Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! Add-in's to (mix) angel food cake???

Question Help! Add-in's to (mix) angel food cake???

I was preparing to make a recipe from a recent Prevention magazine, which was a Cake Doctor Strawberry Applesauce Bundt Cake. This is for dinner tomorrow (Sunday). When I went into the pantry to get the cake mix, which I thought to be a white cake mix (which the recipe specifies) it was actually an angel food cake mix! I don't have time to go to the grocery store between now and tomorrow, so I need to ask the question-- What can I stir in to the angel food cake batter and still have it rise nice and high? I suppose that I could add some chopped strawberries if I drain them a bit on paper towels, but would it be possible to puree some berries and use it for, maybe, a quarter of the water that is called for? Has anyone tried this before?

Again, (beating myself on the thead), check the recipe against the pantry contents before going to the store!!!!
    rrrrr

I'd appreciate advice, if there is any to share...
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Hi Victoria,
    I haven't tried this myself, but my new issue of BHG has a recipe for Angel Food cupcakes that have chopped berries in them. The recipe calls for 1 cup of chopped berries, and the instructions say to fill the tins half full of batter, layer on berries, then top with the remaining batter. Maybe you could try this technique with your cake mix and a regular sized pan?
    Amy

Another thing you could do is to bake the cake regularly. When it is dne, you can cut it in half, put straberries in the middle and put strawberries on top. If you have some whipped cream, it would hold the strawberries together. The strawberry juice can drip down the sides of the angel cake.

If you chop the strawberries real small, you can probably incorporate them into the batter, but personally, I wouldn't chance it.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone used a boxed mix for angel food cake before with success? Seems as simple as simple could be, right? I tried this for the first time the other day, and loved the idea that all you had to add was water and it didn't have any hydrogenated vegetable oil--sounded much easier than trying to whip up egg whites, and it was surprising and fun to watch the mix get all frothy when I added the water. I thought it would be interesting to make mini-bundt cakes using the mix, because I thought they would look cute with berries in the center, with some lime curd...in any case, the whole thing was a BAD idea! I don't know if I overbaked them, but it was nearly impossible to get them out of the tins (which were non-stick, and the box instructions said not to grease them, so I didn't), and was a HUGE mess to clean up! What did I do wrong? Does this not work well with small tins?
    (Sorry Victoria, I have no advice about your add-ins, since I cannot even manage to make the cake by itself!)

Vicci, just wondering what you ended up doing and what the results were.
    Dianne

Cindy - I have used boxed angel food mixes many many times (easier that separating all those eggs!) with very few problems. However, add-ins to any angel food cake are tricky, and I am rarely brave enough to try. Did you turn the pans upside down after you baked them? You do need to flip them, usually over a bottle or the like, while they cool.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Cindy,
    I only ever use boxes angel food cake mixes. For some reason, making them from scratch produces less desirable results than a mix does! You're not supposed to grease the pan because batter needs to have an ungreased pan to "climb" up (for lack of a better description-- this makes the batter seem alive!!!). Try it with a regular sized tube pan the next time.

Dianne,
    I clicked into "desperation mode" and came up with a recipe that turned out to be incredibly easy. I'll post it separately since I think that more people will read it that way.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I was close to making the BH&G cupcakes with berries, but did my "experiment" instead. And it was a big hit!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

I'm a bit late here. I love angel food cake and make quite a few of them each year- mix only. I refuse to use 12 egg whites! What would I do with those yolks? Anyway, my MIL makes plain angel food cake and then she'll frost it using a can of bluberry filling (comstock or the like) folded into whipping cream. It's really pretty and quite tasty. I have also put cherries into the mix. They work nicely and it's quite tasty. I think strawberries would work, too.
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?