Community Message Boards

Thread: Is my Miracle Whip spoiled?

Is my Miracle Whip spoiled?

I know Miracle Whip or any kind of mayonnaise-type product needs to be refrigerated. I went to pull what I thought was a brand-new jar of Miracle Whip Free out of the pantry and discovered it had been opened (I'm sure by DH) and put back in the pantry rather than the fridge. I think he must have done it a couple days ago when he made himself a sandwich. My question is -- should I throw the entire jar away? Or will it be okay? The temp here has been in the 70's, so not super-hot. If this were regular mayo, I know it has eggs, and I wouldn't risk it. The Miracle Whip ingredients say it has less than 2% egg yolks and cream, both of which I'd worry about spoiling. The MW doesn't smell bad, so I'm wondering what to do. Thoughts?

Becky

I have had food poisoning before, so I would most definitely throw it away. I'd much rather pay an extra couple of dollars to replace the jar than to get really sick from it. Maybe somebody else has more experience or know-how about Miracle Whip than me!

I think I remember opening my jar once to see the Miracle Whip looking all curdled. We never left the jar out and it smelled fine, but we threw it away.

Good luck!
    Emily

Emily -- thanks for your response. I was leaning toward throwing it out, but I was sorta hoping someone would tell me that Miracle Whip is different from mayo, and it would be okay. I hate to throw away a brand new jar, but I wouldn't want to risk anyone getting sick! I'll definitely wait until DH gets home though, so he can see what happens when the Miracle Whip isn't put away in the right place! I don't know what he was thinking!

Becky

I hope somebody here on this board can give you the answer you want to hear, but I certainly would not use it.
    The road to someday leads to nowhere.

Years ago I was on a 5 week camping trip. We only had coolers...and we DID NOT have space for any of the condiments in them. We (13 kids, 2 counselers) stayed healthy eating all those foods that say "refrigerate after opening" that weren't even kept at room temperature.

But, if you are worried, I would throw it out. A few days shouldn't make that much difference.

Tyra
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

I'd definitely toss it...if you did get sick from it, chances are you'd be thinking "I worried about saving 3 bucks - for this misery???"

My MIL got really sick from making and eating a sandwich with MW that had been in her powerless fridge for a week. She thinks it was a stomach virus, since it lasted so long, but we all think that was a very risky thing to eat.

"When in doubt, toss it out!"

Miracle Whip is so processed it probably has the shelf life of a Twinkie (comparable to that of toxic waste)! Having said that, I'd still throw it out. Can't be too careful about such things.
    Work is the ruin of the drinking classes.

I would dump it becausse it isn't worth the possibility of being ill.Years ago DH DD and I all got food poisoning from salad dressing. The only one who wasn't ill was babyDD because she was to young to eat salad. Buy a fresh jar, and remind DH to refrigerate after opening!

Vicky