Community Message Boards

Thread: Best way to cut up dates?

Best way to cut up dates?

I have just made a batch of the Oatmeal Cookies from the July BA. (recipe is posted on the BB) I have always wondered what the best way is to cut up dates. I tried two different knives and finally resorted to scissors. It is a very tedious (saying it the polite way) job. Any hints or tips for next time?

The cookies are great BTW-I cut the sugar down by about 1/4 and they are still sweet.
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

I would think they would really stick all over scissors. I just take a sharp knife and cut them one or two at a time. no special method. it does take a little patience.

glad to hear you like the cookies! they sound great. I love dates!! (how many times have I mentioned that?)

Scissors are the best, for me anyway. If the dates are particularly sticky, I give the scissor blades a bit of a spritz with cooking spray first. (Works with knives too, BTW.)

Or you can add some of the flour/sugar from the recipe, and put them in the food processor if they only need to be coarsely chopped. Use little pulses. That can be a pain in the patookus, though -- the dates need to be JUST RIGHT for that to work. If they're too hard and dry, they'll just bonk around and not chop; if they're too soft and sticky, they'll glom all over the blades.

Wow-fast responses! Thanks!
    I do put cooking spray on the scissors and knives...guess it is just one of theose jobs!!!!!
    Have you made these cookies Val? I just had another one...very good!
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

no. I haven't made them. I have to go put them into mastercook now before I forget!

bye bye.

This has been a horrible, violent day on this board.

First Kim wants to fillet minions; now you want to cut up your dates.

...and to think of the abuse I've taken over my humble habit of hacking dead chickens...

Yes-next thing you know someone will want to know how to beat an egg....

Nigella Lawson

or how to whip some cream.

Scalding milk is just too cruel to think about.

Nigella Lawson

Can you toss the dates into a cuisinart with a little flour and pulse away
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I gouged the eyes out of some potatoes earlier...
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

Originally posted by beacooker
    I gouged the eyes out of some potatoes earlier...
    And I bet it gave you get pleasure!!!

Wallycat-Compass Rose mentioned that the food processor method is fraught with challenges. Why can't we buy the darn things already chopped! Or maybe you can in the land of everything!

Nigella Lawson

ooops....missed that.
    I don't usually use dates but have done it with raisins or craisins without problems. Maybe dates are just too sticky or something.

Sorry...I'll go ream(sp?) some lemons
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Cool

(Fanning self vigorously)

I think I have to go lie down.

Gail, which of wallycat's images made you swoon? Was it her doing it with raisins, her sticky dates, or her reaming a lemon? All I know is, she obviously gets far more action in the kitchen than I do.
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

Oh my goodness! You people!

I can attest to the fact that the food processor is hit-or-miss. I have had success using it to chop dates, and I have also had experiences in which the dates just thonk around in the bowl making a horrible racket, not getting chopped at all.

Maureen, we actually can get chopped dates here in the "land of everything"- but we can't get Coffee Crisps or Crunchee bars (my husband's new addictions after our trip to Montreal).

Originally posted by gertdog
    we actually can get chopped dates here in the "land of everything
    except, all the chopped dates I have seen for sale have added sugar. and a lot of it.

Snort.

My cuisinart booklet suggests freezing the dates for about 10 minutes before chopping with some of the flour from the recipe. I tried this and it does work, but some of the pieces were still big. My dates were fresh and still chewy. They had not hardened into date rocks yet.

Originally posted by lisas3575
    Snort.
    Double snort.

Think I'll go pr^ck some dough....
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."