Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO Recipes to Freeze and take to New Mom

Question ISO Recipes to Freeze and take to New Mom

A friend of mine is having her third child via C Section this Friday. I'd really like to make some one dish wonders, the kind that you can pair with bread and salad and be done with it, to make and put in her freezer so she can just pull them out and cook them. She's one of those people who like to have the full meal on the table for her family, God Bless her, she's not one to take the easy road with frozen pizza or mac n' cheese. Also any soup recipes for lunches, she loves soup and as she'll be at home for the next three months with her three kids, I'd like to give her some good healthy energy giving foods to heat and eat. She's formula feeding so spicy isn't an issue. I haven't made any of the recipes from the CL issue that had them (can't think which one that was at the moment)so if anyone HAS made any and any of them are particularly good, let me know, since I already have those recipes (around here somewhere anyhoo) Thanks in advance for your help!
    "A torn jacket is soon mended, but harsh words wound the heart of a child." Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

CHICKEN TORTILLA BAKE

Serves: 6

Ingredients:
    4 c. shredded or diced cooked chicken
    2 cans (4 oz. each) chopped green chilies
    1 c. chicken broth
    1 can (10-3/4 oz.) cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
    1 can (10-3/4 oz.) cream of chicken soup, undiluted
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    12 corn tortillas
    3 c. shredded mild cheddar cheese, divided

Instructions:
    In a bowl, combine the chicken, chilies, broth, soups & onion; set aside.
    Warm tortillas in the microwave according to package directions.
    Layer half of the tortillas on the bottom of a greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking pan, cutting to fit pan if desired.
    Top with half of the chicken mixture and half of the cheese.
    Repeat layers.
    Bake, uncovered at 350 for 30 min.

Here's about the only one I can think of off the top of my head...sorry, I'm a vegetarian!! I am not sure about how well this would freeze, either. Hmmm, some help I am! I can say that my family loves it...it reminds my mom of the chicken chimichangas they used to serve at Pedro's before the health department shut them down!

I REALLY just wanted to say "Hi" to someone from my hometown!! But I didn't want to ignore your request either...so I tried. The only other thing I can think of would be to make them some lasanga, which freezes pretty well. If I think of anything else, I'll post!
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Another idea is Lindrusso's Magnificent Marinara. This freezes extremely well and is really versatile. I have used it just on pasta, as the sauce with stuffed shells, in lasagna, etc.

Here it is:

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 tablespoon sugar
    3-4 medium onions, chopped
    1/2 cup cup dry red wine
    6 cloves garlic, crushed with the blade of a knife
    3 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes (or 2 28-ounce cans crushed and 2 14-ounce cans diced if you want a bit more chunkiness)
    2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
    2 teaspoons oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    1/2 teaspoon marjoram
    pinch of crushed red pepper or more to taste
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Heat oil in a Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add chopped onions and 1 tablespoon sugar. Saut onions for 30-45 minutes, or until sweet and caramelized. As the pan dries while onions are cooking, add red wine as needed. Once onions are done, continue to add the rest of the ingredients. Stir until well-combined. Simmer over low heat for 4-6 hours (you can simmer for less, but I would simmer for at least 1-2 hours). Stir often to keep the sauce from burning or getting overcooked. Makes about 9 cups of sauce.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Erin's tortilla bake sounds really yummy, but I don't think it'd freeze well with the cream soups. Those tend to get really watery. With the corn tortillas and watery soup, that wouldn't be a pretty picture! A friend baked something similiar to this for me and froze it; it was one of the nastier things I've ever had!

There have been a lot of posts about freezing meals, you may want to do a search and see what it comes up with! I agree with Lindrusso's marinara, I have made it and froze it and it just as good, if not better after being frozen. You can do so much with that recipe too!

What a GREAT friend you are to do this for her!!! Since I just had my 3rd child in March I can't stress how much help this is to a mom with a newborn!

RE: SOUPS
    This is my all-time favorite soup (and it's a CL recipe!): Bree's Tomato Lentil Soup. It freezes well too. I like to leave it chunky (recipe says to process in food processor) but it's great as written. Here's the recipe so you don't have to search for it.

Bree's Lentil Tomato Soup
    Cooking Light, Sept, 2001

1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 cups chopped onion
    1 teaspoon groung tumeric
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    3 1/3 cups water
    2 1/3 cups dried lentils (RED!)
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I omitted this.)
    3 (14 1/2-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    Chopped fresh tomatoes (optional)
    Cilantro sprig (optional)

1. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute for 3 minutes or until tender. Add the turmeric and the next 6 ingredients (turmeric through garlic); saute for 1 minute. Add water and next 4 ingredients (water through diced tomatoes); bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 1 hour.

2. Reserve 2 cups lentil mixture. Place half of remaining mixture in blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed soup into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with other half of remaining mixture. Stir in reserved 2 cups lentil mixture. Garnish with chopped tomatoes and a cilantro sprig if desired. Yield: 11 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

CALORIES 186 (9% from fat); FAT 1.9g (sat 0.3g, mono 1.0g; poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 14.1g; CARB 29.8g; FIBER 13.9g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 4.4mg; SODIUM 412mg; CALC 54mg

---

I like this one a lot too!

* Exported from MasterCook *

North Woods Bean Soup

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. Jan/Feb 2002. Page: 143.
    Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Jan/Feb 2002 Soups

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Cooking spray
    1 cup baby carrots, halved
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    7 ounces turkey kielbasa, halved lengthwise and
    cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 cans (15.8 ounces, each) Great Northern beans,
    drained and rinsed
    1 bag (6-ounce) fresh baby spinach leaves

1. Heat a large saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion, garlic, and kielbasa; saute 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium; cook 5 minutes. Add the broth, Italian seasoning, pepper, and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.

2. Place 2 cups of the soup in a food processor or blender, and process until smooth. Return the pureed mixture to pan. Simmer an additional 5 minutes. Remove soup from heat. Add the spinach, stirring until spinach wilts. Yield: 5 servings (serving size: about 1-1/2 cups).

S(Winning Points):
    "4 points per serving"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 13 Calories; trace Fat (4.2% calories from fat); trace Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

NOTES : Pureeing some of the soup lends body to the dish. Stir in fresh spinach after the soup is removed from the heat so it won't overcook and lose its bright color.

Total time: 27 minutes

Quick Tip: Baby carrots work well for fast dinners - they're already peeled, and they cook in a flash.

Winning Points were calculated based on the nutritional information provided in Cooking Light.

Cooking Light Nutritional Information: Calories 227 (15% from fat), Fat 3.9g (1.2g sat), Fiber 6.7g

Thought of another idea for you: MUFFINS! Super for breakfast or snacks and easy to freeze and reheat in the microwave.

Also, if they like waffles, you could make a batch or two for her freezer. These are nice to have for b-fast, lunch, or dinner. I love CLs multigrain waffles topped with fresh fruit. My kiddos like them with fruit, jam, or PB. Here's the waffle recipe:

Multigrain Pancakes

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: March 1997 PAGE: 48

INGREDIENTS FOR 4 SERVINGS:
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
    1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
    2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup 2% milk
    1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 large egg

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Combine first 7 ingredients; stir well. Combine remaining ingredients; stir
    well. Add to flour mixture, stirring until smooth.

2. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto a hot nonstick griddle or
    nonstick skillet. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges
    look cooked. Serve with maple syrup and low-fat granola, if desired. Yield: 4
    servings (serving size: 3 pancakes).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
    CALORIES 82 (25% from fat); FAT 2.3g (sat 0.6g, mono 0.7g, poly 0.7g); PROTEIN
    3.1g; CARB 12.7g; FIBER 1.1g; CHOL 20mg; IRON 0.7mg; SODIUM 118mg; CALC 75mg

note: I usually make a HUGE batch of this batter and make waffles. I freeze the waffles, and we heat them up in the toaster.

O THANK you! Muffins and Waffles are an excellent idea! And Erin, as soon as I read Pedros I had to quick scroll back up to see where you were from, THEN I scrolled down and saw I was in your hometown. LOL, by the way, Pedros is now a skanky dance club called Vibes.

My friend is going in TOMORROW, they bumped up her delivery date aso her girls are here for the night and I'll take them to the hospital tomorrow to meet their new baby brother. Whee! She'll be going home next Monday and my kids will be at their dad's this weekend so I can cook and freeze up a storm.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Erin, I can make the torilla bake for the night she gets home!
    "A torn jacket is soon mended, but harsh words wound the heart of a child." Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I know! I go home pretty often (although last time I was there was Christmas) so I know about the change! Does anybody actually go there???? I did a lot of theater in high school (Go Lumberjacks!) and Pedro's was our favorite destination for the long lunches we had when we did performances for the school during the week. So, I miss Pedro's! So many fond memories!

I always read the Herald's birth annoucements on-line, so I'll be watching for your friend! At least, I'll know she's there somewhere!

Oh, if you do make it, here's a Mexican Rice recipe that is easy and tastes really good with the casserole. In the scheme of things, it is NOT the kind of cooking most people do on the BB! But it IS easy!

MEXICAN RICE

Serves: 6

Ingredients:
    1-1/2 c. water
    1 c. salsa
    2 chicken bouillon cubes
    2 c. uncooked instant rice

Instructions:
    In a saucepan over medium heat, bring water, salsa and bouillon to a boil
    Stir in rice
    Remove from heat
    Cover and let stand 6 - 8 min. or until liquid is absorbed
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

I made this for my aunt's family when she had my cousin. What's great is that it takes almost no time to put together and almost no time to put on the table! I use whatever I have available in the cheese and tomato products departments. I have, however, always made it with wine since I always seem to have an old open bottle around--you could sub water or broth I bet.

Three-Cheese Chicken Breasts In Tomato Sauce

1/4 cup olive oil
    6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
    1/2 large onion, chopped
    2 large garlic cloves, chopped
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
    1 14 1/2-ounce can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
    1/3 cup dry white wine
    2 bay leaves
    8 ounces penne, freshly cooked
    1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
    1/3 cup grated Asiago or Romano cheese
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375F. Butter 13 x 9 x 2inch glass baking dish. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet; saute until outside is white, about 1 minute per side; transfer to plate. Add onion, garlic and oregano to skillet and saute until onion begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Add tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes with their juices, wine and bay leaves and cook until sauce thickens, breaking up tomatoes with spoon, about 8 minutes; discard bay leaves.

Line prepared dish with penne. Arrange chicken over. Spoon sauce over, covering chicken and pasta completely. Mix cheeses in small bowl. Sprinkle cheeses over sauce. Bake until chicken is just cooked through and sauce bubbles, about 20 minutes.

I did this for a friend a few months ago and they loved it! This thread:

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...threadid=40029

had some good ideas for freezable items, altough it was for a sick friend it had good ideas for pre-preparing food. I posted to it with what I made for my friend who is a new mom.

Keep 'em coming folks. I have a cousin who is on bed rest with her first - 8 months of bed rest. yikes.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Just FYI, the recipe ErinM posted - Chicken Tortilla bake, otherwise known as King Ranch Chicken (when you use a can of Rotel Tomatoes and green chiles and some monterrey jack cheese too!) is definitely freezeable. I did a couple for my sister when she had a baby and they held up very well. She even served one to company (which there always tends to be plenty of when a baby is born!) and everyone loved it.

My friend had her baby this morning Yay! and today my coworker who is about 15 weeks along was diagnosed a having placenta previa. They're hoping that it will simply heal itself but she's off for a week (doctor's orders) and with that condition it's entirely possible that she could be put on bedrest for the duration. So I plan to do more cooking for her too! I have a homemade mac n cheese recipe that I plan to make for her this weekend. She and I make it fairly often and LOVE but it's not exactly healthy fare and besides, I don't think there's a chance in the hot place that it would last long enough to make it to the freezer anyway.

Erin - I went to Vibes once and some strange man grabbed my hair as I was on my way to the bathroom (eeeek!) and I've not been back since!

And Susan, I can't wait to make those super looking soups!

Thanks!!!

Originally posted by Gahoona

Erin - I went to Vibes once and some strange man grabbed my hair as I was on my way to the bathroom (eeeek!) and I've not been back since!

Yikes!!! I KNEW there was a good reason to never go there! Where, may I ask, do you work? Just wonder if we know common people! PM me, if you want.
    Erin

-generic

Congrats to your friend! I have 2 girls and one boy too (he's the baby). Send her our best!

~Susan~