenomenal book I've ever read...Memoirs of a Geisha...the writing is captivating and utterly alluring...I absolutely could not put the book down.

And good luck with your triathlon -- 5 minutes is significant, but definately doable; with good training, I'm sure you can do it easily. Good luck! (By the way, I envy your determination with the Rollerblades...I hate those things!)

Emily

[This message has been edited by emilycat (edited 12-27-2000).]

Cool

Great thread Laura! Now I want to read the classics too! And best of luck to EmilyCat in your dreams to go west or to the NE! That sounds divine. I am in Atlanta and dying to leave however it is not that easy with a husband and we both have good jobs here

Goals(great wording!):
    1. Read more.
    2. Work out 4 times a week no matter what and doing some kind of activity.
    3. Get pregnant sometime in the first 2 quarters.
    4. Retrain my brain to have more peace and to no longer try to solve the words problems.
    5. Meet new folks with more in common with my husband and myself. (house, family, common old fashioned goals)

Best of Luck in 2001 to you all

Christine Wagner

[This message has been edited by christinew (edited 12-27-2000).]

Emily,

If you come o Boston we have a wonderful dinner group you can join! I'm reading "Memoirs of a Geisha" now. Haven't had much time to read lately! Have you read anything by Anita Shreve? She wrote "The Pilot's Wife." I want to read everyting she's written!

Laura, I want to rollerblade, too. I know it's a great workout and something I can do with the kids. Do I need to get expensive rollerblades?

I've given up on resolutions. I always think a new year will bring good changes into our lives, i.e. new job for me, new friends, continuing to work out, etc. I'm thinking positively!

Lauren

Okay, no goals but I wanted to respond to rollerblading. I just love it. I take them on every trip, wherever I go and I will tell you, it's TERRIFIC exercise.

Also, I too read "Memoirs of a Geisha" and found it utterly compelling and a bit disturbing.

Emily-

Thanks for the literary suggestions. I read Memoirs of a Geisha earlier this year and loved it. I heard it was being made into a film. I am not quite sure how I feel about that. I don't know that a film could capture the emotion expressed in the book.

let's see..my goals are to learn to snowboard (i went up to Vermont over the weekend, tried it and loved it!!), pay my bills as soon as I get them (rather than right before they are due) and get started on a running program - hard right now, I live in chilly Boston (bbbbrrrr)and will need to stock up on my warm woolies!
    Emily- Boston is a great city...I love it here.
    to add to the book discussion - I am reading Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund (a take off on the one paragraph in Moby Dick about the young wife of Captain Ahab) and while it is an interesting book, there is a lot of inserted political propaganda that doesn't realy add to the flavor of the story, develop the characters or plot.

I too love the word "goal". Hopefully it will make them much easier to achieve! Mine are - in addition to the basics, eat well, exercise more, etc:

1. Work more (I freelance at home and it's very easy to get sidetracked!)
    2. Find someplace to volunteer my time.
    3. Have friends over more.
    4. Organize my files, clean out my closets! (those I need to do ASAP!).

On the reading note - I too read "Memoirs of a Geisha" and while I really enjoyed it, I was disappointed in the ending. My book club has read some great books recently:
    "Sister of My Heart" by Chitra Bannerjee Divakaruni and "Chocolat" by Joanne Harris (there's a movie out right now). We're reading "Wicked" now - the true story of the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz. It's fascinating! For classics, may I recommend Virginia Wolfe's "Mrs Dalloway". Don't know if she's old enough to be considered a classic, but it's a great read. Then follow up with Michael Cunningham's "The Hours" which won the Pulitzer and is about the book "Mrs. Dalloway".

OK - I could go on and on. Happy New Year!

[This message has been edited by LSB (edited 12-28-2000).]

To add to classics, I suggest The Odyssey, A Tale of Two Cities and Odepous the King..the latter two are actually fairly easy reads...favs of mine from high school.

I just want to be healthier in the new year. My cholestrol was 280 when tested in August, which scared me. We eat fairly healthy, exercise fairly regularly and my father died suddenly at age 50. All those things make me want to figure out how to lower the cholesterol and be even healthier!

Kim

So, goals! Sounds much easier than resolutions, I agree.

I'm ready for a personal overhaul. I've been trying to diet forever, with little success, and was then diagnosed with a stomach ailment that may have been preventing my success! My goal is to stick to my prescribed regime until I am well, and weigh less. (Cooking Light helps.) I have to get back to my dance classes too.

I also want to read some of the classics I missed out on, and will probably start with the Great Gatsby (I think there is also a mini-series coming up).

I also hope to find a profession that is not just a job - this may be the impossible one. I just switched jobs, and am having my doubts.

Not too ambitious, huh?

Good luck to everyone with their goals...

I've been really thinking about this recently, not so much about New Year's resolutions but about what I want to do to make myself a happier person.

My number one priority is to start eating well and working out. I don't know if I've told you this, but I had very bad liver problems at the beginning of last year, due to a reaction to some medication. There wasn't any lasting effect on my liver (yay--I can still drink wine ), but I wasn't able to really eat much or exercise for about six months. Because of this, I was on a high carb, low protein diet for a while, and my eating habits have gone down the tube. I also lost almost all of my muscle tone and flexibility because of being inactive. In the New Year I want to become truly healthy again--doing lots of physical activity and eating a diet full of fresh veggies and good proteins.

I also want to spend more time devoted to things that I really want to spend my life on, not on my job. Don't get me wrong--it's not a bad job, but it is nothing that I want to do for an extended period of time. It really was a cash job for me, and I want to get back to making money doing things that I love and that makes me feel alive.

I also want to eat out more, to take advantage of the city I live in, to go on one really nice vacation and move to a bigger apartment.

As for classics, I love very old texts--such as Sophocles' Oedipus Cycle, the Illiad and any Shakespeare. I'd also reccomend Oscar Wilde and Bernard Shaw, for those who like plays. Recently I've been reading books like "On Writing Short Fiction" by Damon Knight, which is probably completely dull and boring if you're not a fiction writer

I hope this post doesn't sound whiny--it was not intended in that light. and I'm sorry it was so long!

[This message has been edited by venus (edited 12-28-2000).]

Goals - there are so many possibilities. I would like to be sure to read to my family every night. Somehow that has been sliding these last few months and we all miss that time together. I would like to find half an hour or so every day for quiet time for myself, even if I have to get up earlier to do it. More exercise, less eating. I too would like to learn roller blading and also skate-skiing. I would also like to become more appreciative of the nice things people do, and to express that appreciation to them.

I agree with Emily that goals should be a year-long pursuit rather than a once-a-year promise.

This is the year I run my first marathon.

Laura, Emma is my favorite Jane Austen novel so far. I've been intending to read Sense and Sensibility for some time; maybe now would be a good time. You've inspired me. I also loved Memoirs of a Geisha, but I have a rule that I can't see a movie if I've read the book (or vice versa). I can't imagine that I would enjoy a movie version.

Good luck to everyone with your goals. I hope we all enjoy the process of achieving them as much as the end result!

Wow! What great ideas for goals you all have. This year, my goals include cleaning out my closets and installing organizers(so I can fit more stuff in them!),reducing the amount of diet soda I drink, making new friends and strengthening existing friendships. After hearing all these book reviews, I think I'll have to add a few books to my list. Happy New Year!

CathyS

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LSB:

We're reading "Wicked" now - the true story of the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz.

LSB, who is the author of this book? It does sound interesting!

"Wicked" is by Gregory Maquire. I'm a Wizard of Oz fanatic so this is really enjoyable to me! He also wrote "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" - the story of one of Cinderella's nemeses. I haven't read that one yet, but I bought it and it looks interesting.

Okay, I haven't set any goals (except for naming our baby!!), but I am an avid reader and I second the Jane Austen books. I read one and now I can't seem to stop! I also love the movie Pride and Prejudice. I catch it on A&E every so often. I'd love to see the whole thing sometime. For some reason, around the holidays I always want to read classics. Inevitably, since I read so much, I get a gift certificate to a book store for Christmas. I racked up $75 in gift certificates for Barnes and Noble this year!

I also agree with A Tale of Two Cities. Another one of my personal favorites is Les Miserables. I would've been lost when I saw the play if I didn't read the book first! I also love John Irving books. They can be slow reading, but I have read all of them and it always seemed worth the effort in the end. I liked his last book "A Widow For One Year". He has been compared to Dickens, who I also like. Great Expectations was a good story. I was so excited to see that supposedly Peter Straub and Stephen King are working on a sequel to The Talisman.

I will now have to read Memoirs of a Geisha since everyone else has read it. I learn something new on this BB everyday.

[This message has been edited by MrsReber (edited 12-28-2000).]

Smile

Hi All,
    I'm a newcomer to the BBs at CL and already I'm hooked! I feel like I've just found a bunch of new friends who love the same things I do-- cooking and baking, reading, getting their magazines in the mail!
    As far as resolutions, I honestly hadn't come up with anything specific yet. More regular exercising is a standard one for me. I am also hoping to try to start to cultivate a side career as a freelance writer. I was an English major in college and while my first job out of school involved some writing, almost seven years later, here I am in the business world-- who would have guessed?! I enjoy my job but I do miss writing. I've already registered for some adult ed courses at the local Community College to try to "brush up" on my skills.
    I got married in September and when my husband and I attended pre-cana this past March, one of the couples talked about setting goals together-- they each set individual goals and a joint goals-- relating to career, finances and "personal." We thought it sounded like a nice idea and also something great to record over the years.
    Look forward to getting to know you all better in the new year!

Goals . . . so many to name, so little time. I for one (yes, I realize this is ambitious) would like to end 2001 with washboard abs. I do 75-100 crunches a day as it is but I'm afraid my bod was simply not built to wear Jennifer Love Hewitt outfits. Wish me luck . . .

I also would like to study less (law school stinks) and convince myself to go out more/spend more time with my SO. I am also a competitive rider so I have lots of goals in regards to that. Probably most importantly, however, I would like to find an ideal volunteer situation, where I actually felt like I "fit" and did not feel more in the way rather than helpful. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

To add to the book discussion, I loooooove Faulkner; I did a semester in England and took a Faulkner class and it was HYSTERICAL to see how the English students viewed us "crazy ole southerners" after this class. Many of them asked me if most of my relatives had been in jail!

I still have two more days to formulate my New Years Goals, but I wanted to offer a suggestion to those of you who want to exercise and to read more. Although I've run and walked for years and years, it was only after I retired in '97 that I had more time to spend walking. I now walk 6-7 miles a day 5-6 days a week. And I listen to books on tape during my walks. I've listened to many of the classics including Emma, Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, etc. as well as best sellers and, of course, all of Oprah's books--about one book a week. My local library has an excellent collection. One of my favorite best seller books is The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. It was fabulous on tape--the narrator was exceptional. I'm now reading Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer from hard copy. Okay, now I will think seriously about my goals, one of which will be to finally finish compiling my family cookbook that I started a couple of years ago.
    Karen

[This message has been edited by Karen from VA (edited 12-29-2000).]

Cool

I must add to Karen from VA's comments about books-on-tape. I am the kind of person that is always overbooked. Between family, work, school (I'm currently working on my Masters), and of course Cooking , I rarely have a moment to call my own. I love to read and last year I made it my resolution to read more, especially the classics. I started getting books-on-tape from the library (I only get the unabridged) and listened while in the car, or with my walk-man while exercising, doing housework or gardening. I have made incredible progress on my reading list.

Favorites from this Year:
    Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma
    Charles Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations, David Copperfield
    John Irving - The World According to Garp, A Widow for one Year
    Nathaniel Hawthorne - The House of Seven Gables, The Scarlett Letter
    Amy Tan - The Joy Luck Club, One Hundred Secret Senses, The Kitchen God's Wife
    Charlotte Bronte- Jane Erye
    Emily Bronte - Wuthering Heights
    Frank McCourt - Angela's Ashes, 'Tis
    Misc. - Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Memoirs of a Geisha, Lilian Jackson Braun - "The Cat Who"...Series, Into Thin Air, Into the Wild, The Partner.

This past year, I also joined a Book of the Month Club so I actually have to read a book a month for the discussion group. Recently we have enjoyed The Poisonwood Bible and Midwifes. It can be hard to fit it in each month, but well worth it. Besides, if I have a deadline I will meet it!

Those of you that are busy should give the unabridged books-on-tape a try. You can enjoy great literature without having to find the time to sit down and actually read the book yourself.

Peggy

[This message has been edited by Peggy (edited 12-30-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Peggy (edited 12-30-2000).]

I echo Peggy's recommendation that you should be sure to get the unabridged tapes. I should also add that I got hooked on all of Daphne DuMaurier's books, Rebecca probably being the best known. The narrators with English accents really make those books come to life. I've also enjoyed several of Anne Rivers Siddon's books and am now listening to David Balducci's books just for a change of pace.
    Karen

Great discussion! Here are my goals for 2001:

1 - maintain my weight loss
    2 - keep up my workouts and see if I can get a little fitter - especially the lower abdominal area which seems to have a mind of its own
    3 - find more interesting methods of preparing tofu
    4 - Try to increase my jog/sprint intervals on the treadmill
    5 - Get 3 college courses completed by 2002
    6 - Become really involved in the new yoga studio I'm joining Jan. 2 and perhaps look into becoming an instructor

I belong to a book club - some great books we read this past year include:

"The Tragedy of the WhaleShip Essex" by Nathanial Philbrick
    "Anne Frank Remembered" by Miep Gies, the woman who hid the Frank family
    "A Map of the World" and "Tuesdays with Morrie" (forget authors)

On the classics hit list, I recommend "Of Human Bondage" by Somerset Maugham; "Mutiny on the Bounty"; anthing by the Bronte sisters and Dickens; anything by Steinbeck and Eugene O'Neill. On my Goals to Read list - I want to read more James Joyce. I learned about him in an English Lit class last fall and I thought his writing was just lovely. Same for Willa Cather whom I had never read before the class, but enjoyed greatly.

Happy 2001 to all of you!

Wink

Thank you all for a wonderful list of books to read/reread! For five years I loved books on tape for my daily commute (1-1 1/2 hours one way). The wonderful ladies at the local library kept me in mind when they set aside the new tapes for me, they were truly angels! Anyway, I plan to download this whole thread and start reading away! We barely got any snow, hope Abby is comfortable at her mom's house and home soon! But sure wished we had gotten more snow...

Let me just say that I am not a loser because I am writing at 9pm on New Year's Eve. We were invited to no less than 6 events for tonight, but as DH has his jaw wired shut since surgery last week we are home, having soup.

I am waaaay to goal oriented so I just set a simple "idea" to learn (?) how to relax about all the crap that I get worked up about.

Speaking of books - I love Memoirs of a Geisha. I actually sewed myself a kimono-type robe afterwards (Which I got worked up about in the process!)
    I have read all Jane Austen's novels, even her letters to her sister. I have a copy of A&E's Pride and Prejudice. I watch it as therapy.
    Don't go thinking I am some high falutin' literary person, I have been on a medical thriller binge lately.

If you like Jane Austen you should read Bridget Jones Diary. Not exactly a classic, but fun and Austen-esq in the end. And please read it before you see the movie, the actress who will play Bridget is all wrong, in my opinion it should have been Toni Collette.

I hope everyone is having a Happy and SAFE New Year!
    Lisa

Let's see, my goals for this year...

1. Enroll in school again, even if it's just one or two summer session classes(my DH is completing his Master's in May and I've put off getting mine so that we wouldn't starve to death in the pursuit of higher learning).
    2. Take my husband to Ireland.
    3. Not get pregnant. Not sure if this is a goal or not...
    4. Teach my father that light cooking is easier than he thinks (or at least feed him once a week-my mom dosn't cook and they go out to eat for almost every meal. I worry so much about his health).

I just reached one of my really big goals last night, and that was to quit my horrible, horrible job as a waitress. Last night was my last night. Ever.

Emilycat, I think giving up something for Lent is so much easier than New Year's stuff, too. Last year I gave up french fries-I almost never eat them anymore at all now, either.
    Good luck to everyone in the new year.

Originally posted by LSB:

We're reading "Wicked" now - the true story of the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz. It's fascinating! For classics, may I recommend Virginia Wolfe's "Mrs Dalloway". Don't know if she's old enough to be considered a classic, but it's a great read. Then follow up with Michael Cunningham's "The Hours" which won the Pulitzer and is about the book "Mrs. Dalloway".

[/B]
    i didn't know that about Mrs. Dalloway (re: The Hours)! I love that book, it's great I also enjoyed "Wicked" tremendously..as you said, fascinating. I read all of the time, all kinds of things. Right now I'm working my way through Caleb Carr's newest "Killing Time" very interesting, but I'm also a huge fan of his writing. Hoping to get Margaret Atwood's latest "Blind Assassin" soon..I really love her writing.

One of my all time favorite contemporary books is Pull of the Moon by Elizabeth Berg..an excellent book for reading discussion groups. I, too, could go on and on..lol, don't get me started!

My goals for the new year:

1) Commit to finding time each day to work on my fiction writing.

2) Get involved with Yoga regularly, 3 times a week.

3) Be brave enough to attend at least one of the local writer's group meetings here, and take one of my stories!

4) Find at least one positive thing to be thankful for each night before I lie down to sleep and carry it with me for when times are tough.

~las

I have only one "goal" so far...
    To NOT get on the CL BB until after I get home from work, so that hopefully I can keep my job that buys all the kitchen goodies! I am so addicted to this board that I read it when I shouldn't...!
    You all have inspired me to work on some more substantial goals however. I love the idea of books on tape while working out, that hits three of my weak points, exercise, reading and time management!
    I also am interested in the idea of a book club, does anyone know if there are any online bookclubs?
    Good luck to everyone on their goals and Happy New Year!

I have several goals for this year. Earlier this year, I told my husband I wanted to learn to play golf, as my father was an avid golfer, and I could play with him. Well, he passed away suddenly this fall, and so now I am committed to learn to play anyway. He would be happy to see me enjoying what he loved. I also want to participate in a 10K that is held here on Memorial Day. Whether I run it or walk it, I just want to do it. I also plan to keep searching for a job that will be more enjoyable. Lastly, since my daughter will be entering kindergarten this fall, and loves books, I want to continue her love of books by visiting our library as much as possible, and also expose her to plays, etc. When I was little, my parents always took me to operas and such, and now I can look back and truly appreciate being exposed to those sorts of things.

Goals:
    1. Work out 3x week
    2. More disciplined at work
    3. Daily am bible study
    4. Regular volunteer work/visits. It's so easy to let that slide

Laura, I love your name. I really enjoyed "Pride and Prejudice".

"Memoirs of a Geisha"-the UNADBRIDGED AUDIO is amazing. I almost can't imagine reading it because the narration was incredible. 17 hour round trip car ride.

Emilycat-good for you! There's no reason not to live somewhere that fills your heart with joy and wonder. I always dreamed of Manhattan, but I think Atlanta may be it now (family, house, etc. too precious)