Community Message Boards

Thread: How long does fresh corn stay fresh? and How long do fresh veggies stay nutritous

How long does fresh corn stay fresh? and How long do fresh veggies stay nutritous

Help! I have corn on the cob that I bought 2 weeks ago - I looked at it this morning, that husks are slimy, but the corn itself still looks good. Do you think I can still eat them?

Also I recently read an article that says canned and frozen veggies can be more nutritous for you because of they way they are packed and that fresh veggies lose most of their nutrition after a few days.

I am not a big veggie eater and tend to keep my fresh veggies a long time before they are eaten. Does this mean I am wasting my time eating them?
    Thanks
    Laurie

The word "nutritious" can be misleading.
    Veggies and fruits stored for extended periods do lose vitamin C, but they will retain things like anthocyanines and other polyphenols.

As soon as corn is harvested, the kernals begin turning to starch...so the flavor is compromised.

The opposite is true for potatoes; storing them in the refrigerator turns their starch into sugar, which is why refrigerated potatoes cook up a brownish color.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I would probably toss that corn. I've read from several different sources that corn is very perishable. I think it may be good for a few days, but most recommend eating it the very day you buy it. I think the taste greatly diminishes each day it's in the fridge.

As far as fresh vs canned/ frozen vegetables, I think it depends on the type of vegetable, and how long you have stored it. Things like broccoli, cabbage, carrots, peppers, etc should be fine for about a week. Lettuces and other types of greens last for a few days. I think I have heard the argument that some canned/ frozen vegetables are more nutritious, but I generally prefer the taste of fresh.

Kristal

The farmers at my farmer's market say to remove the husks when you go to store fresh corn on the cob in the fridge. (FYI for next time)

I don't know all the details about canning, etc, but figure that fresh is always, always best. Any time veggies are prepared for long shelf life, there is processing and chemicals involved. So, even with a little Vit C loss, you should probably still come out ahead.

I typically keep my fresh veggies for a week or so because there are only 2 of us and I'm not willing to go to the store 3 times each week!

"The farmers at my farmer's market say to remove the husks when you go to store fresh corn on the cob in the fridge. (FYI for next time)"

This is such a controversial thing! I've heard farmers say that this is bad to do and they practically have heart siezures at the thought. One farmer nearly had fits when someone peeled back the husks to look at the kernels! Theory is that the corn will lose moisture and this speeds up the sugar-to-starch process.

Who knows what's true! But corn should be used as soon as possible and there is just no comparison to fresh corn that has just been picked! I don't think I'd eat that corn.
    kim

"Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love." -Charlie Brown

Thanks - I guess it will get thrown away - what a shame.

interesting comments about whether you keep the husks on or not to store, since they do seel corn on the cob already husked.

Laurie

I agree that i would not eat that corn. But I grew up with corn that got picked and put into the pot in minutes and have never found anything to compare with it.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

I wouldn't eat corn that was bought 2 days ago, never mind 2 weeks. I agree with everyone else. don't eat it.

but you don't have to waste it -- throw it outside for the birds/squirrels.

thanks valchemist, I ahve squirrels and birds that wouldlike this, didnt know they could eat it
    Laurie

oops me again, a neighbor had a bear in their yard last week, if I put the corn out for the birds and squirrels would this also attract a bear?
    Laurie

I am certainly no bear expert, but you should be able to put the corn out in the morning, and the birds and squirrels would probably be done with it by nighttime. If not, you could pick it up that evening. I know in my area, bears only seem to be a problem at night, so I guess they are nocturnal.
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

Originally posted by beacooker
    I am certainly no bear expert, but you should be able to put the corn out in the morning, and the birds and squirrels would probably be done with it by nighttime. If not, you could pick it up that evening. I know in my area, bears only seem to be a problem at night, so I guess they are nocturnal.
    There's bears in Orlando??? What kind?

Beth